Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your first pay packet and how you spent it.........

What's Hot

Comments

• I think there's a pattern emerging.
    music drink & drugs
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    music drink & drugs
    Condoms missing from list
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12460
    An eighth of sputnik, 6 tabs of acid, 2 grams of whizz and a bottle of cider, the rest I just squandered.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    music drink & drugs
    I did think of a well known Ian Dury title, but the first word did seem to be missing from the import of most of the posts
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Joined RN in 78 straight from school, first pay was £25 a fortnight, spent it on beer and some non essentials like soap shampoo and such!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

I remember getting my first credit card, though. £100 credit limit, I maxed it out on a new Seiko watch immediately it arrived before realising I couldn't really afford the repayments.

My old man had to bail me out.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    I got about three hundred quid in 1987. I went straight to Shades in Wardour street and spent the lot.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    Genuinely no idea. I always had part-time jobs from school through to Uni so the first full time packet probably wasn't a big deal.

I bought mopeds, cars and other 'big' things with cash from part-time jobs because I was a grafter with two or three jobs whilst studying full-time.

I'm pretty much the opposite now! I should try and tap into that old work ethic. Too much of a comfortable 9-5er these days...

I've enjoyed reading and lol'd at some of the responses above though.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited October 2014
    Saved up my first 8 pay packets in 1987 across the entire summer holidays, I was a landscape Gardners assistant. I got 40 quid a week. At the end of the holidays I had enough to buy a JCM800 MV 100w head and an old beaten up Orange 4x12 cab.
    It's still the best amp I ever owned and I still regret selling it a few years later.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16421
    I've never had a part time job apart from a brief run as a paper boy. My first full time job was at 18 with FAG bearings. Pretty sure most of my wages went to my mom for housekeeping.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24709
    Ah yes.... my first pay packet....  I believe it was three florins.  I gave one to the King's tax collector and blew the other two on a wild night of glugging mead until I threw up on the Boar Roast.  I was bannede from the tavern for six months after that.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember getting my first credit card, though. £100 credit limit, I maxed it out on a new Seiko watch immediately it arrived before realising I couldn't really afford the repayments.

My old man had to bail me out.

I was a late comer to credit cards and current account, I have made up for those lost years with a sizable CC balance and an overdraft that could bail Greece out so all's good :(
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I spent the summer before uni working in the Michelin factory, spent my first pay packet on a digitech rp something or other, a vox overdrive pedal (it was chrome and I had cash), an ebow, some picks and a guitar strap. I remember this day vividly awesome day.
    I also didn't have to spend my hard earned moneys on weed because my best friends uncle sold it and always sorted us out. :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • YTS 1988 = £29.00 per week (roughly). It was an Engineering Trainee course that led to a placement. I might have bought Albums by Maiden, Metallica or Slayer back then and am pretty sure some booze and cigs were purchased too.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    maltingsaudio;376685" said:
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

chillidoggy said:

I think there's a pattern emerging.

music drink & drugs

I left school at the height of Sport Fucking, ie, post-pill, pre-AIDS, we didn't use them much.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Bellycaster;376917" said:
    YTS 1988 = £29.00 per week (roughly). It was an Engineering Trainee course that led to a placement. I might have bought Albums by Maiden, Metallica or Slayer back then and am pretty sure some booze and cigs were purchased too.
    That's what all my mates were doing in 88-9.. it was all 50cc motorbikes and S reg Capris. NWOBHM, skin tight black jeans and white baseball boots. + latest Metallica/Megadeth tops.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    My first full time wage, and this is the truth, I bought an iguana :D

The next week's pay was spent on the lights and things I'd later read that I needed to keep it alive. Had him for almost 14 years when he died of old age, he was awesome

I have another now, he's kind of pure evil though.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bellycaster;376917" said:
    YTS 1988 = £29.00 per week (roughly). It was an Engineering Trainee course that led to a placement. I might have bought Albums by Maiden, Metallica or Slayer back then and am pretty sure some booze and cigs were purchased too.
    That's what all my mates were doing in 88-9.. it was all 50cc motorbikes and S reg Capris. NWOBHM, skin tight black jeans and white baseball boots. + latest Metallica/Megadeth tops.

Haha, yes, that was the "uniform" back then, that and Double Denim, I remember it well, although I never did the baseball cap thing like a lot of the Moshers did.

Them were t'days!

:-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    I remember when I went to college (I lasted 6 months so not bragging btw), my Dad got some sort of education related tax refund which he gave me for 'expenses'. 

As soon as I got to Belfast I went to the nearest music shop with a 50 watt Marshall JMP head & bought it but left it in the shop till I was going home at the weekend. No car at the time so I remember carrying it from the shop to the bus stop - by the time I got home my right arm was 7mm longer than the left. Fun times - still having fun times.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    p90fool said
    I left school at the height of Sport Fucking, ie, post-pill, pre-AIDS, we didn't use them much.
    Oh yes the era of strictly bareback, I mind it well.