Chappers for the Pumpkins

What's Hot

Comments

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 511
    Sporky said:
    Oh, and Melissa Auf Der Maur but when she joined the band I'm not sure you could claim that "the bass player in Hole" was a high profile gig. 
    I did wonder if her tenure was short because she utterly upstaged Billy live. 
    I saw her open for A Perfect Circle back in 2004 or so, and she was awesome. That first album of hers is a belter, 'Follow the Waves' and 'Real a lie' are my highlights 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12138
    Keefy said:
    I expect everyone is aware that BC is a longtime member on here, so anyone who has commented on this thread in anything but the most glowing and sycophantic terms will have put themselves out of the running.
    I'm fairly certain we have a few famous faces on here somewhere, certainly some gear nuts in the real guitar world would love spending time in the actual threads about guitars and gear... James Dean Bradfield, Graham Coxon etc...

Danish Pete got offended by something rather rude someone said about him on here once, so the "Andertons Crew" at least get told when they are talked about (say hi from me, Andertons web team).

My favourite idea is that Chappers is a member here, and starts threads like this one on occasion "don't you think Chappers is a pillock..." just to see the resulting vitriol and spitting out of false teeth that it causes.  If that were true, he would go up in my personal estimation a thousand fold.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 789

My favourite idea is that Chappers is a member here, and starts threads like this one on occasion "don't you think Chappers is a pillock..." just to see the resulting vitriol and spitting out of false teeth that it causes.

I have all my teeth but that made me spit out my coffee . lol duely awarded !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10361
    edited January 13
    If they’re going to hire a YouTube guitarist, then for the sake of the resultant publicity shots alone, they should give the job to Phillip J McKnight.
    Hiring Stevie T would make the internet explode. 

Not a Pumpkins fan at all, but that I would pay to see just for the lols.

Yea people would go mad.  I doubt it would happen. The kid spends his life making inappropriate content for his young audience and poking fun at real musicians, on a real stage, who happen to have had a bad day and then can't join a touring band because of anxiety. I understand the anxiety and stage fright but why make fun of others who might be going through the same thing and cause them harm when they're actually doing it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12443
    Philly_Q said:
    Strongly suspect that the new guitarist will either be a complete unknown, or someone from a band that people have heard of without knowing who the musicians are. 
    That's most bands nowadays, for me.  I could name every member of the bands I've listened to since I was a kid, but all the new bands I've got into in the last decade or so, I could only name a handful of people.  I guess it's the absence of album covers or CD booklets to stare at.
    Definitely, I can remember pouring over the cover of Highway to Hell for hours, Angus and Malcolm Chung on vocals, Cliff Thorburn on guitar Phil Ruddock on bass and Bon Marche on drums. Seared into the memory forever.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28905
    Big fan of celebrity skin here too but I’m sure I read that Corgan secretly wrote most of that - iirc he was knocking boots with Ms Love at the time
    I got the impression they fell out, and his claim afterwards might have been a bit sour-grapey. I don't think he wrote most of it; I think he contributed to all of it.

You can certainly hear on each album the influence of the person she worked with, but equally they're all Courtney. My take is that she genuinely had the ideas each album's collaborator helped complete things - possibly on every track.

America's Sweetheart is really good too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited January 13
    Sporky said:
    Big fan of celebrity skin here too but I’m sure I read that Corgan secretly wrote most of that - iirc he was knocking boots with Ms Love at the time
    I got the impression they fell out, and his claim afterwards might have been a bit sour-grapey. I don't think he wrote most of it; I think he contributed to all of it.
    He has song writing credits on 5 songs out of 12 on that album, not all. I doubt he'd let anyone get away with not giving him his credit no matter how small, so based on knowing what he's like, and the money and legality around this kind of stuff I'd say that the credit he got was fairly accurate.

