WezV - Gretsch inspired Baritone

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16737
    It's time to think about colours for this as the next job is to do the binding.

I want to do single or triple ply binding... Likely white/black/white which will go with most finishes.   I also have some white pearl binding which would work well with a few colours, but tacky on most

Hardware is a mix of gold and chrome.  We have the original tailpiece, as well as bridge and tuners in Gold.  Pickups and knobs are chrome.  Pickup rings and plate will likely be sprayed gold on the back of clear plastic.  All the new parts will be aged to match the old ones.  Gretsch did mix parts like this on some old guitars before Bigsby's were available in gold, but even the ones with all gold hardware often end up looking like this as the gold wears so fast

The neck wood may need to be left natural if the figure pops as much as i expect... still unsure of that one

Options:
    Country Gent style natural finish, would work well with top and neck, back would need to be darkened to match. The mix of hardware colours would work well on this

Sparkle jet - i'm not sure the gold hardware will suit the usual silver/champagne sparkle, but it might work well with a black, blue or green sparkle top.  I would spray this I think, although still want to try a proper sparkle drum wrap finish at some point.

Black with pearl binding.... 

Two tone, with a mismatched top and back.  Anniversary style, but probably not those colour choices.  the custom shop seems to be doing a variation on this where they mix a sparkle top with standard metallic back and sides, or vice versa.  that could be fun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    Country Gent is always nice. If you’re going Sparkle then what about bright red?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Country Gent is always nice. If you’re going Sparkle then what about bright red?
    I could be convinced by red sparkle

and they did this with a gold/chrome mix

davros said:
    I vote turquoise sparkle like this: 

That's a no from me

these ae some custom shops i like with interesting finishes

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    I was thinking of either a lighter colour (white/silver), or if you feel up to something more outrageous, a pink sparkle with white back & sides (sort of like PRS Bonnie Pink, but sparkle).
    edited December 2023
    PhilKing said:
    I was thinking of either a lighter colour (white/silver), or if you feel up to something more outrageous, a pink sparkle with white back & sides (sort of like PRS Bonnie Pink, but sparkle).

or with shell pink back and sides - note this one has cream binding

i'm not against it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Two-tone - any colour’s good really!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's looking stunning BTW I think Champagne or teal with the gold (If you must use gold haha) 

• I think sparkle is "right" on a thin-body Gretschy guitar. Either red or black would be my vote.
    I like both of those @WezV.  ;
    I was sent an updated binding jig from Radius Dish UK.  I was quite happy with the old one, but this one is better made with improved bearings and  end stops

so i can finally crack on.  i decided on 2-ply black/cream binding as it will clash least with any crazy finish ideas.  I was tempted by pearloid, but that would suit a simpler colour scheme

channel cut

test fit

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    I'm so looking torward to seeing how this will turn out. :)
  • bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 259
    WezV said:
    Roland said:
    I could be convinced by red sparkle

and they did this with a gold/chrome mix

davros said:
    I vote turquoise sparkle like this: 

That's a no from me

these ae some custom shops i like with interesting finishes

Howabout violet sparkle?
    Here's my former Gretsch Players Edition Jet to illustrate...

Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bound and scraped back.  Im being extra careful not to scrape  through the top veneer.

The clear rings will be sprayed gold on the back

I'm really happy with the proportions for a baritone.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    Quality..
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• That's looking good.  I know what you mean about the veneer - I accidentally rubbed through the top layer on a laminate-sided acoustic once and it looks a right mess.

Would your laser cutter be able to etch your "WV" logo into the tops of some Gretsch-style knobs? I know you've used it successfully on aluminium but not sure if it would work on plated metal.
    That's looking good.  I know what you mean about the veneer - I accidentally rubbed through the top layer on a laminate-sided acoustic once and it looks a right mess.

Would your laser cutter be able to etch your "WV" logo into the tops of some Gretsch-style knobs? I know you've used it successfully on aluminium but not sure if it would work on plated metal.
    Thankfully I have the solid colour finish to cover any mistakes, but so far so good.   I also pre-clear coated the top to make things a little easier to judge

I probably could with the right combination. The laser itself will discolour some metals but not really cut them.  It can cut through a paint layer so I can do it with chemicals then remove the paint.  For this one I will stick with the old Gretsch hardware.   It will be obviously not a Gretsch in many other ways. 

My logo would make a good pointer though, so I will try that at some point :) 
  • WezV said:

My logo would make a good pointer though, so I will try that at some point :) 
    That's what I was thinking - bit like the G arrow knobs (but better I reckon)
    edited February 11
    Test fit

Everything aligns nicely so I only need to carve some rear contours and drill for an output jack.

Bridge is a little high, but I still need to sand it to fit so that should take care one that.  

I also need to do all the plastic plates before finishing.  They will be made from clear perspex and sprayed gold on the back.  

Weight like this is 6 lb 10 oz, but finish and electrics will add a bit back
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's interesting that the effect of it is to look a bit more like a tenor guitar (with a narrower neck), rather than a baritone.  It's looking great and my box of badly corroded Gretsh bits didn't turn up any imperials, so the fact you have some is amazing.