Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your first pay packet and how you spent it.........

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5037
Mine was when I started my apprenticeship in 1971.  £4.40 take home pay of which £4.00 went to pay my digs for the week.  Even back then Forty Pence did not give me much buying power.  Inflation was running like crazy in the 1970s.  I remember my first new Honda 50 was bought when I was a second year apprentice in 1972.  The repayments cost £1.00 per week but Ten Pence worth of petrol kept me driving all week.

In 1972, a pint of Guinness cost Nineteen Pence, a half pint cost Ten Pence.  Amazing how you can always remember the important things!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Embarrassing .. a pair of platform shoes circa 1974 .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure about the w/e jobs I had as a schoolboy, but the first f/t job I had was a stopgap between me leaving school and going to uni. I was a sales assistant in a crap cheapo electrical good store (Rumbelows, later assimilated by Currys). IIRC I spent my first few pay packets on stereo & records. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I got £10 for a full days work as a Saturday job, in 1995, I bought 22nd hand cd albums, which were the Red hot chilli's ep and slayer south of heaven, plus a birthday cake in the shape of a Heineken can, even though it wasn't anyone's birthday, I just wanted a bug cake:-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7214
    I went to Camden bought some old 501s and records. 

Spent the rest on acid and weed.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibe said:
    I went to Camden bought some old 501s and records. 

Spent the rest on acid and weed.
    good move :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    1st, Dunlop wah
    2nd, dano daddy-o overdrive
    3rd & 4th. Cheri superstrat
    5th & 6th. Teisco spectrum bass

lost track after that. but fairly sure the 17th anniversary of that first GAS is next weekend.

i already had 2 guitars, 2 amps and a multifx which were all essential before that
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    First job 1986 I think. I don't recall my first pay packet, but the first 3 things I bought (probably several pay packets!) we're an awesome hi fi that my dad helped me put together (all separates), a cheap mini and a guitar.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    £30 YTS money, gram of whizz and a teenth of black. Fags and other essential bits with
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    If we exclude paper rounds etc which would have funded comics and sweets then a music centre along with some singles and LPs from my first proper job after school and weekends. 

Twas in a cinema starting 1976 ish, loads of perks.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

P/T (at 15) a stereo, which I still have and use.

F/T (19) probably beer, smokes, and rugby boots.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I hired a prostitute to do my paper round for me so I could stay in playing SEGA Megadrive.  I think she saw the irony in getting paid to shove things in other people's boxes and I nearly completed Street Fighter champion edition.  Good times.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1988 I was 16 and my brother in laws brother got me a job at Enterprise Textiles as a screen printer(machine minder) on a 4 days on 4 days off nightshift but on the books I was a day shift floor sweeper because of my age.. take home pay was £168pw, 4 wks later I was buying a yellow Honda Melody and going Skeggy for the weekend
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    I'd got a job as a kitchen cleaner at a pub restaurant and the first pay I got I went a nd bought the Steve Vai live at the Astoria DVD.

However when I got my first full time job I got a 7 string from Feline Guitars.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    First giro, 1981, some weed and two boxes of After Eight mints.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Tricky one this. If by paypacket we mean first full time job, I think there's every possibility that I bought a guitar, and spent the rest of it in the pub. Actually I can't remember, but it's probably what I would have done!

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    The part time job I had from 16 until leaving uni paid for guitar mags, CDs and trips to the pub.

Getting a full time job meant finally getting around to passing my driving test so a lot of my monthly pay went on lessons and then on car payments once I'd passed.  After that it was a decent PC which is still going strong now 10 years later.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    First actual job was as a Saturday boy in an ironmongery shop circa 1967. Earnt 50p for a day's work, but my old man made me buy my mum a box of chocolates so most of that disappeared.
    First full time job was working in an accounts office. I bought a Coloursound fuzz pedal, long gone sadly.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    A copy of Jimi Plays Woodstock on VHS and some Travel Fox basketball boots.

I didn't get my first proper electric for another year.. pub & bus fares took their toll on my savings a little. Great times though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6423
    Full-time pay - went out and bought a hardtail strat on HP ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I think there's a pattern emerging.