WezV - Gretsch inspired Baritone

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16740
edited October 2023 in Making & Modding
I'm in the planning stages for a couple of builds at the moment.  I'm doing some DIY on the house, so build time is limited for another couple of weeks.

Anyway, I have some old and new Gretsch parts to use and want to do a Jet style Baritone.

It won't be a clone of anything Gretsch, but will be very reminiscent of them.

The basic design will be a tweaked jet body outline, increased in size by 10%. (based on the John Catto Duo Jet plans availble here https://www.electricherald.com/gretsch-duo-jet-templates/  ) This is how that looks with a 28" scale length.

That's 14.5" across the lower bout.  Roughly an inch bigger than a Jet, but a lot smaller than the biggest hollowbodies.   I'm going to make it as a "solidbody" similar to a Jet I think.

I've not decided on the top yet  but am going to have a play with vacuum pressing my own laminate top, maybe even with a drum wrap layer on top... if that doesn't go to plan  I will carve a top for it.

I've cut a body template.  Ignore pickup routes and plate though 

I'm gonna need a G model name to make these parts work
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Greg ?

or

Gorgonzola

Grifter

Gremola

Guillemot

HTH ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16740
    I dunno, think it needs a bird name... might be a bit cheeky to go with penGuin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    edited October 2023
    wGv?  with the G for Guitars.   Though I do like penGuin and it is symmetrical. 

Those parts cleaned up really nicely.
  • Goshawk

• RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    edited October 2023
    From the British Trust for Ornithology web site:

Green and Gold offer several choices, depending on your colour scheme.

Wikipedia’s list will take a while to read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_by_common_name
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    IMG_0091.jpeg 325.9K
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 342
    Greggs - with a blue and yellow paint job and miniature sausage roll shaped knobs
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I will leave the decision on name for now - its not top of my list.

First is the laminate top idea.. I started a thread recently about drum wrap finishing.   It became apparent I would get better results if I could vacuum form it to carved tops so I started looking into that.

A while back I found a company that makes handpumped vacuum bags for skateboard construction.  They now do sizes suitable for guitars.  If it works its a low cost way into this process with many projects I could use it for.  I've ordered direct as the UK distributer was out of stock.  They do show some guitar projects on their socials
    https://www.roarockit.eu/en/

I also have some old ply plates from the gretsch factory, but they are for a bigger body size... they will however be used as a reference for my experiments here.

This is what Gretsch traditionally refer to as a "soild body"

Note the filler piece of wood that sits between body and pressed ply top - it's not a million miles from those dodgy Les Paul copies

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    I guess nowadays it would be done by a CNC router from one piece, unless the filler is to save weight or to use a bit deeper piece of wood in the centre.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1430
    Egret has most of Gretsch in it.

Grape Lover (Grey Plover) if it was  suitable hue.

piGeon doesn't really work.

Goose cos of the long neck?

You're right, the naming can wait. :)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    PhilKing said:
    I guess nowadays it would be done by a CNC router from one piece, unless the filler is to save weight or to use a bit deeper piece of wood in the centre.
    That's a current pic from their website, it's very close to the old ones though.  It raises up the center section to hold the top plate, similar to the kerfed block used on a 335.

If I do go this way it will likely be european spruce for the filler piece.   It won't matter too much tonally, but will be easy to shape to fit.

• SteveFSteveF Frets: 539
    Loving the look of this. Will be following with interest. 

Gentoo? (A type of penguin) potential for a scratchplate engraving or inlay perhaps 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    SteveF said:
    Loving the look of this. Will be following with interest. 

Gentoo? (A type of penguin) potential for a scratchplate engraving or inlay perhaps 
    Spelled Gen2?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You all get so focused on the oddest things

I should have the vacuum bag tomorrow so will do some tests with laminating veneers and shaping it to curves, which is far more exciting to me
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I made a mistake ordering the vacuum kit, and only ordered a replacement bag - this was due to flipping between the UK and EU sites to find the stuff I wanted.  Anyway, it didn't cost much more to order the bits missing from the kit, I just got stung by a second lot of postage charges so decided to go for the upgraded pump and extra seals at the same time

I now have everything needed

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7899
    Cool project!
    edited November 2023
    I decided to do a quick test with the bag, not for this build, but just to get used to how it works.

I have 3 bits of non-flat veneer, constructional maple, dyed poplar, and poplar burl.  I'm going to laminate these next to a flat piece of cherry.

they go in the bag with some netting on top, this allows good air flow to the valve - then I start pumping

Lets see what comes out the bag tomorrow
  • SimoSimo Frets: 44
    I've been using the Roarockit bags for years for laminating and gluing tops on, they're excellent. Just keep the seal strip clean and replace it now and again, and you can't go wrong.
    edited November 2023
    Simo said:
    I've been using the Roarockit bags for years for laminating and gluing tops on, they're excellent. Just keep the seal strip clean and replace it now and again, and you can't go wrong.
    Have you tried using it to mold to complex shapes like a carved top?  That is the next thing I want to try.  Thankfully Gretsch archtops have less complex contours than a LP carve
  • SimoSimo Frets: 44
    WezV said:
    Simo said:
    Have you tried using it to mold to complex shapes like a carved top?  That is the next thing I want to try.  Thankfully Gretsch archtops have less complex contours than a LP carve

No, I've only ever used it for straight forward gluing jobs, flat tops etc. I have no doubt that it will work just fine for that though.
    moderate success on the test piece.

a coupe of wrinkles in the burl layer, but a lot of it is still usable.

I've ordered some big sheets of veneer for full tops