Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UKIP have an MP

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    It doesn't need to be a panacea it just needs to be less shit ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Evilmags said:
    PR is hardly a panacea either. It requires party lists and removes a lot of local accountability. If people wanted to improve democracy then more accountability is required, not less.
    That will only work when power is devolved from the centre. Your local MP has bugger all power .. he can help with some minor bits and bobs but whatever the system the party in power could provide a local representative. A PR system would give us a government that was more representative of people's views. The fact that Miliband could comfortably win an election on 30 per cent of the vote [the Tories would need 36 per cent] is a national joke.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    My experience inside Government is that MP's enquiries are treated equally within departments (ministerial level is of course a different matter - power networks/old boy/ties etc matter far more).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Fretwired said:
    The fact that Miliband could comfortably win an election on 30 per cent of the vote [the Tories would need 36 per cent] is a national joke.
    Except that it isn't remotely funny - either of them.

Since Hitler has been mentioned already it's probably safe to point out that the Nazis achieved power on about that percentage of the vote.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    ICBM;379027" said:
    Fretwired said:

I
    The fact that Miliband could comfortably win an election on 30 per cent of the vote [the Tories would need 36 per cent] is a national joke.

Except that it isn't remotely funny - either of them.

Since Hitler has been mentioned already it's probably safe to point out that the Nazis achieved power on about that percentage of the vote.
    A fact quoted by Professor Hoppe in his book, "democracy the god that failed". People like Chavez got democratic mandates while ruining their countries and destroying liberty. I fail to see why 51% of the population have the right to lord it over those who disagree with them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Evilmags said:
    A fact quoted by Professor Hoppe in his book, "democracy the god that failed". People like Chavez got democratic mandates while ruining their countries and destroying liberty. I fail to see why 51% of the population have the right to lord it over those who disagree with them.
    Nor me, but it's marginally more acceptable than 33% lording it over the rest.

The problem is with the subsequent behaviour, not the principle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    ICBM;379062" said:
    Evilmags said:A fact quoted by Professor Hoppe in his book, "democracy the god that failed". People like Chavez got democratic mandates while ruining their countries and destroying liberty. I fail to see why 51% of the population have the right to lord it over those who disagree with them.

Nor me, but it's marginally more acceptable than 33% lording it over the rest.

The problem is with the subsequent behaviour, not the principle.
    That's not wrong. There are serious issues regarding both moral hazard and abuse of power. And massive abuse of public money on just about every level. Living in Spain opens your eyes as to how far political abuse can go.