Glastonbury via armchair 2023

What's Hot

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403
    Just watched the Manics set from yesterday and they were sounding mighty fine. Lizzo likewise
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Just watching The Pretenders.

Where’s Martin Chambers?!
    I was trying to Google this and he was part of the announced line up a few days ago. So, unwell I guess. 

I never knew or had forgotten that Johnny Marr had been in The Pretenders for six months in the 1980s and is on a couple of songs in their catalogue. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    Vintage65 said:
    Nova Twins going hard right now!
    They're fab!!!
    Offset said:
    Vintage65 said:
    Nova Twins going hard right now!
    They're fab!!!
    Is that a Westone Thunder bass I see before me?!
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    edited June 2023
    Catching up the Manics. JDB absolutely on fire. But crushed by my daughter’s summation - ‘they’re just old people trying to be cool’. Grounded forever. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mattdavis said:
    Catching up the Manics. JDB absolutely on fire. But crushed by my daughter’s summation - ‘they’re just old people trying to be cool’. Grounded forever. 
    Did you point out that they didn't need to try?
    Offset said:
    mattdavis said:
    Deaf ears. Actually really depressed that I can’t persuade them to sit and watch musical genius. Still could be worse - she could like the 1975. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1403
    edited June 2023
    Pedalboards of the weekend award goes to Nova Twins and really enjoying this
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1068
    Is there a group that Dave Grohl hasn't joined in with?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Chuffola said:
    Really, really superb. Atmosphere in that tent must have been incredible. Blossoms were brilliant and Astley is a brilliant front man - his voice suits the songs so well. And what songs they are. Fantastic. 
    Rick was interviewed by the Beeb earlier and he said with a wry smile he was happy with the fact he'd never be considered cool.

Errrm... I beg to differ Mr Astley.  You were sub-zero this weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3174
    mattdavis said:
    Offset said:
    mattdavis said:
    Deaf ears. Actually really depressed that I can’t persuade them to sit and watch musical genius. Still could be worse - she could like the 1975. 
    Well, my daughter is 23 today. She was born on a Sunday and of course two number ones on her birthday. Kylie - Spinning Around and Black Legend - the Trouble With Me

Both shit, but obviously Kylie gets away with it for those gold hotpants

I would like to say that music got better during her generation, but unfortunately it just got shitter. 
  • Nova Twins crushed it like a ten ton sledgehammer. 
    Shrews said:
    mattdavis said:
    Offset said:
    mattdavis said:
    Well, my daughter is 23 today. She was born on a Sunday and of course two number ones on her birthday. Kylie - Spinning Around and Black Legend - the Trouble With Me

I would like to say that music got better during her generation, but unfortunately it just got shitter. 
    Do you think this is just the usual generational thing of everyone thinking it was better in ‘their day’?
    I can’t see which songwriters will be coming back to headline glasto in 30 years. Is Lewis capaldi going to last? Harry Styles? Lizzo? Stormzy? 1985? All massive now but their songs just don’t seem like they will be sung for decades to become. 

Maybe Taylor Swift. Sam Fender seems to be the last current hope for popular guitar music. 

• RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 285
    I’m not sure there’s much hope for “popular” guitar music unless you live in Nashville. Seems to be a lot of mainstream guitar heroes in country music.

• Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    Have put on Rick Astley & Blossoms for a listen and it’s bloody great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    .Listening to The Teskey Brothers at the moment.  Fantastic.  What a great Glasto this has been.  And Elton Bog tonight!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    I'm having a look at the Billy Nomates set on iPlayer. Apparently it's been a bit controversial. I don't know why. She's got a nice voice. I guess a bit disappointing that she's bopping around to backing tracks. 
    I'll try something else now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    Looking forward to War on Drugs and QOTSA today. And a bit of Elton. Hope to get some Honky Cat and Saturday Night.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17890
    tFB Trader
    mattdavis said:
    Shrews said:
    mattdavis said:
    Offset said:
    mattdavis said:

Do you think this is just the usual generational thing of everyone thinking it was better in ‘their day’?
    I can’t see which songwriters will be coming back to headline glasto in 30 years. Is Lewis capaldi going to last? Harry Styles? Lizzo? Stormzy? 1985? All massive now but their songs just don’t seem like they will be sung for decades to become. 

Maybe Taylor Swift. Sam Fender seems to be the last current hope for popular guitar music. 

Taylor Swift will go down as one of the all time greats.

Love him or hate him Ed Sheeran is the new Elton John.

Lizzo is in it for the long term as well I think and Harry Styles might well be also but it's a bit early to say.

I think it's a golden era of pop ATM
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Catching up on iPlayer.. Chrissie Hynde is just awesome.. Rick Astley did a great job.

Toyah and Fripp on soon I think, let's see what the loons get up to.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom