Chappers for the Pumpkins

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16324
    So did we conclude is Chapper plant based or not? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12992
    I'd be amazed if its anyone high profile. Its not Billy's style. 

Out of all the members of the Pumpkins over the years (and there have been a lot) the people who had the highest profile prior to joining the band were probably Tommy Lee (who played drums with them for about five minutes) and the bass player from The Killers (who, again, played with them for about fifteen minutes and who is so high profile I sadly can't even remember his name). Oh, and Melissa Auf Der Maur but when she joined the band I'm not sure you could claim that "the bass player in Hole" was a high profile gig. 

Strongly suspect that the new guitarist will either be a complete unknown, or someone from a band that people have heard of without knowing who the musicians are. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23524
    Strongly suspect that the new guitarist will either be a complete unknown, or someone from a band that people have heard of without knowing who the musicians are. 
    That's most bands nowadays, for me.  I could name every member of the bands I've listened to since I was a kid, but all the new bands I've got into in the last decade or so, I could only name a handful of people.  I guess it's the absence of album covers or CD booklets to stare at.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12336
    Philly_Q said:
    That's most bands nowadays, for me.  I could name every member of the bands I've listened to since I was a kid, but all the new bands I've got into in the last decade or so, I could only name a handful of people.  I guess it's the absence of album covers or CD booklets to stare at.
    This 110%.  But could just be age and an inability to retain names even though you knew them at some point...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 330
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    This 110%.  But could just be age and an inability to retain names even though you knew them at some point...
    I know the names of a few guitarists or singers from bands I like mainly because I see them interviewed/putting videos out/general chat but I don’t make an effort to learn them. I could probably name single digits of bass players and drummers, probably 20ish guitarist or singers.

Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I think perhaps our memory's ability to store new information declines a bit, but I still manage to take in quite a lot from the news, films, books etc... and stuff in work.  The things I knew 10, 20, 30 years ago are (mostly) still all there, and I'm still good at pub quizzes!  I do have those moments where a name refuses to spring to mind, but it comes back to me later.

The band members thing is weird, though.  It's definitely partly down to not seeing physical media like LP and CD covers, not reading music and guitar mags any more.  But maybe on a subconscious level I'm not as interested in those details as I used to be - I think I want to remember them, but my memory refuses to play.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    Paul_C said:
    one of mankind's greatest achievements
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28997
    Oh, and Melissa Auf Der Maur but when she joined the band I'm not sure you could claim that "the bass player in Hole" was a high profile gig. 
    I did wonder if her tenure was short because she utterly upstaged Billy live. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Oh, and Melissa Auf Der Maur but when she joined the band I'm not sure you could claim that "the bass player in Hole" was a high profile gig. 
    I did wonder if her tenure was short because she utterly upstaged Billy live. 
    I didn't know that.  I'm fairly sure I bought her first solo album, although I have absolutely no recall of what it sounded like.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28997
    I saw them in Atlanta on the Machina tour. Billy had a black leather dress thing on, but looked like a meek vicar-turned-shopkeeper next to Melissa.

I liked her albums. Not perfect but some really good stuff in there. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:

I liked her albums. Not perfect but some really good stuff in there. 
    Ditto. Need to give them a spin again, actually. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10381
    I know that Melissa wasn't in Hole then but Live Through This is a great album and there's lots of great stuff on Celebrity Skin too. 
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 730
    I know that Melissa wasn't in Hole then but Live Through This is a great album and there's lots of great stuff on Celebrity Skin too. 
    I always found it really frustrating that all the hype and bullshit around Love got in the way of what was actually a really good band; 'Malibu' is one hell of a song, likewise 'Doll Parts' (a personal fave) and 'Celebrity Skin'. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I always found it really frustrating that all the hype and bullshit around Love got in the way of what was actually a really good band; 'Malibu' is one hell of a song, likewise 'Doll Parts' (a personal fave) and 'Celebrity Skin'. 
    Violet was always my favourite. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7299
    Big fan of celebrity skin here too but I’m sure I read that Corgan secretly wrote most of that - iirc he was knocking boots with Ms Love at the time
    edited January 12
    Big fan of celebrity skin here too but I’m sure I read that Corgan secretly wrote most of that - iirc he was knocking boots with Ms Love at the time
    It's not a secret, he has songwriting credits on 5 of the 12 songs, which he co wrote with Courtney and Eric.

This myth that he wrote the whole album is just a way to discredit her when she did in fact write most of the songs without him but yes, she did write some of the songs, or parts of the songs with him.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2340
    I expect everyone is aware that BC is a longtime member on here, so anyone who has commented on this thread in anything but the most glowing and sycophantic terms will have put themselves out of the running.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9734
    If they’re going to hire a YouTube guitarist, then for the sake of the resultant publicity shots alone, they should give the job to Phillip J McKnight.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If they’re going to hire a YouTube guitarist, then for the sake of the resultant publicity shots alone, they should give the job to Phillip J McKnight.
    Hiring Stevie T would make the internet explode. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10369
    edited January 13
    Hiring Stevie T would make the internet explode. 

Not a Pumpkins fan at all, but that I would pay to see just for the lols.

Laugh, love, live, learn.