The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• HoofHoof Frets: 498
    Hoof said:
    It's great to see McLaren winning after so long in the doldrums. Shame Williams isn't up there with them. They were so dominant.
    I'd rather they ceased to be called Williams. The Williams family have left the organisation and all it serves to do is to dilute the legacy of the team. 
    We need to have a chat about McLaren then.

When Bruce went that clearly diluted the legacy too.
    McLaren have honoured the legacy of Bruce. It has become a strong company, a global car brand and has won multiple championships since then.

Williams have been in a slow, sad decline for the last 20 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 6
    TimmyO said:
    But seriously - the safety car procedure - how is it not a story - if it hadn’t picked up 2nd placed Max then Lando would not have come out of his stop in 1st… 
    The stewards seem to be dithering over the deployment of the safety car or VSC lately. The timing of it in China was odd too. Almost as if they either want to use it as an opportunity to shake up the race or are so self concious in being seen not to do so they actually end up shooting themselves in the foot. Safety car conditions should be called as soon as it is clear that it is needed and cars should be allowed to race up to either the point of the incident or the start/finish line (whichever comes first). That way it removes any speculation that it is being used to affect the race result.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27623
    Hoof said:
    Hoof said:
    It's great to see McLaren winning after so long in the doldrums. Shame Williams isn't up there with them. They were so dominant.
    I'd rather they ceased to be called Williams. The Williams family have left the organisation and all it serves to do is to dilute the legacy of the team. 

McLaren have honoured the legacy of Bruce. It has become a strong company, a global car brand and has won multiple championships since then.

Which is more Frank's fault than anyone else's... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Hoof said:
    Hoof said:

Which is more Frank's fault than anyone else's... 
    That's true. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786
    Hoof said:
    Hoof said:

And then they had the Peugeot years where the cars were more likely to blow up on the grid than make the first corner.

• ColsCols Frets: 7254
    Really enjoyed that, and not just because Lando bagged his long-overdue win.  There was great racing all through the field, with particular kudos to Ocon and Gasly for racing each other wheel to wheel hard but absolutely fair.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Hoof said:
    I've heard MasterCard are keen to find a way to promote their new "Traveling Abroad? Currency Converter and Hotel Reviews, plus Flight information and Cash App" app.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7693
    Maybe he's off to do the paint relicing on vintage Ferrari reissues. In which case... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Make way make way!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4995
    Sooooo, Albon commits to Williams, which is both good news and possibly not so good for Albon. All this off track action is more interesting than most races at the mo. Here's hoping McLaren's upgrades prove to work at more trad circuits.

Hopefully more announcements coming soon ;)

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:
    Sooooo, Albon commits to Williams, which is both good news and possibly not so good for Albon. All this off track action is more interesting than most races at the mo. Here's hoping McLaren's upgrades prove to work at more trad circuits.

Hopefully more announcements coming soon ;)
    I mean, where else could he go? 

Merc almost certainly have Verstappen Sainz and Antonelli ahead of him in their queue, and he’d be far to want to go back to Red Bull. 

Vowles is clearly doing a good job and hopefully that means a massive push to get eveything lined up to build the best possible car for 2026 above all else 
    Yeah for sure, anything else available would've been a sideways move and Vowles rates him which helps. I hope they get back to better ways in future, Albon is a good driver and deserves it. 

• ColsCols Frets: 7254
    Despite his fine performances since joining Williams, it looks like opportunities were limited.  
    Red Bull might have been the best option, but he’s been there and Perez seems to be doing enough racking up points without pissing off Max to keep his seat.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12487
    Albon’s a decent driver but I wouldn’t have thought Red Bull would’ve had him back, he wasn’t exactly very successful in his time there. He’s probably hoping that Williams will do a McLaren and will get a stonking car sorted. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3202
    tFB Trader
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    RiftAmps said:
    Yup. It's the obvious answer. My understanding is bikes prefer it as well and it's just track days and amateur racers that prefer tarmac because it reduces repair bills, but I always find it a shame that F1-level circuits have to worry about that to the extent that it overrules concerns from top-level professional series.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24786
    RiftAmps said:
    Absolutely.

Track Limit policing by officials just doesn't work.

Even if tarmac can be a better choice for stopping cars and keep them upright there is no reason why there can't be 1 metre of something slippery or just gravel around the edge of the track.

Would solve the problem instantly.

Ideally - something as slippery as gravel for that boundary, but without the chance of digging in and flipping the car.
    RiftAmps said:
    Absolutely.

Track Limit policing by officials just doesn't work.

Even if tarmac can be a better choice for stopping cars and keep them upright there is no reason why there can't be 1 metre of something slippery or just gravel around the edge of the track.

Would solve the problem instantly.

Ideally - something as slippery as gravel for that boundary, but without the chance of digging in and flipping the car.
    Yep, just make it the width of the widest racing cars (so approx 2m) then you're guaranteed that all 4 wheels are on it if you go off, then stop worrying about deleting laptimes entirely.