What's interesting is she said he was really good to work with and was patient and supportive, which doesn't really fit his image but that could be because he was being paid to work with another band and they were an item.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2540
    It was pretty common at the time to claim women needed a man to do the work, like Damon Albarn writing Elastica’s songs. What could a woman possibly know about music eh?
    edited January 13
    elstoof said:
    It was pretty common at the time to claim women needed a man to do the work, like Damon Albarn writing Elastica’s songs. What could a woman possibly know about music eh?
    Yea, this is a big part of it and the myths that perpetuate around a lot of uncompromising women. Demonise the loud, shouty woman with conspiracy theories and rumours that undermine her so she hopefully shuts up. She didn't shut up and good for her. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23331
    edited January 13
    elstoof said:
    There's certainly a sexism element, but there's also a reluctance to give credit to a "small name" if a "big name" is known to be involved. 
    Like the 1951 film The Thing From Another World, directed by Christian Nyby and produced by Howard Hawks.  Many critics have claimed Hawks really directed it, and Nyby never denied being happy to take Hawks' advice, but if Hawks wanted the director's credit surely he could have easily pulled rank?  I've always felt sorry for Nyby.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12186
    If they’re going to hire a YouTube guitarist, then for the sake of the resultant publicity shots alone, they should give the job to Phillip J McKnight.
    It would cause too much confusion in the fan base, especially if they dressed in a similar vein.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3351
    Philly_Q said:
    Sporky said:
    Oh, and Melissa Auf Der Maur but when she joined the band I'm not sure you could claim that "the bass player in Hole" was a high profile gig. 
    I did wonder if her tenure was short because she utterly upstaged Billy live. 
    I didn't know that.  I'm fairly sure I bought her first solo album, although I have absolutely no recall of what it sounded like.
    It’s ace. 
    edited January 13
    Melissa left because she was contracted to do the Machina tour and that's it. I don't think that either of them was really feeling it and wanted to do the solo project she had planned after she left Hole. She wasn't kicked out or anything as far as I know. I actually saw them on this tour at Wembley Arena I believe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14632
    The eponymous MAdM album very nearly is a solo project. She plays a bunch of guitar, bass and keyboard parts plus, of course, the lead vocals. 

Kinda like Annie "St. Vincent" Clark.

Can you imagine what a collaboration between them would be like?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2343
    The eponymous MAdM album very nearly is a solo project. She plays a bunch of guitar, bass and keyboard parts plus, of course, the lead vocals. 

That would be quite damn cool! 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12138
    Philly_Q said:
    elstoof said:
    There's certainly a sexism element, but there's also a reluctance to give credit to a "small name" if a "big name" is known to be involved. 
    Like the 1951 film The Thing From Another World, directed by Christian Nyby and produced by Howard Hawks.  Many critics have claimed Hawks really directed it, and Nyby never denied being happy to take Hawks' advice, but if Hawks wanted the director's credit surely he could have easily pulled rank?  I've always felt sorry for Nyby.
    Well even more famously, Tobe Hooper has never really been fully allowed a Director credit for "Poltergeist"... on the basis of it being probably one of the finest ghost stories ever filmed, and as Spielberg was involved, it's always assumed that Spielberg directed it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...

That would be quite damn cool! 
    Yea I love St Vincent, she's a genius. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28905
    Where should someone who has never knowingly heard St Vincent start? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Where should someone who has never knowingly heard St Vincent start? 
    Under "S" I suppose, unless they're being perverse and file her under "V".
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    elstoof said:
    Well even more famously, Tobe Hooper has never really been fully allowed a Director credit for "Poltergeist"... on the basis of it being probably one of the finest ghost stories ever filmed, and as Spielberg was involved, it's always assumed that Spielberg directed it.
    Yes, that's true.  Despite Hooper having directed possibly the greatest horror movie ever, his track record is... mixed.  Poltergeist has some quite nasty/scary bits though, which don't seem like pure Spielberg.  I'm sure there was friendly collaboration.