Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

XL Bully Dogs.........

What's Hot

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5126
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16273
    Yes ,exactly ....if people were content with smaller pets the world would be a safer place ......you'd never see headlines like " Teenager nibbled to death by mutant Pet Hamsters "
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7709
    Dominic said:
     ......you'd never see headlines like " Teenager nibbled to death by mutant Pet Hamsters "
    I once had to deal with a sudden death where a teenager was nibbled to death by hamsters ...... no wait, it wasn't hamsters it was young Chihuahuas - similar thing really  ...... actually, it wasn't a teenager, it was an elderly woman ....... oh yes, and she had already died from natural causes and the pups had no food other than her ...... I don't think it was reported in a headline ..... but she was nibbled, so it was similar.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FYI there is a video of the poor guy who was attacked and died the other day. I've not watched it for obvious reasons but from the comments he was trying to protect his elderly mother who he was out for a walk with. There were a couple of older gentlemen with a stick and a wheelie bin attempting to help but couldn't do much.
    It's a genuinely awful and tragic story but I couldn't help laugh at the thought of the old bloke trying to fight off a savage dog with a wheelie bin. Seems to be an image that could sum up society in 21st century Britain.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4690
    Reverend said:
    Has it actually been confirmed its an XL Bully or is it just the MSM doing their thing of blaming before confirming ? 

either way, tragic , and the owner should be on a manslaughter charge 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4746
    Reverend said:
    Has it actually been confirmed its an XL Bully or is it just the MSM doing their thing of blaming before confirming ? 

Probably somewhere in the middle.  Most the few articles I've seen state 'The police said they think they were XL Bullies'.  
    I would imagine a police officer at the seen said something to that effect but it wasn't in the official police statement as they will need to follow protocol and wait for the confirmation.

They are pretty distinctive, but until they complete tests I suppose there's a small chance they are a slightly different breed.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Seems strange that there have been a spate of attacks in just a couple of weeks. 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1623
    It’s been a rising trend, it’s not happened overnight 
  • Cranky said:
    BillDL said:
    This is all nonsense.  As mentioned in this much older comment in a different thread:
    and in the following comment in this thread:
    any vicious dog can easily be controlled by grabbing its "hips" and bending its back legs upwards in a physiotherapy / chiropractic / yoga manipulation.  The person posting that advice has personally seen it in action and used to great effect.
    I suspect that this would take an awful lot of training to perfect though, because a dog's hips are behind the dangerous end of the dog 
    I'm fairly certain that advice confuses the best way of dealing with an out-of-control dangerous dog (several rounds from a firearm) with trying to entice it to dance a Tango.
    Or, as I originally intended, if you’re there when someone else or something else has been attacked by the dog, you could actually be of service by releasing the dogs jaws fairly quickly.  Obviously the one being attacked won’t be lifting the hind legs, I don’t see the point in being flippant about that.

Also, despite a dog’s power, it can also be fairly easily suffocated with a firm headlock while staying behind/on top of it.  Same with cats (I live in cougar country and have heard tell of it being done by an unarmed hiker).

And there’s always pepper spray.  

I don’t mean any of this to say that it’s no big deal or that these dogs should be allowed.  I was afraid of dogs for a lot of my life and would definitely be afraid to be around a large bully, they are a legitimate public safety issue.  I’m just sharing what I hope is helpful info for those of us composed enough to take action in such circumstances.
    I remember the guy who killed a cougar while out running on a trail I can’t remember where it was if it was the Appalachian trail or somewhere like California . 

