Chappers for the Pumpkins

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    edited January 11
    On a side note, stick Wes Borland in there and see what happens
    It's way beyond Wes. I doubt they want someone to do anything complicated and despite what some people seem to think, he is a very good guitarist. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bea would be a really good shout, actually.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    edited January 11
    It's way beyond Wes. I doubt they want someone to do anything complicated and despite what some people seem to think, he is a very good guitarist. 
    I think Jeff Schroeder, the guy they're replacing, was a pretty advanced player (going entirely on what I've read rather than anything I've heard) - although I have no idea what his actual role was within SP.  I would guess the role might be to play some complicated stuff, but no creative input required or wanted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 437
    CloudNine said:
    Pumpkins would go from Grunge to Cringe. In fairness, they kind of made that leap anyway without any help from Chappers.

I do see him as a large stodgy vegetable though, but always thought more of a turnip than pumpkin.

(And for any smart arses about to tell me that a pumpkin is a fruit, go have it with your f*cking ice cream then!) 
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-pumpkin-ice-cream/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1460
    What's wrong with just sticking with the 2 guitarists. It wasn't a hindrance in the past!
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    edited January 11
    I would love to see YouTuber Dave Simpson get the Smashing Pumpkins gig.
    It would be great to see an outstanding guitarist get a break.
    He is a big fan of them so probably knows every song .
    Doubt he would apply tho.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5266
    Philly_Q said:
    I think Jeff Schroeder, the guy they're replacing, was a pretty advanced player (going entirely on what I've read rather than anything I've heard) - although I have no idea what his actual role was within SP.  I would guess the role might be to play some complicated stuff, but no creative input required or wanted.
    Also, I'd imagine Corgan would probably want someone with a lot of common ground musically? Malmsteen, Sherman/Denner, TIpton/Downing, Lynch etc?
    Jeff is an excellent guitarist and I loved he was using Yamaha Revstars on the last tour.
    He was also using another favourite of mine The brilliant Two Notes Torpedo Captor X in his live rig.
    Two of them  =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    As Billy Corgan and Devin Townsend are basically the same person, there's an obvious candidate... 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    edited January 11
    Philly_Q said:
    Yea Jeff is good but Jeff was someone who was in higher education or something at the time he got this gig, he probably jumped at this chance to tour with the Pumpkins. In comparison to Wes Borland he's not an internationally renowned guitarist for a huge metal band that fills arenas like Wes is, who also has his own side projects. I don't get what an accomplished, well known guitarist would get from being a hired gun with no creative input. I don't even know Chappers would get out of it. From what some people in the know have told me, these kinds of gigs aren't generally that well paid considering the money involved but I don't know, of course. 

I doubt that this new person is taking the complex, or recognisable parts away from Billy/James.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2370
    I would love to see YouTuber Dave Simpson get the Smashing Pumpkins gig.
    It would be great to see an outstanding guitarist get a break.
    He is a big fan of them so probably knows every song .
    Doubt he would apply tho.
    He's a nice lad, he is humble and probably doesn't realise his potential, great player, BUT, he isn't right for the Pumpkins.

Style is too Frusciante (who I rate but it's a totally different style) mixed with pub blues. People lap that up...but it isn't the Pumpkins.

With Rob C, Dave S and Danish Pete, to me they are all too 'guitar-centric' and would, more so with players like Rob/DP, want to be THAT guitarist in a band that is way more of a song band. James Iha is an absolute fantastic player....someone needs to compliment him and have the right feel. 

Sure, Pumpkins have solos, but to me the songs come WAY first, and the drums are a far more important dominant role in Pumpkins!
    oh_pollo said:
    He's doing that Schrodinger's Dickhead thing where a person changes the intention of what they said depending on the reaction. If nothing happens then he can say, "OMG of course I was joking...you people are unbelievable. Honestly." but if he got a whiff of Corgan's Big Muff do you think we'd ever hear the end of, "You know I was in talks with the Smashing Pumpkins but sadly we couldn't make it work as the Madison Square Garden gig clashed with my Andertons TV LandlordFX Blindfold challenge."
    This is pure gold hahahahhahahah. 
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Also, I'd imagine Corgan would probably want someone with a lot of common ground musically? Malmsteen, Sherman/Denner, TIpton/Downing, Lynch etc?
    I would put money on Billy not wanting Maimsteen or anyone like him.
    I know if I had a band I wouldn’t want him anywhere near it.

Newsflash...

Just been confirmed Danish Pete has got the gig.

Corgan and co have just released the following statement:
    ‘We have long been fans. All of us loved his work with Westlife, Roman Keating, Girls Aloud and Atomic Kitten to name but a few. We just knew he was the right fit for us and with a resume like that we had to have him.’
    Those absolutely killer bands with amazing guitar/bass tones.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24202
    Sporky said:
    As Billy Corgan and Devin Townsend are basically the same person, there's an obvious candidate... 
    Maybe in a Before/After Slimming World advert.  Sorry Billy, that's not meant to be body shaming... 
    They are groups of singers Not bands.
    It really pisses me off when these Prefabricated bunches of male and female singers are called bands.
    Girls Allowed announced they are reforming to do some shows.
    Why haven’t they asked Pete ?
  • loved his work with Westlife, Roman (sic) Keating, Girls Aloud and Atomic Kitten to name but a few.
    These are always high on the namecheck list for every guitarist citing their influences.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 484
    loved his work with Westlife, Roman (sic) Keating, Girls Aloud and Atomic Kitten to name but a few.
    These are always high on the namecheck list for every guitarist citing their influences.
    You say that, and while it's not my jam either, I suspect that getting session work with them is still highly competitive, not to mention the other folks he's worked with (Tom Jones, particularly).
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12809

Newsflash...

Just been confirmed Danish Pete has got the gig.

Corgan and co have just released the following statement:
    ‘We have long been fans. All of us loved his work with Westlife, Roman Keating, Girls Aloud and Atomic Kitten to name but a few. We just knew he was the right fit for us and with a resume like that we had to have him.’
    Those absolutely killer bands with amazing guitar/bass tones.
    Oh I dunno, Girls Aloud had a few riffs in them...

Easier on the eye than the Pumpkins as well... (trigger warning - contains horrific green screen work)

You are the dreamer, and the dream...