Chappers for the Pumpkins

What's Hot

Comments

• theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1573
    edited June 8
    Also saw them last night. Absolute trash. Chappers could’ve been in the band and I wouldn’t have heard him. The absolute worst I’ve ever seen them. Not a patch on the band I saw in 1995. They should ditch the digital, and beg D’arcy to come back. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 736
    Does D'Arcy even play any more? I mean, she's had some...issues...since being out of the Pumpkins.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1747
    Thats cool to hear - I recall Kiki is a young mum as well, so doing a tour away from home and baby can't be easy on the her or the family!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1573
    Does D'Arcy even play any more? I mean, she's had some...issues...since being out of the Pumpkins.
    So had Jimmy, and Billy. She seems to be happy living on a farm now. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7032
    Philly_Q said:
    topdog91 said:
    Mate of mine's sister in law works at the O2 and got us comps for Weezer and SP tonight. Will report back on what SP are like without Chappers.
    I think you'll be able to feel his absence.  It'll be like an elephant in the room.
    See If you can get the crowd chanting “ Chappers, Chappers” in a footy crowd style before the gig starts.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    edited June 8
    Also saw them last night. Absolute trash. Chappers could’ve been in the band and I wouldn’t have heard him. The absolute worst I’ve ever seen them. Not a patch on the band I saw in 1995. They should ditch the digital, and beg D’arcy to come back. 
    Ditch the digital that's been there since 1998?

I really enjoyed it, even some of the new stuff from ATUM, which I haven't really listened to yet. although that did seem to be toilet break time for lots there D 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3427
    WezV said:
    Saw them at Brum last night.

She did fine.  She looks like she had just stepped out of a hair metal band, but it somehow works with everyone else's eclectic style on stage.

Billy did the introduce the band bit and she had no idea what to do... im guessing she will have a riff prepared for the next gig.

I last saw Pumpkins in 2008, and it was enough to put me off seeing them again for a very long time.  He was grumpy, pissed off that people only wanted old stuff, and hardly interacted with the crowd at all  Then yesterday morning there was a lot of articles from an interview with Billy saying he prefers not to just play the old stuff as that would be too easy.   I was worried.

It was a great.  A good mix of old and new.  Billy was clearly in a great mood and happy to be there.  Lots of interaction with the audience.  His voice started a bit weak, but he quickly got into it Weezer were pretty good too.
    Missed opp for Chappers to open the show, Rabea Reading and Leeds style
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited June 9
    I'm seeing them on Monday , I'm sure I'll have a good time regardless if its digital or not. 
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 383
    On way back:
    Weezer 9/10 - did well to lift not their natural crowd in not their natural environment.
    Pumpkins 5/10 - glimpses of past brilliance but it mostly feels like a product.

To be fair my ratings roughly align with how well I know material released after ~2000.

Both bands paced setlists well. Weezer had a good mix between the more commercial and "enthusiast" stuff. Pumpkins was well paced with lots of newer material to go and take a slash and order beer.

Although I will give it a proper listen / chance as alluded to above.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2661
    Just got back. Weezer were superb and it was a life moment for me to see them live. 

SP were great too, but Weezer was worth the ticket price alone for me.
    I travelled to Ireland to see them. Weezer were much more fun. Every song was great, everyone was singing along and the guitars sounded full and well balanced.

The Pumpkins came out and the drums completely dominated the mix but they sorted that out. Kiki looked like she was having the time of her life but the tone was a bit thin compared to James', and a bit lacklustre in general. The negativity towards Kiki is just pathetic tbh, she was good and always smiling. 

I was fairly near the front and when Bullet With Butterfly Wings was played the crowd went mad, and then they played two songs from Atum and the whole place came to a standstill. Then 1979 came on and the place erupted, and again they played two more relatively unknown newer songs so I don't get the thinking behind this. I know it must be boring to play the same old stuff but to me but maybe put that stuff at the first half of the set because you kind of lose the crowd whenever they're played. I'm a big fan but it was probably about 30 mins too long.

Still, a great night but my feet are still hurting :lol:

Weezer 9/10
    Pumpkins 6/10.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1992
    I travelled to Ireland to see them. Weezer were much more fun. Every song was great, everyone was singing along and the guitars sounded full and well balanced.

The Pumpkins came out and the drums completely dominated the mix but they sorted that out. Kiki looked like she was having the time of her life but the tone was a bit thin compared to James', and a bit lacklustre in general. The negativity towards Kiki is just pathetic tbh, she was good and always smiling. 

I was fairly near the front and when Bullet With Butterfly Wings was played the crowd went mad, and then they played two songs from Atum and the whole place came to a standstill. Then 1979 came on and the place erupted, and again they played two more relatively unknown newer songs so I don't get the thinking behind this. I know it must be boring to play the same old stuff but to me but maybe put that stuff at the first half of the set because you kind of lose the crowd whenever they're played. I'm a big fan but it was probably about 30 mins too long.

Weezer 9/10
    Pumpkins 6/10.
    Sounds like the need to get Chappers on the Bat Phone. 'Greetings' will be his first words on it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2353

Weezer 9/10
    Pumpkins 6/10.
    Sounds like the need to get Chappers on the Bat Phone. 'Greetings' will be his first words on it.
    HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1375

Weezer 9/10
    Pumpkins 6/10.
    I was there too, had a seat though.

I agree with your scoring. Weezer were great. The gap in quality between the Pumpkins older and newer material is massive. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    How long did Weezer play for? 
    I was asked to go and thought about it for Weezer, but Smashing Pumpkins are one of those bands like Alice in Chains that my brain just doesn't acknowledge still exist so I said no.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    they did about an hour in Brum
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1375
    DefaultM said:
    I was asked to go and thought about it for Weezer, but Smashing Pumpkins are one of those bands like Alice in Chains that my brain just doesn't acknowledge still exist so I said no.
    A bit over an hour, I would say 

Weezer 9/10
    Pumpkins 6/10.
    I was there too, had a seat though.

I agree with your scoring. Weezer were great. The gap in quality between the Pumpkins older and newer material is massive. 
    They're more of a prog band now and the sound is vastly different. The production and sound of the recorded mixes are so in your face and modern now that it's jarring hearing the new stuff after listening to the old stuff. I like some of it but yea, it just doesn't have the same quality. The more prog-esque early stuff like Porcelina or Ruby etc are just great songs but the new stuff just isn't in that league. Still, they're obviously great musicians and songwriters and are trying to aim for musicianship but the trade off is that we get songs that don't appeal to many people. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    Monkey lord and the infinite sadness
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23574
    DefaultM said:
    Strange that you say that.  I loved Alice in Chains, but I somehow can't bring myself to care about the post Layne Staley albums, even though I've heard them and they're pretty good.  There's just a sort of cut-off point in my mind.  Some with the last Soundgarden album, it might have been amazing but... there was too much water under the bridge.  It's all me, not them.