Glastonbury via armchair 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3327
    Yusuf/Cat is the man. Mid seventies and excellent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1003
    west said:
    I just loved jacob colliers set .....  and louis coles too , minus some of his rappy vox

the only things that i have  seen this far with any element of originality with the excepted standing on the shoulders of giants deal  ( the Dan/steve wonder ,todd rundgren, zappa etc ... )  ....

last year i think it was snarky puppy ....

but alas i guess they have honed their technique a little too much .... ;)  
    Jacob Collier was phenomenal as usual but I felt his set would've been more suited to a Saturday night at the jazz cafe, not a sunny afternoon at a massive outdoor festival. Other than about 3 upbeat tunes it was mainly a slow tempo chilled out affair. 

ooh i dont know , i dont think he did too bad ;) ....
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14758
    tFB Trader
    Thought Blondie was excellent - The 2 guitar players made the band - Kind of the way that Steve Stevens enriched Billy Idol's band, those 2 guys enriched Blondie where required - tasteful licks and colour in the right places - Made for a more polished performance - Poor mix again and I'm not so sure Debbie still has it - But can't blame her for that

Thoroughly enjoyed what I've seen of Rick Astley - Who would have ever said that back in 1987

Liked Lizzo but to be honest I did not know who she was - Not my scene - But good

You'll have to help me here - The multi instrumentalist, in the colour/loud outfit , - was excellent - Did a kind of cover of Queen and Find me somebody to love - Would not really listen to him on a play list but live thought he put on a good show - So what was his name

And again help me here - the black artist in the kilt - Some great grooves and a great band
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3160
    Enjoying Cat Stevens as background music. Super clear vocals. 

As my mum used to say 'You can hear every word he sings'. 
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Editors fantastic! Love their first couple of albums - got a bit proggy for me later. But live they are always awesome. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4692
    edited June 2023
    Just rewatched Leftfield from last night 

tremendous Phat Planet was banging 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16375
    Shrews said:
    Enjoying Cat Stevens as background music. Super clear vocals. 

As my mum used to say 'You can hear every word he sings'. 
    Nice to see Laurence Llewellyn Bowen on guitar. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5200
    I thought Russell Brand had made an appearance too…. =)
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2590
    edited June 2023
    If only I knew now back when...

I used to work next door to Rick Astley in the late 90s. His studio was in the same small courtyard premises as my office in Parsons Green.

I didn't even know it was him! one day a work mate said, "there goes Rick Astley" - as he walked by our window - and I said, "yeah does look like him." What a muppet! 

He was a nice polite chap but never got to have a real chat with him. Wasn't the dude he is today of course
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Slowdive sounding glorious. Masters of shoegaze and fx pedals! 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
    Chuffola said:
    I think Rick Astley is my new hero. Not a sentence I ever thought I'd type. 
    Me and you both. I think I'd sooner he did an encore tonight. I'd sooner listen to him and the excellent Blossoms for 2 hours tonight than Elton John. You know the script. His voice will be low in the mix and he'll have backing singers holding the tune. Plus guests to keep it interesting. Dave Grohl will hopefully turn up at some point. The FF's set wasn't good but I like the enthusiasm DG brings to proceedings. He genuinely loves what he does and he's a great musician and genuine top bloke. Glasto is always better when Dave's around. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    War on Drugs sound on the Other Stage is fantastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    mattdavis said:
    Shrews said:
    mattdavis said:
    Offset said:
    mattdavis said:
    Catching up the Manics. JDB absolutely on fire. But crushed by my daughter’s summation - ‘they’re just old people trying to be cool’. Grounded forever. 
    Did you point out that they didn't need to try?
    Deaf ears. Actually really depressed that I can’t persuade them to sit and watch musical genius. Still could be worse - she could like the 1975. 
    Well, my daughter is 23 today. She was born on a Sunday and of course two number ones on her birthday. Kylie - Spinning Around and Black Legend - the Trouble With Me

Both shit, but obviously Kylie gets away with it for those gold hotpants

I would like to say that music got better during her generation, but unfortunately it just got shitter. 
    Do you think this is just the usual generational thing of everyone thinking it was better in ‘their day’?
    I can’t see which songwriters will be coming back to headline glasto in 30 years. Is Lewis capaldi going to last? Harry Styles? Lizzo? Stormzy? 1985? All massive now but their songs just don’t seem like they will be sung for decades to become. 

