The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    Really enjoyed that race - had a good mix of everything, nothing too crazy at the front, some excellent mid field scraps, and a little bit of controversy.

But Grosjean, why oh why.....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_Dave said:
    Really enjoyed that race - had a good mix of everything, nothing too crazy at the front, some excellent mid field scraps, and a little bit of controversy.

But Grosjean, why oh why.....
    I find it a dull track.  Far too many 90 degree bends.   Though good to see Ferrari back in the game I didn't like the way they  appeared to orchestrate vettels win.

• I enjoyed it on replay, and very glad to see Seb winning again. Hopefully this isn't just a blip and Ferrari's upgrades really have brought them back to being able to fight for wins. 

I didn't think the strategy was inherently planned to give Vettel the jump on Charles; to me it looked like just an attempt to undercut Lewis combined with a barnstorming outlap from Vettel that happened to be so effective as to jump both of them. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I enjoyed it on replay, and very glad to see Seb winning again. Hopefully this isn't just a blip and Ferrari's upgrades really have brought them back to being able to fight for wins. 

I didn't think the strategy was inherently planned to give Vettel the jump on Charles; to me it looked like just an attempt to undercut Lewis combined with a barnstorming outlap from Vettel that happened to be so effective as to jump both of them. 
    Yeah exactly this - I think Seb had a point to prove, and Ferrari saw the opportunity for a 1 - 2 and took it. Leclerc has had his wins, and I think they were happy with either as long as they both brought the cars home. Leclerc's team radio showed that.

• McLaren going back to Mercedes from 2021. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49859259

Can't believe that this deal was agreed without exploring the idea of Norris heading to Mercedes in the future. 

• McLaren going back to Mercedes from 2021. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49859259

Can't believe that this deal was agreed without exploring the idea of Norris heading to Mercedes in the future. 
    Plenty on r/formula1 suggesting Mercedes themselves may sell the team when Lewis retires, making McLaren Mercedes the lead team again. Just conjecture at the moment, but after 10-ish years of winning everything, you would blame them. It’s only downhill from there, and there have been plenty of rumours Toto might be off to run F1 itself when he’s done with Mercedes.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    People have been predicting Mercedes to sell the team since 2011.
  • Garthy said:
    People have been predicting Mercedes to sell the team since 2011.
    Well that’s true. But j can’t see them staying forever. Either way, probably good for McLaren 
  • Seems the Mercedes move was mostly Seidl's idea; I thought he was an excellent hire the day it was announced. So between sensible management structures, getting rid of Alonso and getting back to decent engines, they've now removed the last traces of Ron...
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Multi 21, Seb. Multi 21...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Feel sorry for Seb, he did a great job, and it’s unusual for the Ferrari to let go. Shame for Charles as well. Sheer luck for the Mercs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    PC_Dave said:
    Feel sorry for Seb, he did a great job, and it’s unusual for the Ferrari to let go.
    Meh. The guys a tool if you ask me. Stroppy bad loser and an average F1 driver with 4 more titles that his talent deserves. Mistake prone this year and disobeying team orders, I bet everyone loves having him on the team. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Feel sorry for Seb, he did a great job, and it’s unusual for the Ferrari to let go.
    Meh. The guys a tool if you ask me. Stroppy bad loser and an average F1 driver with 4 more titles that his talent deserves. Mistake prone this year and disobeying team orders, I bet everyone loves having him on the team. 
    Good thing I didn’t ask you, isn’t it?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Seb was in the best car at the right time.  The red bull was untouchable for several years and any driver would have won championships.  It clear now he is with Ferrari that he has failed to repeat that success and now has Charles beating him so he has to resort to double crossing his teammate to try to get a win.  Im glad he went out.  However i would rather have seen ferrari hold him up for 5 seconds in the pit lane as their own punishment for flouting the pre agreed strategy.  I also hope that Charles takes him round the back of the bike sheds for a chat.  He's an obnoxious little weasel.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Seb was in the best car at the right time.  The red bull was untouchable for several years and any driver would have won championships.  It clear now he is with Ferrari that he has failed to repeat that success and now has Charles beating him so he has to resort to double crossing his teammate to try to get a win.  Im glad he went out.  However i would rather have seen ferrari hold him up for 5 seconds in the pit lane as their own punishment for flouting the pre agreed strategy.  I also hope that Charles takes him round the back of the bike sheds for a chat.  He's an obnoxious little weasel.  
    Except Mark Webber was barely scraping podiums, a lot of the time. The RB during that run was notoriously finicky and required a very specific driving style to maximise lap time, and Seb was excellent at that and fully deserved those titles imo. The best car pretty much always wins, that’s not Vettel’s fault.

As for yesterday, Hamilton and Rosberg would have done *exactly* the same thing 4 years ago and people would’ve called it brilliant entertainment. Tbh Alonso or Schumacher (and probably Max) would’ve just taken the slipstream and never accepted any pre-agreement to give a position back in the first place... 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5106
    If Leclerc had been right up Vettel's chuff or in DR range then there might've been something to argue about, but he never got close enough.
  • axisus said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Except Mark Webber was barely scraping podiums, a lot of the time. The RB during that run was notoriously finicky and required a very specific driving style to maximise lap time, and Seb was excellent at that and fully deserved those titles imo. The best car pretty much always wins, that’s not Vettel’s fault.

As for yesterday, Hamilton and Rosberg would have done *exactly* the same thing 4 years ago and people would’ve called it brilliant entertainment. Tbh Alonso or Schumacher (and probably Max) would’ve just taken the slipstream and never accepted any pre-agreement to give a position back in the first place... 
    Yer,yer yer...III get all that.  I just really dont like Vettel.  

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    edited September 2019
    prowla said:
    If Leclerc had been right up Vettel's chuff or in DR range then there might've been something to argue about, but he never got close enough.
    Yup, Seb was steaming away as soon as he got past LeClerc, he was 4 seconds clear not long after and was chucking in fastest laps. Personally I don’t like him or his tactics though. 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Horner himself said that you get more points and less headaches if your drivers are 1st and 5th and chose to keep Vettel and Webber apart where possible after 2010.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    Albon should have been penalised. There is no reasonable chance of lunging at the apex there and the car in front not already be turned in to it 
    Red ones are better.