I wondered if pepper spray would work, it’s very debilitating 
  • Sassafras said:
    https://www.muscletonebullys.uk/

Look at the gallery. Every single one of those dogs has got cropped ears which is illegal. How come they're allowed to stay in business?
    They're breeding genetic freaks while claiming they make wonderful family pets.
    The owners look well dodgy and the site  looks like it was done by somebody in 1998
  • Reverend said:

The police have said they 'believe' it was an XL bully. They wouldn't say this unless they were almost certain of it. They just use the word 'believe' to cover their backs on the slim offchance that the dog turns out to be a different breed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:

The police have said they 'believe' it was an XL bully. They wouldn't say this unless they were almost certain of it. They just use the word 'believe' to cover their backs on the slim offchance that the dog turns out to be a different breed.
    They said that a couple of times before when there was the big thing about Akitas being the most dangerous dog imaginable in the press - they "believe it was an Akita", when it was actually a GSD. Same when there was a spate of huskies being left alone with kids and biting - turned out to be GSDs a couple of times.

So yeah, they do say it even when they don't know. In the above cases, the cynical amongst us might've thought it's because the police use GSDs, so it's less of a PR hassle if the first stories in the press (ie the ones getting the most attention) don't prompt calls for GSDs to be banned.
    <space for hire>
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 734
    edited October 2023

FYI there is a video of the poor guy who was attacked and died the other day. I've not watched it for obvious reasons but from the comments he was trying to protect his elderly mother who he was out for a walk with. There were a couple of older gentlemen with a stick and a wheelie bin attempting to help but couldn't do much.
    I've seen it. The biggest problem with the mooted ban is that they're talking about compulsory neutering and muzzling, which relies upon both the honesty and the competence of their owners. Bearing in mind that they're almost exclusively owned by 'lip filler and weed' trash who would probably score lower on an IQ test than the dogs themselves, I don't see that as enough at all. @Dominic probably got it right with the defanging-or-euthanasia choice, but I can't help but feel it would be better to just cut straight to the latter option.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited October 2023
    Is there any reason why this can't be resolved by putting a short lead and a muzzle law for any dog that is considered to be a dangerous breed, including those little annoying yappy things that seem to attack everything, and any have designated long lead areas at certain times in parks for those dogs on steroids and off lead times for the ones that are reasonable? 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    Making laws is one thing, enforcing them is another as is punishment should the law not be precise.

The simpler the law, the better. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12497
    I don't know if anyone caught BBC coverage of the rally in London held in support of these mutts.  Some of the owners were interviewed...

All of my preconceptions about the type of person who'd want to own one of these dogs were pretty much validated I'm afraid.  It was like watching vegetable soup being stirred.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1623
    Was this the rally where they had to tell their owners not to bring any XL Bullies?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    Making laws is one thing, enforcing them is another as is punishment should the law not be precise.

The simpler the law, the better. 
    I can’t see the police having time to enforce the law until after someone has been attacked 
    I can’t imagine them having specific patrols looking out for these dogs . 

Best thing is blanket bans on all large vicious dogs and tight regulations on others 
      Plus some sort of license/test  and even then you’ve still got to enforce it .
      Imagine a big no go estate ,someone reports a dog , the owners hide it away in someone else’s gaff til the heat dies off .  There’s kids out causing all sorts of trouble that can’t be controlled now we’ve got dogs too 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Offset said:
    I don't know if anyone caught BBC coverage of the rally in London held in support of these mutts.  Some of the owners were interviewed...

All of my preconceptions about the type of person who'd want to own one of these dogs were pretty much validated I'm afraid.  It was like watching vegetable soup being stirred.
    In all fairness, I have seen a couple of interviews with couples on TV with these dogs, and they were just normal, nice working people. I'm sure that there are a lot of undesirables with them, but there are also 'regular' owners. One couple was having help in training their dog to get used to a muzzle.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19346
    Reverend said:

They said that a couple of times before when there was the big thing about Akitas being the most dangerous dog imaginable in the press - they "believe it was an Akita", when it was actually a GSD. Same when there was a spate of huskies being left alone with kids and biting - turned out to be GSDs a couple of times.

So yeah, they do say it even when they don't know. In the above cases, the cynical amongst us might've thought it's because the police use GSDs, so it's less of a PR hassle if the first stories in the press (ie the ones getting the most attention) don't prompt calls for GSDs to be banned.
    You were saying?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67015811