Glastonbury via armchair 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    Taylor Swift will go down as one of the all time greats.
    Love him or hate him Ed Sheeran is the new Elton John.
    Lizzo is in it for the long term as well I think and Harry Styles might well be also but it's a bit early to say.
    I think it's a golden era of pop ATM
    I tend to agree.  Taylor is brilliant.  I really don't like Sheeran's music but I most definitely admire him.  Based on Lizzo's wonderful set yesterday I can't see her star waning any time soon.  I really like Harry but not sure about his long-term popularity.

But be honest - whoever thought we'd all be raving about Rick Astley in 2023?!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Christine and the Queens has to be the set of the festival. Captivating 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 285
    Award for the most negative review goes to….
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/guns-n-roses-review-glastonbury-festival-b2363553.html

Although he’s got a point in places about this performance, he shouldn’t really be writing a review of a band he clearly hates.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Award for the most negative review goes to….
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/guns-n-roses-review-glastonbury-festival-b2363553.html

Although he’s got a point in places about this performance, he shouldn’t really be writing a review of a band he clearly hates.
    No G&R fan but that is a really shit review. A man with an Axl to grind, obviously.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    mattdavis said:
    Shrews said:
    mattdavis said:
    Offset said:
    mattdavis said:
    Catching up the Manics. JDB absolutely on fire. But crushed by my daughter’s summation - ‘they’re just old people trying to be cool’. Grounded forever. 
    Did you point out that they didn't need to try?
    Deaf ears. Actually really depressed that I can’t persuade them to sit and watch musical genius. Still could be worse - she could like the 1975. 
    Well, my daughter is 23 today. She was born on a Sunday and of course two number ones on her birthday. Kylie - Spinning Around and Black Legend - the Trouble With Me

Both shit, but obviously Kylie gets away with it for those gold hotpants

I would like to say that music got better during her generation, but unfortunately it just got shitter. 
    Do you think this is just the usual generational thing of everyone thinking it was better in ‘their day’?
    I can’t see which songwriters will be coming back to headline glasto in 30 years. Is Lewis capaldi going to last? Harry Styles? Lizzo? Stormzy? 1985? All massive now but their songs just don’t seem like they will be sung for decades to become. 

Maybe Taylor Swift. Sam Fender seems to be the last current hope for popular guitar music. 

Lizzo is in it for the long term as well I think and Harry Styles might well be also but it's a bit early to say.

Forgot about Sheeran. Agree with him. And I’m a self confessed Swiftie. 
    But Lizzo and Styles headlining in 30 years? I really can’t see it unless it’s one of those ironic-nostalgia- act slots. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Award for the most negative review goes to….

GnR are such a big and established band that negative reviews probably don't affect them and their fans anymore because they'll still buy tickets and pack venues. They also aren't trying to draw in new crowds either. Pointless review. Like trying to stick a needle into a brick wall.

Have to wonder what Beaumont was hoping to achieve by even writing a review other than to waste his own time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5601
    The Hu on West Holts now. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3174
    There's something about Atomic that makes the hairs stand up on my neck.

A 77 year old woman on stage. Simply incredible. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 1003
    I just loved jacob colliers set .....  and louis coles too , minus some of his rappy vox

the only things that i have  seen this far with any element of originality with the excepted standing on the shoulders of giants deal  ( the Dan/steve wonder ,todd rundgren, zappa etc ... )  ....

last year i think it was snarky puppy ....

but alas i guess they have honed their technique a little too much .... ;)  
    Shrews said:
    There's something about Atomic that makes the hairs stand up on my neck.

A 77 year old woman on stage. Simply incredible. 
    She always had a great voice - how she still has it is beyond me.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17890
    tFB Trader
    mattdavis said:
    mattdavis said:
    Shrews said:
    mattdavis said:
    Offset said:
    mattdavis said:
    Catching up the Manics. JDB absolutely on fire. But crushed by my daughter’s summation - ‘they’re just old people trying to be cool’. Grounded forever. 
    Did you point out that they didn't need to try?
    Deaf ears. Actually really depressed that I can’t persuade them to sit and watch musical genius. Still could be worse - she could like the 1975. 
    Well, my daughter is 23 today. She was born on a Sunday and of course two number ones on her birthday. Kylie - Spinning Around and Black Legend - the Trouble With Me

Both shit, but obviously Kylie gets away with it for those gold hotpants

I would like to say that music got better during her generation, but unfortunately it just got shitter. 
    Do you think this is just the usual generational thing of everyone thinking it was better in ‘their day’?
    I can’t see which songwriters will be coming back to headline glasto in 30 years. Is Lewis capaldi going to last? Harry Styles? Lizzo? Stormzy? 1985? All massive now but their songs just don’t seem like they will be sung for decades to become. 

Maybe Taylor Swift. Sam Fender seems to be the last current hope for popular guitar music. 

Forgot about Sheeran. Agree with him. And I’m a self confessed Swiftie. 
    But Lizzo and Styles headlining in 30 years? I really can’t see it unless it’s one of those ironic-nostalgia- act slots. 

I don't see Lizzo headlining the pyramid but I could easily imagine her doing some of the other stages and sticking around for a few years in the way Kelis was doing this year.

Harry Styles I genuinely have no idea but his current album is genuinely excellent
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403
    Catching up after rehearsal…. Fan fret acoustic alert! Dermot Kennedy 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    Slowdive have made Mrs Tone leave the room/house/street but I think they're great
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73054
    darius said:
    So Lana was really late, but there was seemingly no way of cutting some of the set to make sure the big hits get played?
    I think it's more that she probably just assumed if she carried on they wouldn't turn the power off.
    This - she thinks she's bigger than the festival. I like her music, but this isn't the first time she's behaved as if the world revolves around her when it clearly doesn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jun/25/lana-del-rey-apologises-for-glastonbury-late-show-my-hair-takes-so-long

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1249
    It's used to be Axl Rose not Turing up in time. How the world of music has changed!
    With LDR's hairstyle, I was expecting a Mari Wilson beehive considering she was 40 minutes late. It was so disappointing when she appeared with her hair looking, err, like it always does.

She looked like she had put on some weight too, so I think it's more likely she was stuffing her face with pork pies and pizza.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dreaming, a song that sounds good no matter how it's played. 

And strewth Clem Burke on drums, aged 68. 

Awesome stuff. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73054
    Shrews said:

And strewth Clem Burke on drums, aged 68.
    When I went to see them recently no-one seemed to believe it was because I wanted to see Clem not Debbie :).

Always one of my favourite drummers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• west said:
    I just loved jacob colliers set .....  and louis coles too , minus some of his rappy vox

the only things that i have  seen this far with any element of originality with the excepted standing on the shoulders of giants deal  ( the Dan/steve wonder ,todd rundgren, zappa etc ... )  ....

last year i think it was snarky puppy ....

but alas i guess they have honed their technique a little too much .... ;)  
    Jacob Collier was phenomenal as usual but I felt his set would've been more suited to a Saturday night at the jazz cafe, not a sunny afternoon at a massive outdoor festival. Other than about 3 upbeat tunes it was mainly a slow tempo chilled out affair. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    Loving Cat Stevens  <3