• sweepysweepy Frets: 4264
    PC_Dave said:
    Fretwired said:
    . rumours he could just quit F1.

Fingers crossed
    I’d be surprised if he is still in F1 for the 2021 season
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Well, that would be the simplest explanation.  He did seem to be back to his vexing habit of moaning over the team radio for no obvious benefit (“Why didn’t you do this, why didn’t you do that, etc”).
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    sweepy said:
    I think he’s pissed off with a Mercedes bringing him in when he could have finished second if he’d stayed on the mediums 
    I don't think so .. he said his tyres were knackered and he had to come in when Mercedes brought him in (see BBC). He thought he might have been able to eek them out if that was the plan but the strategy boys said Vettel would have hunted him down and probably overtaken him.

His comments have nothing to do with F1 ... the black dog visits most people in their lifetime.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Well, that would be the simplest explanation.  He did seem to be back to his vexing habit of moaning over the team radio for no obvious benefit (“Why didn’t you do this, why didn’t you do that, etc”).
    I think the Ferrari boys and Mr V outdo Hamilton. He asks measured questions - he doesn't rant like the others.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5108
    Hamilton asked relevant questions during the race; it’s his job to push the team as well. 
    It’s a question of what’s useful at the time, and what’s better left for closed-door debriefs.  One of the basic rules of people management is not to bawl somebody out in front of others, except in very specific circumstances.  It’s unhelpful and demotivating.

Example of useful questioning or feedback:

”How have I lost that much time?”
    ”These tyres are done - we need to pit soon”

The first helps the driver to understand where he’s losing time and potentially what he might do to close the gap.  The second gives the team valuable feedback about how the car’s behaving.

Examples of pointless questioning or feedback:

”Why did you put me on the mediums instead of the hards?”
    ”I’m basically out of the race.”
    ”This is a complete f**k up.”

Any answer to the first one will not change the tyres you’re on; the decision was already made. All you’re doing by saying this is making a very public proclamation that you don’t trust your team’s strategic decision making.  It’s a good one to analyse in debrief for future learnings, but not to air in public.  The second and third are just plain moaning.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    If the occasional radio bleating gets it out of his head without impacting him on track, and that in turn helps him refocus, it's a perfectly sensible thing to do. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6516
    I thought this particular comment was down to some sort of vegan/animal/climate concern?
    goldtop said:
    I thought this particular comment was down to some sort of vegan/animal/climate concern?
    I think you're right. But if someone in F1 got the environmental vision bigtime, they'd have some serious thinking to do about their involvement - maybe this is that 
    Red ones are better. 
    Off to Formula E then?
    TimmyO said:
    goldtop said:
    I think you're right. But if someone in F1 got the environmental vision bigtime, they'd have some serious thinking to do about their involvement - maybe this is that 
    ^^

This.

Apparently he was telling his team mates to go vegan and not to go to watch the dolphin shows (do they have such things in Japan). He was in an odd mood when he turned up in Japan.

He's now being ridiculed on social media ... I hope he's OK.

edited October 2019
    Cols said:
    Off to Formula E then?
    But not environmentally friendly either - apparently most of the carbon footprint is hauling all the gear and people around the world and manufacturing the cars. F1's use of petrol isn't that significant (part of the justification for not going electric).

Breaking: Just read Hamilton has an issue with Petronus. I think he's Greta's new pal.

I don’t understand why questions have to be termed “bleating” or “whinging”?
    prowla said:
    To use my beloved children as an example:

Question: “Can we have pizza for dinner Daddy?”

Bleating/whinging: “Why did you make me roast chicken for dinner?!  I wanted pizza!”
    prowla said:
    It's ok, if you try you'll get there, I believe in you 
    Red ones are better. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    Racing Point have lodged a complaint against Renault

https://wtf1.com/post/racing-point-is-protesting-the-legality-of-renaults-car/
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    Cols said:
    prowla said:
    To use my beloved children as an example:

Question: “Can we have pizza for dinner Daddy?”

Bleating/whinging: “Why did you make me roast chicken for dinner?!  I wanted pizza!”
    Well, going with your metaphor, more like "The chicken isn't cooked properly and the potatoes are hard."...
    TimmyO said:
    prowla said:
    It's ok, if you try you'll get there, I believe in you 
    My comment was rhetorical. :-)

In these says of armchair warriors you can't ask for an explanation, you have to "whinge", you can't dislike or be indifferent to something, you have to be a "hater", you can't like something, you have to be a "fanboi", and so-on.
    PC_Dave said:
    Racing Point have lodged a complaint against Renault

https://wtf1.com/post/racing-point-is-protesting-the-legality-of-renaults-car/
    Could be serious depending on how long they’ve been using it.

It does raise the question of where the line is for “drive the car alone and unaided”.  For example, power steering, semiautomatic gearboxes and even the wretched and relentless nannying of the drivers over pit-car radio certainly aid the driver considerably.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Renault stripped of their points from Japan:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50161967