Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your first pay packet and how you spent it.........

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    I remember very clearly.  I bought a pair of B&W 602 speakers !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    An Awai seperates stereo system out of Currys.
    Amp, tuner, 3 (or was it 5?) CD tray, Graphic Equalizer and twin tape deck WITH HIGH SPEED DUBBING!
    Cost £1000!!!!!!!!

It was my first pay packet and I wanted it. They wouldn't give me credit so my old man had to pay for it and then I paid him back. Thing is, he had less money than me at the time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    edited October 2014
    Bellycaster;376917" said:
    YTS 1988 = £29.00 per week (roughly). It was an Engineering Trainee course that led to a placement. I might have bought Albums by Maiden, Metallica or Slayer back then and am pretty sure some booze and cigs were purchased too.
    That's what all my mates were doing in 88-9.. it was all 50cc motorbikes and S reg Capris. NWOBHM, skin tight black jeans and white baseball boots. + latest Metallica/Megadeth tops.

I remember that, Hi Tec league basketball boots, either a Helloween Dr Stein white t-shirt or some pushead design from 'tallica. Pints of snakebite......life was simple then!

I think my first pay went on digs to my mum, and getting my orange amp re-valved (I plugged into a gargantuan HH cab!)
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2014

The very first one went on cigarettes and booze around 15 or 16.  My first decent one when I 17/18, went on drugs as I recall.

You guys got paid a lot eh.  Even back in the 90's, a week's pay barely afforded a weekend out or the rent.  think it all went on rent, pubs, drugs, clubs,  venues, insurance and fuel.

Just remembered I did buy a second hand Maison Les Paul Custom when I was 15, so it wasn't all wasted eh.  That guitar now has no headstock and has woodworm. Still got it though.

I'II be getting 40 soon and, apart from decent guitars, I'm only now buying the stuff I always wanted when I was 20 now and it's used.  Pretty cool though, as I've kept the old catalogues in mint condition, so it feels like a complete time warp reading up on them and the actual items sitting here.  Yeah I'm still 20.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    First pay check was tattie picking at 14. Miserable job. The cash went on booze and fags and bribing an older kid to buy them. First real paycheck went on a hi fi.
  • The deposit on a new Gibson Les Paul from Chase in Oldham Street.
  • First pay check was a paper round. Probably spent it in the Games Workshop. 

Had a few part time jobs throughout university but my first "proper" paycheck was when I started my PhD and they handed me three months funding up front. Needless to say that after five years of being a skint undergraduate getting paid three months pay all at once was...interesting. Cashed the cheque on a Wednesday, went into Sound Control and bought myself a shiny new guitar on the Thursday. Nearly bought myself a Gretsch Electromatic but ended up with this instead:

Still got it, still love it. 
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 438
    edited October 2014
    JMP1 and a 9100 rack system. Saved up quite a few weeks from working in a plastic moulding factory one summer.

@wezv was that the natural maple Cheri super strat?

• First pay cheque was in 1961. I bought a cutting edge piece of sound technology called the Decca Dansette record player and a Shadows EP and a Dave Brubeck album Wore them both out  Got them through a catalogue at so much a week 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    1986. Fine Fare shelf stacker whilst at college.

First wages were a down payment on my Raleigh racer. Had a saddle like a razor blade. Good bike.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    Van_Hayden;378279" said:
    JMP1 and a 9100 rack system. Saved up quite a few weeks from working in a plastic moulding factory one summer.

@wezv was that the natural maple Cheri super strat?
    that's the one.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    just found the pics from when i sold it - showing the scars of my teenage years, although it got off lighter than some of the other guitars i owned back then

and my first ever scallop job
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Started work 11th October 1976. Trainee accountant. Paid at the end of the month and worked out I got about £18.56 for the weeks work. I went gigging on a Friday night and got £20 for the nights 'work'. It was tempting to live the rock and roll lifestyle and at that time far more lucrative. Where did it all go so wrong!

I'd bought an old Mini clubman estate (with the woodwork line a moggy traveller) and took delivery the same day, I needed every gig to afford the car so I could go to work to keep the car....I loved my first car even though it turned out to be a heap of rust and broken bits. My Father was a patient man and bailed me out more than once even though he was hardly wealthy.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

^^ just to make you feel really old, I was 13 months old when that happened.....

What a bastard I am....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    1986, left school and had just got a job assembling racing bikes (of the push variety), the boss was/is the son of James Galway (little claim to fame there), got paid £40 a week. I seem to recall I needed a bike to get to work (no direct busses there) and they let me have one at cost, which I have no idea of the cost, but I guess probably about a ton, and which I probably paid off a few notes a week.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I was 14 and believe it was around £60; I put it towards some sunnies which I bought with the following weeks pay. :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    My first job was washing pots in a shitty restaurant in 1998. I was working 100 hour weeks so though it was only £3.50 an hour I was actually making some decent money. Bought a secondhand Yamaha acoustic that I still have and a Playstation with a copy of Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy VII. 

My first proper wage was in 2002 when I started as an engineer at the BBC. I bought a good quality wool coat that I still have and attempted to buy a Line6 DL4 which was out of stock so I bought an Ebow which I didn't want or need and sold a few years later having never really used it. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    mike_l said:

What a bastard I am....
    Yes.

:))
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Few years ago but i spent mine on an Encore guitar and amp package:

We all had to start somewhere I guess.

:))

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11769
    tFB Trader
    RobDavies said:
    I got about three hundred quid in 1987. I went straight to Shades in Wardour street and spent the lot.
    St Annes Court surely.

If you were a Shades regular this'll be a throwback - I ran into Kelv Hellraiser a couple of weeks ago at a gig..
    Looks exactly the same...

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!