The best guitar ever ?

What's Hot
has to be the Telecaster, so simple, so versatile, so easy to play….
sure there are others that offer humbuckers, vibrato arms, split coils, 3 or 4 pickups, but for a workhorse got to go to geeetar….the Telecaster is the one.
Pedigree, sound, price, reliability…..it has it all ….

of course you disagree…..well let’s hear it !_
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11843
    tFB Trader
    It is the only answer - the Telecaster is the Hammer of the Honkytonk Gods'. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m with you man !!!!!!
    tFB Trader

My own personal number one Tele these days ... 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• TanninTannin Frets: 5997
    D-28 all day long.

But theTele is pretty damn good for an electric. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9105
    Oh you sweet summer children. Never to have tried an original Ian Elson...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader
    The Tele is a wonderful guitar - Even more remarkable in that it was never designed to do half the things it does - Maybe that adds to its potential as one of the best guitars ever - Probably not a stage in the world, or a style of music that has not seen a Tele

But best guitar ? - I only say that as many other guitars have attributes the Tele doesn't - Maybe the best guitar ever has not been invented yet - But if I had to sit on a desert island for 6 months I'd probably take a Tele
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24991
    But best guitar ? - I only say that as many other guitars have attributes the Tele doesn't - Maybe the best guitar ever has not been invented yet - But if I had to sit on a desert island for 6 months I'd probably take a Tele
    There's electricity on your desert island then? ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The shorter scale and fat humbuckers makes the Les Paul a dream to play
      the wide flat neck and ergonomics of the Jackson soloist 
      The all round comfort & utility of a strat 

how do you chose ?
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7396
    Do you mean best after the flying V?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 88
    It has to be the tele, it’s just a great guitar. I never really gelled with electric guitars until I got my first tele. I now have a variety of styles of guitar but it would be obvious at first glance that I love my teles.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Nah... it's the Strat. The Tele is great, for sure - but the Strat is the most versatile, most influential, most recognisable, most iconic electric guitar design ever*. It's not without its faults, but they're easily solved.

It's also true that the Strat wouldn't exist without the Tele, but that doesn't diminish it.

(*The Flying V is No. 2.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30354
    The best guitar is always the one you've just bought.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3000
    edited August 2023
    The correct answer is a P90 Les Paul Custom. Teles get too "wirey" under heavier gain for me and the P90s cover everything better. Enough twang and clarity for lower gain and beasty with the gain wound up :)
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 286
    Does a tele beat the DGT? Fender/ Gibson rolled into one. Coil split. Contoured body (vintage teles are planks). Upper fret access. Tremolo option. Flatter than vintage radius and larger frets….
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:
    The correct answer is a P90 Les Paul Custom. Teles get too "wirey" under heavier gain for me and the P90s cover everything better. Enough twang and clarity for lower gain and beasty with the gain wound up :)
    Too wirey? 
    Never heard Steve Zodiac of Vardis then 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpxhRBHXdT8

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4954
    I do like Teles, but I have to go with the traditional SSS trem Fender Stratocaster. IMHO it's the most versatile and comfortable guitar ever made. The unintended 2 and 4 position tones are just unequalled.  The delta tone on my Limited Edition USA Standard gives a no load tone control to the bridge pickup that adds to it's versatility.  But even without it, nothing sounds like a strat.  And it's curves just make it more comfortable to play than a Tele.  

Both are great designs and great sounding guitars which is why I have both.  Whichever one you prefer, you won't go far wrong.

Fenders of course are not for everyone and in the Gibson family the SG Standard is also a wonderful workhorse, light, comfortable, great upper fret access and with a lively more open and warmer sound than a Les Paul.  I came to the SG late but am really happy I did.  

Needless to say every guitar has it's charms and shortcomings but I think with these 3 guitars you can cover everything you're likely to need. But if I could only have one, it would have to be a Strat. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    To be fair my guitar rack has amongst other stuff ... a Gibson Les Paul two Strats but four Teles ... I love em all, but my ash bodied Tele with four way switching is the one I will always reach for if I just want to kick back and enjoy myself. If there's a second choice it would be a Strat. I tend to feel I sound more like me on a single coil guitar. Les Pauls make me play in different way because of the scale length (I always play tuned down a half step if I'm gigging). 

For metal this was my favourite by a mile ... stupidly I sold mine.  

• RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 197
    Strat

Now fight me in the comments!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8057
    As played by the best guitarist ever so logically we can infer....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    As played by the best guitarist ever so logically we can infer....

Well when you talk acoustics ... I have a pretty  low end Gypsy Jazz guitar sat in the corner of my lounge ... it's my 'go to' noodling acoustic guitar. Only comes alive when you spank the living daylights out of it with a pick like a tombstone ... but then it sounds lovely ... just wish I could play it better.