The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5893
    Really don’t mind Max taking the win when he actually has to work for it. Would have much rather see Lando take the top step though. 

It is nice to see McLaren back at the sharp end. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

IMG_4301.jpeg 462.6K
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746
    dazzajl said:
    Really don’t mind Max taking the win when he actually has to work for it. Would have much rather see Lando take the top step though. 

It is nice to see McLaren back at the sharp end. 
    This race almost seems more significant than the Lando win at Miami.  I thought the gap was reduced because that's a slower circuit, where sometimes the RB advantage seems reduces, plus the safety car changed the race.

Yesterday was a fast circuit and Lando was within touching distance on genuine pace.  Hopefully this momentum continues and at least MV has to work hard in every race now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7273
    Any idea what happened to Alonso?  I know he had a compromised qualifying and had to start from the pit lane, but he made zero progress during the race.  Very unlike him.

I reckon Ricciardo’s goose is now well and truly cooked.  Although it was his best qualifying yet since rejoining the team, Tsunoda gave him yet another pasting right across the weekend.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27695
    Fully agree with @menamestom and @Cols ;

Tsunoda is finally living up to his potential so unless DR destroys him by the 2/3 point of the season he's not going to get another opportuinity. 

Alonso just looked slow all weekend. Not sure if it's just updates not working so he's overdriving, but that doesn't sound like him. They said they'd treat the race like a test session but you'd expect that to still lead to some forward movement

Monaco will be a shit test as usual, but it'll be very interesting to see how Max defends 2 Mclarens when they get to a circuit that really allows overtaking. Split strategies with 2 drivers pretty level on pace will make it very difficult to beat both of them if this weekend is anything to go by. Canada, Austria and Sivlerstone could all be great. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    Much better race now Max has some jeopardy, especially considering everyone beat his teammate :)

Fingers crossed Charles can get the pole and win at his home GP, that would be great. I think Danny Ric will be gone by mid season hopefully, let Lawson have a go.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    Much better race now Max has some jeopardy, especially considering everyone beat his teammate :)

Fingers crossed Charles can get the pole and win at his home GP, that would be great. I think Danny Ric will be gone by mid season hopefully, let Lawson have a go.
    Everyone (with the exception of Lawson, Tsunoda and Perez) would love to see DR doing well.  But the only flash of brilliance since he returned last summer has been sprint qualifying in Miami.  Everything else has been reasonable at best.

A Perez replacement would need to be showing metronomically fast and consistent pace.  In 2023 Tsunoda marginally shaded DR in qualifying and the race, and in 2024 has done better in the 7 races so far.  Even if he picks up the pace now, I think there’s enough underperformance to outweigh anything less than a slew of pole positions and race wins.

In other news, ‘a well placed source’ has Bottas returning to Williams next year.  If true, it would leave the highly rated Antonelli only one place to go for an F1 berth next year…
    Cols said:
    Boromedic said:

Everyone (with the exception of Lawson, Tsunoda and Perez) would love to see DR doing well.  But the only flash of brilliance since he returned last summer has been sprint qualifying in Miami.  Everything else has been reasonable at best.

A Perez replacement would need to be showing metronomically fast and consistent pace.  In 2023 Tsunoda marginally shaded DR in qualifying and the race, and in 2024 has done better in the 7 races so far.  Even if he picks up the pace now, I think there’s enough underperformance to outweigh anything less than a slew of pole positions and race wins.

In other news, ‘a well placed source’ has Bottas returning to Williams next year.  If true, it would leave the highly rated Antonelli only one place to go for an F1 berth next year…
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Antonelli replaces Sargent at the summer break, does the second half of this year with Williams before dropping straight into Merc next season. 

They ain’t winning next year anyway but will want him up to speed for 26. Considering they believe he’s at least the equal of Lando & Oscar I reckon that’s fairly plausible. 

And Tsunoda is the guy for Red Bull if they decide to replace Perez. That’ll depend on whether this weekend was a blip for Checo or a regression to the mean…  
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3962
    edited May 21
    Liking this Senna tribute McLaren livery for Monaco...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

That’s a lovely touch.

However, I can’t be the only one who’s now thinking that Senna missed a trick by not signing for Benetton in 1992.

• danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2714
    Cols said:

That’s a lovely touch.

However, I can’t be the only one who’s now thinking that Senna missed a trick by not signing for Benetton in 1992.

Well, it’s not canarinho yellow for starters ;)
    I can't help thinking they've missed a trick by NOT PAINTING IT THE COLOUR OF THE MCLARENS HE WON HIS TITLES IN...  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I can't help thinking they've missed a trick by NOT PAINTING IT THE COLOUR OF THE MCLARENS HE WON HIS TITLES IN...  
    Their major sponsors probably wouldn’t be keen to give Marlboro any more free publicity.  Even without the logo, there’s the unconscious association.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    Cols said:
    Their major sponsors probably wouldn’t be keen to give Marlboro any more free publicity.  Even without the logo, there’s the unconscious association.
    It's a shame.

Tobacco ban doesn't help sometimes.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

Cols said:
    I know but we’re all thinking it anyway, 28 years after they last used it even though they sponsored Ferrari for most of the years since. 

Mind you I’d be just as happy with a Chrome-sponsored, chrome-coloured McLaren… they almost did it last year but I guess the chrome paint/vinyl is too heavy to do properly
  • euaneuan Frets: 1627
    I think McLaren actually explained the reason quite well, plenty of other drivers are associated with the red and white car. Those colours are associated with Senna
    Verstappen complaining in FP2 that his car is bouncing all over the place like a kangaroo and it’s giving him headaches.

I do hope that Horner told him “If you’ve got a problem, change your fucking car”.

https://youtu.be/BKupMHQ0YKA?feature=shared 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ok I will happily admit the McLaren looks great on track. And looks like Ferrari and McLaren might both have a good shot to get one over MV this week. 

All that yellow makes me miss Jordan...
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4633
    I bloody hope Charles gets the win tomorrow. Ferrari let him down big time a few seasons ago when he was leading 
  • Wow, couple of real turn ups for the books on Q1 - Alonso and Perez both out. Seemingly just on pace too, no yellow flags or mechanical issues to blame!