Glastonbury via armchair 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 285
    Watching the pretenders replay. Vocals sit perfectly in the mix. And I note the Fender Tonemaster amps in the back line too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 159
    edited June 2023
    I'm sure the BBC will ram down our throats the crowd singing Video Games as 'a great Glastonbury moment', but live it was an absolute shit show.

After G'n'R I did some iPlayer hopping to catch another set. She seemed a bit arsey with her piano player at one point and there must have been someone in her earpiece telling her to wrap it up. I thought, "does she know everyone can hear what she's saying?" When they cut the power she looked liked a spoilt child whose party had ended. She obv thought she was the exception to the rule. To hear later she was 40 mins late because getting her hair done takes so long.. the arrogance
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 83
    Nerine said:
    Must just be me that thinks Slash’s playing has been a bit rough this evening. I’ve heard him a lot better - recently too. 
    Also, agree with a comment earlier. His sound is a lot less gainy in places. 
    The sound is weird as fuck. Lots of the mics seem to be very in and out. The snare randomly disappears at some points too. 

Axls voice. He still has that real aggressive scream in him but I think he does sing a bit with preservation in mind. He can clearly push it to be more raspy at will, and his range is still pretty ridiculous, but Guns are pretty relentless with the touring at the min so unsurprising he’s a bit careful with it. 

And then he just absolutely slayed Knocking On Heavens Door. That was mega. 

Listen to him on the recently recorded “Hard Skool” if you’re in any doubt about his vocals. He’s still got it. 

But yeah. The sound is wonky. Which is a shame cos it’s a good show. 

Also. 

Rocket Queen. Definitely one of my all time favourite songs. Nightrain gives me the feels as well.
    Some of Guns’ performances of it in the early 90’s were spine tingling for me. 
    Actually Axl’s 90’s period when he had the beard and looked fucking amazing, yeah… He was untouchable in that period. Jaw dropping. 

Anyway, I always cite them as my favourite band so I’ll always enjoy watching them. 

Watching now and I’ve been blown away by Slash’s ability to rip it up like this in what I expect aren’t great monitoring conditions. I didn’t expect to be as impressed by this whole show as I am. They were the first real rock band I got into along with Pearl Jam. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    Well I just re-watched Rick Astley and Blossoms do The Smiths.  I really haven't enjoyed a live set so much in a very long time - Astley had the audience eating out of his hand, he nailed the vocal, everyone sang along for virtually the entire set (including me) and Blossoms were peerless.  I loved every bloody second.

If you add to that The Pretenders, The Manics, Third World, Lizzo, Shame... my favourite Glasto, period.  And I still have loads to catch up with.  Christ, I even enjoyed G&R FFS.

Fantastic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12376
    Offset said:
    Well I just re-watched Rick Astley and Blossoms do The Smiths. 

I just watched that - bluddy brilliant!!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4067
    Blossoms really are a good live band, and they do a great job of The Smiths songs. Looks like Rick Astley has smashed it this year, also just seen a clip of him singing and drumming Highway to Hell!
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3179
    Re: Rick Astley and The Blossoms - missed two intros, needed a beer, had some sound issues.

Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. And when it's that good people really don't care about any issues, the enjoyment factor overrides everything.

He remembered a entire set of Smiths songs, did it all his way and I've no idea how long they practised together but he was like a well loved, established charismatic front man heading up his band in style.

And what about those Smiths songs?  Bloody wonderful. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5601
    Imagine how good a guitarist Slash would be if he actually put in a bit of effort.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    I think Rick Astley is my new hero. Not a sentence I ever thought I'd type. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    Shrews said:
    Re: Rick Astley and The Blossoms - missed two intros, needed a beer, had some sound issues.

Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. And when it's that good people really don't care about any issues, the enjoyment factor overrides everything.

He remembered a entire set of Smiths songs, did it all his way and I've no idea how long they practised together but he was like a well loved, established charismatic front man heading up his band in style.

And what about those Smiths songs?  Bloody wonderful. 

All of this! ^^

Mr Astley collects guitars as well :-) ...is there no end to the man's likeable-ness?!
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1985
    Chuffola said:
    I think Rick Astley is my new hero. Not a sentence I ever thought I'd type. 
    Just watching it now. Very enjoyable "I thought I was having a beer but Tom's just cracked open the Jaegermeister" 
    Props to Blossons as well, an awful lot of work went into that set!
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    Really, really superb. Atmosphere in that tent must have been incredible. Blossoms were brilliant and Astley is a brilliant front man - his voice suits the songs so well. And what songs they are. Fantastic. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Thanks to this thread I found "hard skool"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403
    ^ I haven’t heard a sing along like that since the Killers did a secret set a year or 2 back
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Just to mention that there’s lots of comments online saying Axl had gone off too early and by the time they got to November rain that he’d burnt himself out so he let the song down. 

This isn’t the case at all. He just can’t do that number very well any more. He played one song ‘November rain’ at lisa marie presleys funeral and it was exactly the same vocal wise as last nights version after an entire set list before hand. He just can’t do that number any more. 
    I’ll defend gnr forever but I don’t think they’ve ever done November rain well live. Slash’s loose live approach doesn’t suit the very simple melodic solo that the song needs. The recorded version is very heavily produced because it has so much going on. Live it has always been a mess. I reckon he should strip it back, play it just in piano and drop the key down a couple to steps. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 357
    Black Country, New Road on at 2PM @ West Holts Stage. Best to avoid if you don't like Jockstrap, as their singer is in this band too!

Also, the original singer left 2 days before their highly praised album was released, so I'm not sure how good the new vocalists are compared to old one who was pretty good.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5601
    edited June 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    The girl with the Elastoplast nipples was good.  Great vocals.
    Glennda Danzig??
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6596
    Just watching The Pretenders.

Where’s Martin Chambers?!

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 357
    Nova Twins going hard right now!
  • I hope BBC show Thundercat's set tonight