The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Cols said:
    What happened to Perez?  After his strange spin he didn’t make any progress back through the field.
    Spun on the way through the Maggots/Chapel combo - he was close behind both Mclarens (iirc) so had less downforce than expected. Roll on the 2022 cars...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    I think there is definitely mileage in changing the format to have more action and racing over the weekend. IF next years cars actually work in close proximity to a car in front, I’d love to see them tweak it so it all means a bit more and does the job of providing more action. Perhaps qualy on Friday, a half distance race on Saturday, with tyres that can go flat out for the whole distance and half the weekends points awarded. Then a reverse grid on those results for the long race on Sunday 

And yes, I actually would feel differently about Mazepin causing an off to Russell’s  I don’t like inequality anywhere but as a steward I would take how often a driver has an incident into account. If a driver was very rarely involved in an enquiry I’d be more likely to conclude they’d made every effort to be considerate and let it it go. I’m not saying that’s what should have happened here as I don’t remember any of the details. 
    dazzajl said:
    I think there is definitely mileage in changing the format to have more action and racing over the weekend. IF next years cars actually work in close proximity to a car in front, I’d love to see them tweak it so it all means a bit more and does the job of providing more action. Perhaps qualy on Friday, a half distance race on Saturday, with tyres that can go flat out for the whole distance and half the weekends points awarded. Then a reverse grid on those results for the long race on Sunday 

And yes, I actually would feel differently about Mazepin causing an off to Russell’s  I don’t like inequality anywhere but as a steward I would take how often a driver has an incident into account. If a driver was very rarely involved in an enquiry I’d be more likely to conclude they’d made every effort to be considerate and let it it go. I’m not saying that’s what should have happened here as I don’t remember any of the details. 
    So basically the F2 structure, give or take. I wouldn't be against that from an entertainment perspective. 

The trouble is you have a lot of people trying to reconcile "sanctity of the Grand Prix", the concept of "pole position", and a desire to get people engaged on Friday Saturday AND Sunday, all while trying to avoid accusations of gimmickry.  It's basically impossible.  

Do we know if next year's Pirellis are still going to be made of cheese? 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7727
    Cols said:
    What happened to Perez?  After his strange spin he didn’t make any progress back through the field.
    Spun on the way through the Maggots/Chapel combo - he was close behind both Mclarens (iirc) so had less downforce than expected. Roll on the 2022 cars...
    I saw the spin (which itself was in an odd place to lose the rear end), but I thought it was strange that he didn’t come tearing back through the field.  Stuck behind Latifi until he retired.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8105
    Well this is a bit of a pisser:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/george-russell-british-gp-grid-penalty/

Seems a bit ridiculous to me: far worse first lap incidents have gone unpunished :/
    And Sainz meandering back onto the track in front of a flat out car goes unpunished
    Red ones are better. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    Cols said:
    Cols said:
    I saw the spin (which itself was in an odd place to lose the rear end), but I thought it was strange that he didn’t come tearing back through the field.  Stuck behind Latifi until he retired.
    I think there was significant damage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Cols said:

He flat-spotted his tyres and was suffering from major vibrations, hence the poor performance and eventual retirement before the suspension failed.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • dazzajl said:

So basically the F2 structure, give or take. I wouldn't be against that from an entertainment perspective. 

The trouble is you have a lot of people trying to reconcile "sanctity of the Grand Prix", the concept of "pole position", and a desire to get people engaged on Friday Saturday AND Sunday, all while trying to avoid accusations of gimmickry.  It's basically impossible.  

Do we know if next year's Pirellis are still going to be made of cheese? 
    I watched a video on YouTube about next year's tires. The narrator on that video seemed to think the tires should be a bit slower but a lot tougher. Whether that actually happens, though, we'll have to wait and see.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    Its looking very hot at Silverstone.  Im not sure my usual factor 50 would be sufficient.  

• Its looking very hot at Silverstone.  Im not sure my usual factor 50 would be sufficient.  
    You mean "Silverstone - The Home of British Motorsport"?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Fuck happened there?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8892
    tFB Trader
    Quality first lap until max went off. Be interesting to see the replay 
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Fuck happened there?
    Lewis clipped max 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:
    Fuck happened there?
    Lewis clipped max 
    Max cut across Lewis 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bloody hell! Glad max seems to be ok. 

Racing incident imo. Both had plenty of room and Max shouldn’t have turned in so much. Not the first time Max has had that sort of accident, though granted not as high stakes in the past. 

Cracking first lap - I suspect the rest may be a little calmer
  • Don't know who is at fault there. First viewing made me think Lewis hit Max but second viewing it looks like Max was trying to cut across.

Either way, glad Max could walk away. Bet he'll be sore tomorrow though.
    I think Max just didn't realise Lewis had got alongside and turned in - racing incident 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Racing incident, but the way that max had been defending robustly on the previous corners, it was somewhat inevitable.  Lewis needs to take it very easy for the east of the race to maximise the points at this stage.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I.bloody removed McLaren from my fantasy team and out Red Bull in! Doh 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TimmyO said:
    poopot said:
    Fuck happened there?
    Lewis clipped max 
    Max cut across Lewis 
    Yes, I didn’t mean lewis was at fault per se. I’m glad max is okay. Amazing to see that sort of action