Glastonbury via armchair 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    Elton is absolutely owning this. I've never really liked his recorded stuff, but live he's smashing this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    Bit of a come down there after I'm Still Standing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1994
    Devil#20 said:
    He recently had a hip replacement.

And those talking nonsense in advance about backing singers and fake piano playing simply don’t know enough about Elton John. He’s one of the most talented musicians of all
    time. His voice is pretty remarkable for 76.
    He's doing better than I thought he would. His voice is shot but, unlike Axl, he's not trying to sing outside of his 1 octave range. Trying to hit notes you have no chance of reaching just sounds so bad. He's playing it safe. Good idea. 
    He became more of a lower baritone through middle age and has sung in this range for the last 20 plus years. He’s lost some vocal power, pushing 80. I’d say he’s smashing this. 
    I didn't know that but I'm not really keen on his music so tend not to listen to him. He does sound a bit like a pub singer nowadays though. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This QOTSA set is magnificent! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love that Fernandes double neck with the sustainer. Slide sounds great with the sustainer 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    It seems like we've managed to survive a Glastonbury without a performance from Paul McCartney...! I think he appeared during The Pretenders(?) but didn't take part.

He's been lurking side stage like some ominous spectre of music past for quite a few of the acts.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    abw1989 said:
    It seems like we've managed to survive a Glastonbury without a performance from Paul McCartney...! I think he appeared during The Pretenders(?) but didn't take part.

He's been lurking side stage like some ominous spectre of music past for quite a few of the acts.
    Was sure he was going to come on for Song for the Dead with QOTSA!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    Well my arse dent on the sofa has gotten bigger this weekend. Time to go back to whatever time wasting efforts I usually get up to. Enjoyed this years coverage a lot more than some recent ones but finding
    myself more resistant to the majority of new music as the years progress
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1388
    So in conclusion, and in chronological order of appearance, for me were:

Rick Astley
    Rick Astley and the Blossoms
    Pretenders
    Nova Twins
    Elton John 

But QOTSA might get a look in after tomorrow.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • I just watched Los Bitchos on iPlayer out of curiosity because their name is quirky, and they are quirky on stage. But I was blown away by their musicality and skill. Songs are catchy as well. Definitely following them now. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 352
    I just watched Los Bitchos on iPlayer out of curiosity because their name is quirky, and they are quirky on stage. But I was blown away by their musicality and skill. Songs are catchy as well. Definitely following them now. 
    Lot's of good stuff going under the radar as the big names steal all the headlines.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1524
    QOTSA were unreal. 
    QOTSA were unreal. 
    Troy Van Leeuwen is my favourite guitarist.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3062
    QOTSA are indeed playing a great set. Some superb guitar sounds too.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23461
    I was about two hours late watching it, but I really enjoyed the Elton John set.  I don't own any of his records (apart from, randomly, the single "Song for Guy") but every song was familiar and the whole thing was just... really good.  Even his voice was much, much better than I was expecting.

The guest singers felt a bit cabaret and weren't really needed, but of course Elton is a "showbiz" kind of guy... on the other hand he's a serious musician as demonstrated by that extended version of "Rocket Man".  And it strikes me that some of that band - Davey Johnstone, Nigel Olsson, Ray Cooper - have been working with him on-and-off for 50 years.  You don't often see that kind of loyalty with big name solo artists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    I was about two hours late watching it, but I really enjoyed the Elton John set.  I don't own any of his records (apart from, randomly, the single "Song for Guy") but every song was familiar and the whole thing was just... really good.  Even his voice was much, much better than I was expecting.

The guest singers felt a bit cabaret and weren't really needed, but of course Elton is a "showbiz" kind of guy... on the other hand he's a serious musician as demonstrated by that extended version of "Rocket Man".  And it strikes me that some of that band - Davey Johnstone, Nigel Olsson, Ray Cooper - have been working with him on-and-off for 50 years.  You don't often see that kind of loyalty with big name solo artists.
    Where it all started ...

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14607
    tFB Trader
    excellent professional performance by EJ - I can't say I'm a fan of his, not that I dislike him either - It certainly won't make me wanting to add a host of tracks to my play list - But hit after hit - entertained the crowd and him and the band put on a very professional show - No harm in under singing appropriate notes these days - It happens to many great singers - Better that than miss hitting the notes you can't reach - can't fault his set
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4678
    excellent professional performance by EJ - I can't say I'm a fan of his, not that I dislike him either - It certainly won't make me wanting to add a host of tracks to my play list - But hit after hit - entertained the crowd and him and the band put on a very professional show - No harm in under singing appropriate notes these days - It happens to many great singers - Better that than miss hitting the notes you can't reach - can't fault his set
    thats kinda how i felt going to see him in Manchester, never been a huge fan, it was a gig the Mrs wanted to go to, came away as a bit of a fan, great show
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1968
    I enjoyed the Elton John set, like others have said above, I don't own any of his records / have never (until this morning) sought any out on Spotify and yet his back catalogue has been the sound track to my life. 
    I'd set my expectations low but vocally he was better than expected.
    One odd thing, I might have missed it but considering that this might have been his last UK show - there was no reference to Bernie Taupins contribution? Whilst Thom Bell got a reference for what was a one off collaboration in late 70's. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16309
    I just watched Los Bitchos on iPlayer out of curiosity because their name is quirky, and they are quirky on stage. But I was blown away by their musicality and skill. Songs are catchy as well. Definitely following them now. 
    Interesting. I was hearing bits of indie, bits of Afro pop but apparently heavily influenced by 1970s Colombian music. Different and likeable. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.