The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7261
    If Kimi’s designated number 2 at Ferrari, why did Vettel feel the need to shove him into the wall at the start?  Not cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Nay, the Averagebot did his job today. Toto looked pissy in Australia when he crashed but the failure today was Mercedes themselves. Again. 
    He was good today but some things played into his hands.
    Credit where credit is due, Bottas beat all of the people ahead of him in the championship this weekend. 

A load played into Ricciardo's hands but that doesn't detract from his performance today. It's nailed him on as the one driver to step in when Hammy or Vettel move teams or leave the sport.
    I agree .. you always need some luck .. Hamilton's not getting much right now but he can thank Mad Max for destroying Vettel's race .. if he can get a competitive car Ricciardo looks like a future world champion .. and he's a nice bloke. Max will be fuming.
    There's not much wrong with that Red Bull at the moment, it'd be even quicker had RBR not been pricks towards Renault.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Garthy said:
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    Nay, the Averagebot did his job today. Toto looked pissy in Australia when he crashed but the failure today was Mercedes themselves. Again. 
    Credit where credit is due, Bottas beat all of the people ahead of him in the championship this weekend. 

A load played into Ricciardo's hands but that doesn't detract from his performance today. It's nailed him on as the one driver to step in when Hammy or Vettel move teams or leave the sport.
    I agree .. you always need some luck .. Hamilton's not getting much right now but he can thank Mad Max for destroying Vettel's race .. if he can get a competitive car Ricciardo looks like a future world champion .. and he's a nice bloke. Max will be fuming.
    There's not much wrong with that Red Bull at the moment, it'd be even quicker had RBR not been pricks towards Renault.
    Agree about the RB car. If it had a Merc engine it would the best car on the circuit. I guess Honda next year ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Red Bull played an absolute blinder today - a perfect example of quick thinking, skill and daring.  Ricciardo did a magnificent job cleanly picking off his opponents one by one.  Max... not so much.

I am trying very hard not to notice that the whole situation was kicked off by their junior team.
    Fretwired said:
    Garthy said:
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

Agree about the RB car. If it had a Merc engine it would the best car on the circuit. I guess Honda next year ..
    Not necessarily, their chassis is no better than Ferrari or Mercedes, but their strategists are in a league of one as shown today.
    edited April 2018
    Garthy said:

Not necessarily, their chassis is no better than Ferrari or Mercedes, but their strategists are in a league of one as shown today.
    RB's chassis is thought to be the best in the paddock. You're right about their strategy team .. Mercedes are dullards by comparison. They should have brought Hamilton in ...

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Isn't it amazing how often the leaders will do nothing in the hope that everyone behind them will also do nothing?

The number of times there is a safety car or other event, and (usually Merc) the leaders just do nothing and hand the initiative to the chasers!

Does anybody really need to be told that if there is a safety car, you need to have a damned good reason to not pit?
    Is it just me, or does Hamilton always sound really out of shape over the radio?

it doesn’t seem to affect his performance, but he always sounds like he’s gasping for breath.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22531
    Fretwired said:
    The Constructors Championship is interesting though. 3 teams use Merc engines. One is at the top with 85 points. The other two are in the bottom two spots with 1 point between them. 

Force India are open with the fact that they have problems. 

http://www.planetf1.com/news/green-force-india-issue-is-very-real/

I think Mallya is finding out tomorrow if he's going to be extradited. So the team has 1 point, no pace, they're behidn Sauber, their big boss is hopefully going to face trial for being a big shit, they're still being linked with that pisspot Rich Energy operation...

Cols said:
    Is it just me, or does Hamilton always sound really out of shape over the radio?

it doesn’t seem to affect his performance, but he always sounds like he’s gasping for breath.
    I think we (Brits) notice more nuances in Hamilton, Riccardo & Hartley because they're the only ones conversing over the radio in their mother tongue. Vettel's command of the English language is exceptional but you wouldn't mistake him for a native and I think the radio calls reflect that.
    Cols said:

He's finding out that it's really hard to drive these big wheeled cars and record shit for Snapchat at the same time. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:

He's used to being at the front .. now he's finding he's only the fourth best and breathing in the exhaust fumes of the cars in front is choking him .. :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Spanish press via BBC reporting Alonso will be replaced by Lando Norris. Does that mean Alonso is leaving F1 or he's agreed to go somewhere else?

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    End of the season apparently.

End of the season apparently.
    Yes ... at the end of his contract.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    No doubt he’ll be linked to every F1 team under the sun from now on. But he could go elsewhere. 

Gosh, is it that time of year already?

With precious few sponsors and no Honda money, McLaren can ill afford Alonso’s current salary.  In addition, they don’t seem anywhere near challenging for podiums, let alone wins.  They have little to entice Alonso to remain.

Sadly for a driver of Alonso’s calibre the doors at the top teams appear to be firmly shut.  Bridges have been burned at Merc and Ferrari and Red Bull only recruit internally.  The choices seem to be muddling around in the midfield for the rest of his days, or leave F1.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited April 2018
    I think Alonso will give it one more season in F1 to see if he can win another title in a competitive car, and then go Indycar Racing if that fails.

I don't think he is ready to retire from motor-racing in the immediate future.
    I hope he goes to America. Both Indy and IMSA have started really well this year. He's won titles in F1, he has nowt to prove there. Fresh challenges are needed. 

edited April 2018
    I would hope for him being the second driver in history to do the triple.  Monaco, Indy 500, Le Mans.