Disaster strikes!

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    So now what? Do I get a long slot toaster just for pitta breads? Or do I contribute to global warming, and double my lecky bill by grilling them in the oven?

Oh, and panini bread. That's not going to fit in the new toaster, either. This is going from bad to worse.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Do pitta bread on the hob.
    My V key is broken

How? With a long pair of tongs over an open flame? This is potentially enough to make me want a kebab from a kebab shop just so I can get a decent toasted pitta bread.

Actually, you know what? We're all totally spoiled these days. When I were a lad, I had Sunblest white sliced bread, or nothing. Occasionally the old woman might arrive home with crusty white rolls from the bakers, but that was an occasional weekend treat. Now we're bloody spoilt for choice, we've got so many damned varieties on the shelves in order to compliment the cosmopolitan cuisine that has arrived here, it's difficult to make a selection. 

And here's the thing: Toasters these days just haven't evolved to keep pace with the tidal wave of different breads that have arrived over the years. Try cooking a naan bread without a tandoor and it'll end in tears when you have to throw the toaster away due to it being full of gunge. Fancy a panini?  Forget it, it needs a panini press.

It's high time that 'Which?' magazine lobbied Parliament to introduce a law that lists the type and size in length, width, and thickness of bread that a toaster will toast, which should be displayed in the form of different symbols printed on the box, and bolstered by an online guide per toaster model. At least then I wouldn't have wasted all this research time only to find that I can't fit a common fucking pitta bread in my new fucking toaster. And you lot wouldn't have had to read all the mind-numbingly tedious shite that I've written on the subject.

Plain boils my piss, so it does.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Naan's get chucked in the oven for a few minutes.

Pitts'a get stuffed with cheese and bacon and chucked under the grill for a few minutes.

Pannini's get chucked in the bin.

Probablem sorted, now go get a kebab.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

See? None of them fit in a toaster. Case proven.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Toasters make bread into toast, you need a sandwich toaster, which toasters sandwiches (obviously).

Go forth to the toaster shop and check out the breville range.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

edited October 2014

Ah, but the point is my old 4-slice, long slot toaster did everything I required in a single unit.

Breville 'cut and seal' sandwich toasters are shite, we had one, and binned it because it was too much of a palaver, and when you bit into the finished article, it burnt the skin off your tongue. And to add insult to injury you then had to clean the shite off the toaster plates, which was a pain, too. I bought a panini press which has graced the kitchen worktop, and simply gathered dust for about 7 years. All these things are faddy electrical items (ice-cream makers is another example) which do a specific job, some good, some not so good.

Do I now have to invest in different toasters for different breads to clutter up the kitchen? Not on your nelly. I shall have to cut down on bread selection instead.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I assumed you had an electric hob sorry.
    My V key is broken
    holnrew said:
    I assumed you had an electric hob sorry.

No worries hol. Anyway, I'm just venting and talking shite as per.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    edited October 2014
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback