Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Only offensive if you don't believe in disciplining your children

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrew said:
    I don't like the tone of the sign, or the insinuation in the thread title that the only way to discipline your children is physically.
    1. Wimp

2. Nobody insinuated or implied that children should be disciplined by using corporal punishment.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    holnrew said:
    I don't like the tone of the sign, or the insinuation in the thread title that the only way to discipline your children is physically.
    Is it really saying that ... I think you may have had a case had it said staff would happily spank your child, but I'm sure most people would find the comment harmless fun.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    problem with trying to nail children to pub tables is that modern nails are too soft IME. They're designed for soft woods and pub tables (especially older ones) are often made of harder woods and modern nails just bend. You need some good, old fashioned, blacksmith made nails, and they're not cheap. I don't have kids and I resent subsidising breeders by having to pay a surcharge on my meal just so's the pub can afford proper nails.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• holnrew said:
    I don't like..[snip].. the insinuation in the thread title that the only way to discipline your children is physically.

I'm not sure the thread title is insinuating that, but I am sure that the chalkboard sign is actually impying the exact opposite, i.e. that there are ways to keep your child in order without the staff needing to nail them down.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Fretwired said:
    holnrew said:
    Is it really saying that ... I think you may have had a case had it said staff would happily spank your child, but I'm sure most people would find the comment harmless fun.
    I wasn't saying the pub sign said that.
    My V key is broken
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    holnrew said:
    1. Wimp

2. Nobody insinuated or implied that children should be disciplined by using corporal punishment.
    1. Probably

2. Sorry for the assumption
    My V key is broken
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 780
    edited October 2014
    We got caned at school, it didn't do us any harm, it just started a few people's obsession with S&M and bondage.
    ;)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    holnrew said:
    Fretwired said:
    holnrew said:
    I wasn't saying the pub sign said that.
    But I was linking the two on the assumption that those who discipline their kids might spank them etc .. no point worrying about it. Anyway the pub's had some excellent publicity which is probably what it was all about.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited October 2014

GuyBoden said:

GuyBoden said:

GuyBoden said:
    7 billion and counting, do we need anymore?
    Not really. Unless by "need" you mean "require for the continued survival of the human race".
    Restricted population growth will be necessary eventually.

"We don't need any more children" is a little on the extreme side of restricted population growth.

Anyway, population growth fuddists are mostly working from oversimplified models and not real data. The rate of growth is shrinking. There will probably never be more than 10 billion humans on earth. You can stop worrying yourself now. 

“The world population has risen from two to seven billion in the last 85 years.” United States Census Bureau

"The mid-range global projection is that the planet’s population will increase from seven billion to nine billion by 2050. Broader estimates range from eight to 11 billion" United Nations

If you want to be informed:
    http://populationmatters.org/

You stats say exactly what I was saying - you are just looking at them simplistically - "This number is bigger so it is getting worse". It took longer to get from 6bn to 7bn than it took for 5bn to 6bn. The growth is slowing. If it takes another 35 years to get to 9bn as your quote suggest then it will have continued to slow. If it's the 8bn at the bottom end of the estimate then we're very close to maxing out.

As nations develop their growth slows. Look at S Korea and Japan - they are shrinking. China and India will probably have reached that level within a generation or two. Europe's growth is as much to do with immigration as anything. It's only Africa that is still showing rapid growth but there is no reason to think that they won't develop in the same way.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whether one should use corporal punishment in discipline is a whole other subject. My view is that IF it is used, it should be used in such a way as to never cause physical damage (which rules out hitting the hand or the head for example, or the use of hard heavy or sharp implements). The upshot of that is that a slap with the flat of the hand against a buttock is unpleasant and somewhat humiliating but unlikely to cause any long or medium term damage. My parents used that method when they had to and us kids weren't damaged or hurt by it. We learned the severity of their displeasure though. However my sister brought up her kids without smacking them, and they've turned out to be good people ....
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Whether one should use corporal punishment in discipline is a whole other subject. My view is that IF it is used, it should be used in such a way as to never cause physical damage (which rules out hitting the hand or the head for example, or the use of hard heavy or sharp implements). The upshot of that is that a slap with the flat of the hand against a buttock is unpleasant and somewhat humiliating but unlikely to cause any long or medium term damage. My parents used that method when they had to and us kids weren't damaged or hurt by it. We learned the severity of their displeasure though. However my sister brought up her kids without smacking them, and they've turned out to be good people ....
    Yeah I agree. Bruise 'em where others can't see!
  • Flat of the hand against a buttock is unlikely to bruise
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited October 2014
    Okay - so is it okay for someone to hit you to lightly rebuke you, then?

I know loads of ways of hitting someone so it doesn't cause lasting physical damage. I mean if we're saying that it's okay to hit kids, it must be okay to hit adults - their skulls are fully formed for starters..

I'll be honest, I do get bored of using words on some people and the whole thing could be settled a damn sight faster with my foot rebuking their face.. skip the whole "yeah but..." and that "he's using words again" thing.

SO summary: would it be okay for people to hit you, today, in a non-lasting fashion for the purpose of humiliation and control? (not necessarily in a BDSM way)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    frankus said:
    Okay - so is it okay for someone to hit you to lightly rebuke you, then?

I know loads of ways of hitting someone so it doesn't cause lasting physical damage. I mean if we're saying that it's okay to hit kids, it must be okay to hit adults - their skulls are fully formed for starters..

I'll be honest, I do get bored of using words on some people and the whole thing could be settled a damn sight faster with my foot rebuking their face.. skip the whole "yeah but..." and that "he's using words again" thing.

SO summary: would it be okay for people to hit you, today, in a non-lasting fashion for the purpose of humiliation and control? (not necessarily in a BDSM way)
    Nah but y'see... he's learnt all his lessons now. So you don't need to hit him. Well... until he turns 70, forgets his own name and where the toilet is, and he starts pissing on the rug... might need a bit of re-training at that point.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 780
    edited October 2014
    Drew_fx said:Well... until he turns 70, forgets his own name and where the toilet is, and he starts pissing on the rug... might need a bit of re-training at that point.
    When I'm in an old people's home, I'll be pissing on the rug, it'll be more fun than playing Bingo.
    ;) :P
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • GuyBoden said:
    Drew_fx said:Well... until he turns 70, forgets his own name and where the toilet is, and he starts pissing on the rug... might need a bit of re-training at that point.
    When I'm in an old people's home, I'll be pissing on the rug, it'll be more fun than playing Bingo.
    ;)
    Don't know about you but by the time I'm in an old people's home I don't think they'll have the luxury of rugs to piss on. It'll have to be the floorboards. Actually I hope I snuff it before I'm old & decrepit enough to need an old people's home.
    YoofunAsia innit bruv.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    so that's a "yes it's okay to hit adults" then?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • frankus said:
    only if you're in an old people home and nobody is watching you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    frankus said:
    Only in the context of a consensual and loving relationship.