Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The ten greatest drummers of all time

What's Hot

Comments

• Ok so here's some of my faves and why:

Danny Carey: Tom usage, polyrhythms , compositional approach, odd times

Gavin Harrison: Compositional approach, musicality

Bran Daillor: One of the few people who can make such busy parts work, plus the best singer in the band even while drumming....metnal

Martin Lopez: Creativity in a death metal context, feel, ghost reveries

Matt Cameron: linear grooves, musicality, playing to the song

The one that always flummoxes me is what people see in Mike Portnoy, he plays like a souless automaton and it really feels like he decided his drum parts before the rest of the band turned up. Even in Avenged Sevenfold which really really suits his style of playing he didn't shine for me.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Fretwired said:
    Clarky said:
    Pierre van der Linden: Trace and Focus
    Good call :)
    Pierre brought out a drum tutorial years ago - it was too hard so few people bought it .. :-)

He's a one off .. nice guy. I met him in the 70s ..

if there was ever a thread for "bands you wished you'd seen", for me, Trace would be right up there...

actually [whilst on a brief Trace tangent]...

in amonst all my Logic projects, I have a folder full of "study pieces".. the latest one I added last week is Galliarde..

I want to learn the bass parts and the keys parts on guitar.. it is a complete fkn handfull of a nightmare.. so it's fun..

play every note as if it were your first

drummy question: how about listing a few iconic drum performances.. they don't have to be shredding the kit silly.. drum performances that really stand out because they are really unique or just down right fkn cool..

I'm thinking tracks like this...

Massacre: Thin Lizzy

You Fool No One: Deep Purple

Wot Gorilla: Genesis

Party In Simon's Pants: Los Lobotomies

Nantucket Sleigh Ride: Mountain

• The drum also waltzes - Bill Bruford
    The Snow Goose (all of it) - Andy Ward

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself

Tom Sawyer: Rush

and how could I forget.. YYZ: Rush

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    The problem with "10 Greatest" threads is not who to include, but who to leave out. People get upset when their favourites are not included. With that in mind, here is a completely unknown guy, JJ, doing a drum cover of the famous Ronnie Montrose song, Rock Candy.

Take it away JJ:-

• Who's that really large drummer who has played with Kylie Minogue and I think has played with Madonna on a number of occations. Really massive guy, you'd never think he'd get through a set yet plays with so much conviction and power. 
  • Nobody has mentioned Jon Hiseman yet.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    This is cool .... UKZ .. a reincarnated version of UK .. listen to the whole progy track or shoot forward to around 3.48 for the drummer. I'm a fan of the guitarist .. I have an excellent tutorial DVD of his a couple of albums ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Nobody has mentioned Jon Hiseman yet.
    the DC Band played in Leverkusen not long after I first joined the band
    Jon Hiseman was playing in the band that were on before us and in the last song but one he threw down an absolute fkn monster of a drum solo…
    superb player...
    Fretwired said:
    This is cool .... UKZ .. a reincarnated version of UK .. listen to the whole progy track or shoot forward to around 3.48 for the drummer. I'm a fan of the guitarist .. I have an excellent tutorial DVD of his a couple of albums ..

you can so hear King Crimson going on in there...

this guy makes me smile every time I see him play
    Pete Alexander… 

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1849
    No one's mentioned one of the most influential drummers of the last 30 odd years:

Roland Trbob

Been on some massive hits over the years and always seem to keep mint time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I can't believe we're talking about drummers in such a manner. It's almost as if they're human.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1814
    I think there is a mass of good drummers these days some have technique beyond human if you listen to these awesome technical masters you quickly  realise like guitar pure technique does not always make for the best listener experience.

From my perspective Vinne Coluatia has chops and feel in buckets and one of those drummers that lifts the whole band and song to a new level. Watched him play last year with Sting on the back to bass tour and the french audience cheered him endlessly at the end of every break, they love a good drummer. Also saw him with Beck and again he lifts the tunes and adds heart and groove. 

There is an interesting story that goes around I don't remember where I heard but basically Zappa had written out some arcane drum part and Bozio simply could not nail it. In the end Zappa called in Vinnie who walked in with a large sandwich picked up Zappa's parts put the sandwich on a Tom and read and nailed the obscure rhythm and groove Zappa wanted out the gate. As it went on as always Vinnie's glasses slipped down his nose, without missing a beat of one of the hardest parts Zappa had written he pushes up his glasses and carries on, he plays a couple more bars and then reaches for the sandwich and keeps the whole thing rolling while biting lumps off the sandwich.

I also think Billy Cobham, Chester Thompson, Omar Hakim, Manu Katchu, Phill Collins (early Brand X) Steve Gadd
    Its a pretty long list once you get started.

Jez
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    I don't know anything about the technicalities of drumming, but some drummers I really like in the context of the bands they've played in - Joe Franco (Good Rats, Twisted Sister), John Stanier (Helmet, Tomahawk), Jean-Paul Gaster (Clutch, Bakerton Group).
    Drew_fx said:
    awesome..
    I love his solidity...
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Clarky said:
    Drew_fx said:
    awesome..
    I love his solidity...