Maybe Taylor Swift. Sam Fender seems to be the last current hope for popular guitar music. 

Taylor Swift will go down as one of the all time greats.

Love him or hate him Ed Sheeran is the new Elton John.

Lizzo is in it for the long term as well I think and Harry Styles might well be also but it's a bit early to say.

I think it's a golden era of pop ATM
    Let’s forget popularity as the measure for the moment:

I’m on board with Taylor Swift as one of the greats.

Ed Sheeran, he knows how to right a popular song no doubt but it’s his song writing approach is pretty calculated, his songs sound like they’ve been written using AI. Not sure many of songs are absolute classics in the making. 

Harry Styles is massively overrated - As It Was has had 2.5 billion streams on Spotify, yet it’s a very average song. 

Don’t know about Lizzo will have to check out. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    The War on Drugs now have had the Slowdive effect on Mrs Tone too!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader

You'll have to help me here - The multi instrumentalist, in the colour/loud outfit , - was excellent - Did a kind of cover of Queen and Find me somebody to love - Would not really listen to him on a play list but live thought he put on a good show - So what was his name

And again help me here - the black artist in the kilt - Some great grooves and a great band

Jacob Collier was the guy in the loud shirt.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    I'm slowly catrching up as I've had a massivley busy weekend, filled with Real Life(TM).

GNR were a real disappointment. Axl's vocals will never match what they were thirty years ago and the rest of the band, Slash excepted, didn't really look very interested. Slash will always be the winner amongst that lot.

Arctic Monkeys...patchy but marvelous in places. I'm not sure Alex Turner is a natural frontman for an audince like Glastonbury.

Raick Astley, both solo and with Blossoms...he won Glastonbury this year. He looked like he was having the time of his life. His solo band were absolutely top notch. I'd go and see him again.

Need to watch...Manics, Lizzo, The Pretenders, Foos, Maneskin, Royal Blood, Generation X, and Chvches.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17878
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:

Taylor Swift will go down as one of the all time greats.

Love him or hate him Ed Sheeran is the new Elton John.

Lizzo is in it for the long term as well I think and Harry Styles might well be also but it's a bit early to say.

I think it's a golden era of pop ATM
    Let’s forget popularity as the measure for the moment:

I’m on board with Taylor Swift as one of the greats.

Ed Sheeran, he knows how to right a popular song no doubt but it’s his song writing approach is pretty calculated, his songs sound like they’ve been written using AI. Not sure many of songs are absolute classics in the making. 

Harry Styles is massively overrated - As It Was has had 2.5 billion streams on Spotify, yet it’s a very average song. 

Don’t know about Lizzo will have to check out. 

If you forget popularity it's just "I don't like Ed Sheeran so he's rubbish"

Thinking out loud and several others are already classics by any reasonable measure and amongst the most popular songs of all time. 

I'd turn over the radio if My Heart Will Go On, Everything I do I do it for you came on, but that doesn't make them any less significant because I personally don't like them and find them derivative. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1401
    Billy Nomates is apparently asking bbc to take down her performance after personal abuse on line (according to the independent) citing misogyny and sexism. Shame if it’s true. Seen some fucking fantastic female acts. The latest of which is Cat Burns
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24657
    edited June 2023
    I'm dreading Elton's performance...  I predict it will be him crucifying his discography, and straining terribly to reach the high notes.

I admire his energy and determination to keep performing but there comes a time in most vocalists lives where the pipes are just too worn out.  I truly hope he nails it, but I'm not confident he will.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1958
    Just watching the Pretenders on catchup. Totally wonderful, Chrissies voice sounds great and everyone looks to be just  absolutely loving playing. Johnny Marr and Dave Ghrol both brilliant. Some really nice guitar tones too. Def. the highlight for me so far.