Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Only offensive if you don't believe in disciplining your children

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_fx said:
    frankus said:
    so that's a "yes it's okay to hit adults" then?
    Only in the context of a consensual and loving relationship.
    Or in the context of having paid "tribute" for agreed services, and the code-word has not been used
    ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Juliet Bravo! Juliet Bravo! Juliet Bravo!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    See, if hitting adults was to be the same as hitting kids, we'd need the hitter to be twice as tall - just so you get the right sense of concern - to help the learning process of course.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Drew_fx said:
    Your code word, Drew?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Drew_fx said:
    Your code word, Drew?
    League of Gentlemen reference, Pip.;)

As for corporal punishment, I cannot think of a situation in which it is not utterly wrong.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    Your code word, Drew?
    League of Gentlemen reference, Pip.;)

As for corporal punishment, I cannot think of a situation in which it is not utterly wrong.

Didn't recognise it. Must look it up ...
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/11/08/1226512/722496-dad-039-s-army.jpg

They don't like it up 'em...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    GuyBoden said:

GuyBoden said:
    7 billion and counting, do we need anymore?
    Not really. Unless by "need" you mean "require for the continued survival of the human race".
    Restricted population growth will be necessary eventually.
    Nahhh! The ebola will get 'em first.

Back on topic - the pub in question doesn't apparently serve food... doesn't have a children's play area... so IF people took kids in, it would be to watch an adult drink alcohol... isn't that more child abuse-y than a joke?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    I smack adults by holding my child by the ankles and just taking a swing.
    Use Your Brian
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited October 2014

Jesus always had issues trying to put the last nail in.

Sorry, that should have read...Jesus, I've always had issues trying to put the last nail in.

• I don't think its offensive, but if I saw that outside a pub I'd think "god, whoever wrote that is a bit of a dick". 

As for hitting children---its wrong. Full stop. Its wrong now and it has always been wrong. There is no "right way" to use corporal punishment on a child. If any of my friends or family admitted to doing it I would most certainly think far less of them. There's no need for it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11772
    tFB Trader
    I think the point in question is that these days parents make little or no effort to get their children to behave in a way that is appropriate for some venues - like a small pub or restaurant.

I was having (or trying) to have a quiet romantic dinner with the missus a while back and someone's bored child was running around, bashing into people and sliding on their knees and making any chance of anyone else getting on with their meal difficult.
    The parents and their friends had finished their meal but were extending their chatting over coffees.

I happened to turn round and look at the child ruining my (relatively expensive) meal and the parent stood up, came over and started shoving me, and told me to turn around and mind my own business, and not stick my nose in where it wasn't needed, unless I wanted a punch in the face - all over a glare.

The restaurant staff would not intervene, as they were partly scared of this big black chap and not inclined to get involved in matters between diners, however obvious it was what was going on.

So I see the sign as funny, and as a reminder to parents that they are supposed to be in charge of their kids when out in public.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    edited October 2014

So I see the sign as funny, and as a reminder to parents that they are supposed to be in charge of their kids when out in public.
    The kind of dick who lets their kids run amok in a situation like that isn't going to pay any attention to a sign. They're not self aware enough to realise what their kids are doing, never mind pay attention to a bit of writing on a board. 

If the restaurant have a problem with patrons who bring badly behaved children then they need to man up and deal with it properly, not write passive aggressive signs masquerading as (not very) funny signs. 

If they don't have a problem with patrons who bring badly behaved children then they just need to find someone to write funnier signs. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited October 2014
    As for hitting children---its wrong. 
    1. Who says so?
    2. What is "hitting"? A bunched fist is, yes. Is the flat of the hand (as in "smack")? Not in my opinion, no.
    3. Not all punishment is violence, or failure to reason.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
  • As for hitting children---its wrong. 

2. What is "hitting"? A bunched fist is, yes. Is the flat of the hand (as in "smack")? Not in my opinion, no.

You tell yourself that. 

I'd find that a laughable suggestion if it wasn't so tragic. 
  • As for "says who?" 

Still, "never did me any harm" knows best. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    I think the main issue with the sign is that the landlady refers to a parents child as 'it'. Children are little people with feelings.  Other than that, I don't know whether to take the sign literally or not.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I'm very much torn on this - as a parent who loves his little 'un to bits and has thankfully very rarely had to resort to as much as a smack on the bum when she was (too little to be able to reason with beyond that, and) putting herself in danger (as in, the third time on a walk she's tried to run into the road, or similar) I bend to my leftist predications. 

As a teacher who daily deals with kids whose parents have clearly never given a shit about their kids' attitude to others, nail the lot of 'em to a table, preferably one made of lead, and chuck the fucker in the ocean. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    edited October 2014
    IanSavage said: I'm very much torn on this - as a parent who loves his little 'un to bits and has thankfully very rarely had to resort to as much as a smack on the bum when she was (too little to be able to reason with beyond that, and) putting herself in danger (as in, the third time on a walk she's tried to run into the road, or similar) I bend to my leftist predications. 
    --
    Children that small can't correlate the link. Spanking them doesn't teach them
    anything positive. It just teaches them that sometimes its ok for big strong people to hit little people. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom