Knopflers Auction Guitar list 31 jan

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    RobG3294 said:
    Feck me, this ginger lass reckons it's Eurovision or something?

She's good though.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 563
    rlw said:
    RobG3294 said:
    Feck me, this ginger lass reckons it's Eurovision or something?

She's good though.
    I came back on to say exactly that - she is to be fair. Just the right level of humour mixed in. Already much more watchable than before. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    rlw said:
    Offset said:
    I'm unschooled in the ways of auctions, but I must admit I thought auctioneers would have been expected to have had a reasonably decent level of knowledge of the clobber they're flogging.  In this instance the auctioneer made absolutely no effort to conceal her total ignorance of each and every lot.  It somewhat took me by surprise but given the amateurishness on display around other aspects of the proceedings, perhaps it shouldn't have. 

The assessors, with considerable experience, will value it but It's the auctioneer's job to sell it and if they can do that and get a good price while knowing SFA about it, they are doing their job well.
    Well it looks like the assessors didn't (with a couple of exceptions) have much more insight than the auctioneer!
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 417
    rlw said:
    Offset said:
    I'm unschooled in the ways of auctions, but I must admit I thought auctioneers would have been expected to have had a reasonably decent level of knowledge of the clobber they're flogging.  In this instance the auctioneer made absolutely no effort to conceal her total ignorance of each and every lot.  It somewhat took me by surprise but given the amateurishness on display around other aspects of the proceedings, perhaps it shouldn't have. 

The assessors, with considerable experience, will value it but It's the auctioneer's job to sell it and if they can do that and get a good price while knowing SFA about it, they are doing their job well.
    It's all a bit weird to me. Like, really? Someone was going to pay x for a guitar but the auctioneer is good so they pay x + y? Like, when you get your Knopfler Schechter home and wonder why you didn't buy hundreds of Hellraiser C-1 FRs, you won't be thinking about the auctioneer... Are people impulse bidding even at that level? The mind boggles.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Compared to the Clapton and Gilmour sales, the ‘star’ lots have sold for far less. I wonder if this is because MK was less associated with individual guitars, the state of the economy, or just that the collectors don’t ‘value’ him at the same level?
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    topdog91 said:
    Are people impulse bidding even at that level? The mind boggles.
    I expect so.  Most bidders will be in a completely different league to mere mortals, the figures will be very much disposable to them.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 960
    Anybody got an estimate of running total?

IIRC Gilmour's collection was >£20M with the Shine On black Strat @£3M on its own. Don't know anything about Clapt-out's auction.

It'll be interesting to see the bottom line of MK's and compare with t'other two.
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1128
    edited January 31
    I have a KK Downing 65 strat from his auction that is seen on many videos for £15k. I now look at this as an absolute bargain when looking at this auction today.

I just don’t understand the prices people have paid for most of these items. 

I am thinking most of these items must be going to America, but even then I just can’t understand why anyone would pay these prices for standard guitars without any evidence of use on albums or live playing.

The money for nothing Gibson maybe, but most of the other stuff is insane 
    stufisher said:

IIRC Gilmour's collection was >£20M with the Shine On black Strat @£3M on its own. Don't know anything about Clapt-out's auction.

It'll be interesting to see the bottom line of MK's and compare with t'other two.
    Yes, so far a total hammer price of £4,870,000 and total price of £6,389,440.

• Is it investment or hero worship? Some of these buyers would probably pay a shitload for Knopfler’s bottled farts
    I can't see many of them being much of an investment, once you've added fees and taxes it mostly wipes out any chance of appreciation for quite a few years.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited January 31
    Voxman said:
    LPManic said:
    Will any go for six figures?
    Nah - all the big ticket stuff has gone - unsurprisingly the '59 LP was the most expensive. 
    It wasn’t. The prehistoric sold for more.
    No it absolutely didn't - the second most expensive was lot 10 £470k for the money for nothing 'prehistoric' LP. The real 59 went for £550k. That's hammer price, so add 31.2% for real prices. 

I can understand that price for a real 59 owned by MK (£791,600 total) - but £616,640 total price for the 59 reissue just because it was played on the MFN video is just insanity! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 417
    Rob1742 said:
    I am thinking most of these items must be going to America, but even then I just can’t understand why anyone would pay these prices for standard guitars without any evidence of use on albums or live playing. 
    Funnily enough the thread at the other place is pretty quiet. Perhaps everyone is busy bidding.

I guess there are just a lot of people out there with so much money that it doesn't matter. And I love Dire Straits but in 2024 (like Floyd)  their demographic probably tends towards those with more to spend.

Okay, any data scientists out there want to plot love of musical acts versus wealth of fans? I reckon the two above, Eagles, Joe Bonamassa, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones are probably up there. 
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • stufisher said:

The major difference here definitely seems to be relative lack of 'iconic' instruments; the Clapton Crossroads auctions had his main strats from his early heyday, plus the cherry ES335 from Cream; the Gilmour auction included his main strats from the Dark Side/Wish You Were Here/The Wall/Pulse eras, plus the Wish You Were Here acoustic. If Knopfler had wanted to flog his Sultans strat, Brothers in Arms National, the Alchemy Schecter strat copies etc, it might be equivalent, but aside from the Money for Nothing Les Paul it's just not on the same level.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    Offset said:
    rlw said:
    Offset said:

Well it looks like the assessors didn't (with a couple of exceptions) have much more insight than the auctioneer!

You won't attract many normal bidders with crazy estimates.   There's a fair few ordinary looking blokes in the audience and they're going to be attracted by the chance, however remote, of getting a bargain.  Put in an estimate of £10k upwards and you lose potential buyers for the cheap stuff.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
    Apparently the Sultans strat was auctioned years ago. I don’t think it fetched more than £300k. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited January 31
    Yorkie said:
    Apparently the Sultans strat was auctioned years ago. I don’t think it fetched more than £300k. 
    He had two red Strats in the early days; a red ‘61 with a rosewood board which he still owns - and one with a maple board which John Suhr believed might have been a copy. That was the one he played a lot on early TV appearances - I believe it went a long time ago. His sunburst Schecter ‘Strat’ (which he played on Tunnel of Love and Telegraph Road) was sold at the 2004 Eric Clapton Crossroads Auction. I’d love to know if he still owns the Red Schecter Strat, as that was the main Alchemy guitar and was used at Live Aid.
  • Yorkie said:
    He had two red Strats in the early days; a red ‘61 with a rosewood board which he still owns - and one with a maple board which John Suhr believed might have been a copy. That was the one he played a lot on early TV appearances- I believe it went a long time ago. His sunburst Schecter ‘Strat’ (which he played on Tunnel of Love and Telegraph Road) was sold at the 2004 Eric Clapton Crossroads Auction. I’d love to know if he still owns the Red Schecter Strat, as that was the main Alchemy guitar and was used at Live Aid.
    He still owned the red Schecter as recently as 2007, by the looks of it: https://www.mk-guitar.com/mark-knopfler-gear-database/schecter-dream-machine-red-1980/
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    People are insane - the prototype red Strat (OK, that's a one off) went for £90k - but the bog standard off the shelf signatures just sold for £85k & £100k.  Talk about more money than sense!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20601
    Voxman said:
    LPManic said:
    Will any go for six figures?
    Nah - all the big ticket stuff has gone - unsurprisingly the '59 LP was the most expensive. 
    It wasn’t. The prehistoric sold for more.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom