Glastonbury via armchair 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• willowillo Frets: 391
    mattdavis said:
    My god they have some tunes. Can’t believe people will still singing this many Arctic Monkeys tunes in 30 years. I bloody love this band. I do miss the aggression of their playing in their heyday but the songs still stand up. 
    To be fair to the Arctic Monkeys, the songs that went down best yesterday are almost 20 years old. It's one way to make you feel old...

Fucking love GNR though. Had lost interest in their recent activities but this has got me back into it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1404
    Dave Grohl now with GNR 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24704
    It's very sad for vocalists when you think about it....  Everyone else in the band has an instrument that doesn't change with age.  The singer has an instrument that not only ages but you can't buy another - no matter how much money you have.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    On the other hand, they've probably had more sex than the rest of the band combined.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 285
    I do wonder what would have happened (musical output wise) if they’d managed to stick together through the 90s and 00s. I saw GnR with Axl and the hired guns around 2006 and he still had the voice. All things considered a very good set.
    Emp_Fab said:
    On the other hand, they've probably had more sex than the rest of the band combined.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    I do wonder what would have happened (musical output wise) if they’d managed to stick together through the 90s and 00s. I saw GnR with Axl and the hired guns around 2006 and he still had the voice. All things considered a very good set.
    They still would have imploded. But they should have got back together long before 2015 or whenever it was. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    edited June 2023
    Just watching it back on bbc1 and the mix is much more coherent and balanced. 
    I'm ashamed to admit it but as I wasn't really a GnR fan, I never really got to hear Slash's playing much.

Fuck.  Me.

Have I have missed out or what?

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    Fatboy Slim isn’t actually doing anything, is he?
  • willowillo Frets: 391
    He's incredible. I just think he's a very tasteful player, in many ways the opposite of what his name would suggest. Never chooses a bad note. 
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    I think about that a lot too. But from what I remember it was a case of Axl wanting to do the prog-esque Estranged type songs vs Slash wanting to play more rock that caused the breakdown in the band. So in all likelihood their stuff probably would have been a bit pants soon after the breakup. 
    I love the first Velvet revolver album - that’s what I wanted Guns to sound like then. 
    I hope to god Hard Skool and Absurd are anomalies as they are rubbish. Am a bit concerned that after so long back together they’ve not produced anything new really. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 359
    Where were all the amps tho?
    Didn't you know they were miming?
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7349
    willo said:
    He's incredible. I just think he's a very tasteful player, in many ways the opposite of what his name would suggest. Never chooses a bad note. 
    His timing is fantastic as well especially with those lyrical solos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'm quite literally blown away.  His timing, accuracy, tastefulness, little improvised fills...  incredible.  My pitch OCD is getting triggered by his almost-there-but-a-few-cents-flat big bends up, but that's just me.  It's pentatonic-central yes, but the best live performance of it that I've ever seen.

edited June 2023
    mattdavis said:
    I think about that a lot too. But from what I remember it was a case of Axl wanting to do the prog-esque Estranged type songs vs Slash wanting to play more rock that caused the breakdown in the band. So in all likelihood their stuff probably would have been a bit pants soon after the breakup. 
    I love the first Velvet revolver album - that’s what I wanted Guns to sound like then. 
    I hope to god Hard Skool and Absurd are anomalies as they are rubbish. Am a bit concerned that after so long back together they’ve not produced anything new really. 
    I think those proggy or operatic sorts of songs, being born of Axls melodic sensibility (he’s a big Elton John fan) are what make GnR as a whole. I started getting a bit bored of Slashs solo gigs by the time I’d seen him with the conspirators a few times. Axl…and Izzy to be fair… we’re the foil that allowed him to do his best work, in my opinion. Variation in set list.

The 2 “new” songs from 2021 and the ? Sex pistols cover should have been left out. They have better album cuts from their heyday if they needed to hit a stage time.
    Holy Mary Mother of God.  He is off the scale!  Real aural epiphany for me tonight.

Genuinely!

• OctavioOctavio Frets: 159
    Am I the only one who finds it amusing that Axl Rose can turn up on time but Lana Del Rey can't? They cut her set off before she got to play her big hit. Hilarious. Eh, curfew luv...
    Emp_Fab said:
    My pitch OCD is getting triggered by his almost-there-but-a-few-cents-flat big bends up, but that's just me.  It's pentatonic-central yes, but the best live performance of it that I've ever seen.
    Yes… it can be a bit fly by the seat of his pants/ on the edge of falling apart at times. Like Jimmy Page too I guess. But exhilarating for it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fair do's to Rose, he seems to have got better as the gig goes on.