The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    sweepy said:
    Piastri has already won a race albeit a Sprint, I think we'll see Max waltz off with this one with Lando and Piastri 2nd and 3rd. Ferrari need to hire Hannah Schmidt, as their  strategy team is woeful
    Well I did mean a real race win :) Red Bull aren't good on bumpy circuits so I'm keeping them crossed!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1627
    Red Bull can put on more downforce given how efficient their car is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746
    euan said:
    Red Bull can put on more downforce given how efficient their car is. 
    But they will still need so soften the setup to deal with the bumps and that’s where they are struggling currently, with the higher ride height the car seems to become less balanced. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    Yeah they've dug into this on the Race podcast and Max mentioned it too, their car is very stiff laterally to control loads and ride height affecting the ground effect aero. This means they lose performance on bumpy circuits when they run the ride height higher for the bumps. They'll struggle at all the bumpy circuits giving others a fighting chance finally. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• ColsCols Frets: 7273
    Boromedic said:
    Yeah they've dug into this on the Race podcast and Max mentioned it too, their car is very stiff laterally to control loads and ride height affecting the ground effect aero. This means they lose performance on bumpy circuits when they run the ride height higher for the bumps. They'll struggle at all the bumpy circuits giving others a fighting chance finally. 
    Good spot.

The Red Bull’s aerodynamic superiority requires it to run very low to the ground, and in order to keep that stable it needs to run a stiff suspension.  Which, I suppose, is okay if you’re the kind of driver who’s happy with a snappy car, like Verstappen.  Schumacher was like this, and would cheerfully cope with a loose rear end as long as the front was responsive.  Alonso will drive around any handling quirk you throw at him.

In Monaco, Red Bull simply couldn’t find a compromise between softening the suspension to cope with the bumps and kerbs and not bleeding too much downforce.

Hilariously, it’s not too far off the predicament of Mercedes (and others) in 2022 with porpoising.  Running the car stiff gave good downforce, but once the porpoising set in you needed enough suspension travel to cope with it.  So it was a balancing act   In Monaco, Mercedes simply ran out of adjustment on rear ride height.

After two particularly arduous bumpy races at Baku and Monaco, things came to a head at a team principal’s meeting at Montreal, where Horner told Wolff “If you’ve got a problem, change your fucking car”.  The irony is killing me.

I’m sure Newey might have some good ideas, but apparently he’s off the active list as far as F1 is concerned.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843

Admittedly oval racing isn’t the same sport but F1 really has to do something about that joke of a track.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

IMG_4356.jpeg 351.6K
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    Mad comparison.

Completely different sports as you say.
  • Lewis on the 'Hot Ones' show...

Credit to the guy, did a lot better than I would have!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7711

Admittedly oval racing isn’t the same sport but F1 really has to do something about that joke of a track.
    Still wouldn’t watch Oval racing 
    Red ones are better. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    TimmyO said:

Oval racing is great in highlights form.  
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    sinbaadi said:
    TimmyO said:

Oval racing is great in highlights form.  
    Whereas the F1 TV editors have SFA when compiling the Monaco GP highlights show.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    TimmyO said:

I’ve been to a handful of oval races, including the Daytona 500, and would absolutely recommend it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    I don't mind a good oval race. I don't want to watch a whole season of them but Indy & Daytona can be great
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746

Indy isn’t all ovals.  Detroit next, a street circuit with most likely far more action than there was at Monaco.

Then Road America and Laguna Seca, both great circuits.

I don’t follow Indy but always enjoy it when I watch it.  They don’t seem to have loads of ovals anymore and seem to have a good amount of variation.  The cars are quite a bit smaller and more evenly matched, so even the street circuits tend to be exciting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    ^ I still remember that Indy race Mark Blundell won (not oval) where there were 3 cars neck and neck over the finish line.
    Aaaand Ocon’s out of Alpine at the end of the year. Not sure who will be feeling the biggest winners out of that decision - I imagine they’re both happy with it
    Aaaand Ocon’s out of Alpine at the end of the year. Not sure who will be feeling the biggest winners out of that decision - I imagine they’re both happy with it
    I can't see him staying F1 at all now - nowhere for him to go.

• Well it was never destined to end well between Ocon and Gasly. Always been bad blood since they were youngsters. Can understand why Alpine signed them for the 'all French' media/advertising angle, but was a poor decision from a sporting perspective.
    Well it was never destined to end well between Ocon and Gasly. Always been bad blood since they were youngsters. Can understand why Alpine signed them for the 'all French' media/advertising angle, but was a poor decision from a sporting perspective.
    Yeah - that "All French" approach has really worked well for them over the years...

I can't see him staying F1 at all now - nowhere for him to go.
    Agreed. 

And it's not like his recent performances have shown him to be a calm team player who doesn't lose his cool like his younger days... !