PRS owning tossers........

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Gibson should really be taking all the "dentist guitar brand" flak these days. How much were those pickups in a silly little hardcase again? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    Whitecat said:
    I've got a Starla and had very much the same experience. It’s the opposite of what most people seem to want in a PRS but it’s bloody awesome. 
    That’s my absolute favourite PRS model of all time! The Core version is sorely missed, such a nice guitar and an absolute tone monster…
    I'd certainly miss mine if it were gone  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 388
    Still love Gibson, Fender & Gretsch but the DGT specs most definitely opened my mind to this brand. :-)
    https://i.imgur.com/BllDlAE.jpg

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I'm not a fan of the birds, although they do look OK on some models - generally ones that are more flashy than I would want in other ways too, although I wouldn't totally rule out owning one with them. So far I've owned six PRSs, and not one bird... five with moons (probably my favourite inlay ever) and one with dots, which is the one I still have. I prefer the less-fancy models, although I've owned a Custom 22 with a flame top and a Hollowbody I with a more subtle one. Currently I have a Swamp Ash Special, which obviously has a simple ash body.

I very stupidly sold my favourite Standard 22 when I hasn't using it for some time and got the odd idea in my head that they weren't cool any more, then almost immediately regretted it and have been looking for it, or an identical substitute, ever since... so if anyone knows where there's a Trans Purple 2002 Standard 22 (last seen with a Hipshot Trem-Setter in the back and Duncan pickups) please let me know...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 467
    edited February 4

In over 30 years of playing, PRS have never appealed to me. That was nothing to do with the dentist/flossers attitude towards PRS players - which I don't really get? If it's about people who can't really play having top end guitars then that's never been exclusive to PRS, and if it's about the price of them, then nowadays it seems that most high end guitars are bloody expensive regardless of brand. I simply never saw them as my cup of tea.

Anyway, last year a DGT came up for trade on here and I thought why not? Convinced I wouldn't like it, I met the guy expecting to go home with the Suhr Modern I was offering up as a trade, but the neck on the PRS felt really good and the guitar was very resonant. Knowing how well they sell I decided to take a punt on it as I could easily move it on....When I got home and plugged it in it took all of a minute for me to decide it was staying. So many sounds in there, the best coil split tones and bullet proof tuning stability - a joy to play. 9 Months later I've played it at every gig and if I could only have 1 guitar it would definitely be a contender. Only thing I'd possibly change is the finish, it isn't too shouty, but I much prefer the more subdued look of the Tremonti charcoal bursts. I do like the birds though.

So, no I didn't want one either, but now I've got one I wouldn't want to be without it
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited February 5
    I've had a 1989 CU24, an EGII and 2 Core DGTs (see pic) but they've all gone.

My current PRS squeezes are a PRS Fiore and SE DGT Goldtop. Both different and both great workhorses but the Fiore is my No/1 go-to guitar at the moment. It's so versatile and great-sounding and the perfect PRS for a Superstrat guy. My only other electric is a wonderful Rob Williams Superstrat that's been Tom Anderson-ised and Tyler-ised.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7430
    You called?

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    IMG_8594.jpeg 321.6K
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edited February 4
    TTBZ said:
    Gibson should really be taking all the "dentist guitar brand" flak these days. How much were those pickups in a silly little hardcase again? 
    It's not an exclusive title - if it was, I daresay they'd be suing one another over who could claim it.

Either way, it's fairly obvious from the amount of both brands you see kicking about with not so much as a paint rub on them, that they are frequently mid-life crisis guitars which will never see a gig unless it takes place in the living room.

But. As ever, play and own what you like, and if you like a particular guitar and others do not, that's not even their problem, let alone yours.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4507
    edited February 4
    TimmyO said:
    I’ve owned my DGT for quite a long time now (and bought it used) and I STILL worry about my main/preferred guitar being one that is generally perceived as a showy/tosser guitar - the one I’d be most self-conscious about turning up to a jam night with - odd how the brain works 

Yes it is odd, especially given that you'd be pretty much guaranteed to be one of the better or the best player at any given jam night and most of the people who are so sniffy about other people's gear are gurning blooze cosplayers or keyboard warriors who can't play for shit
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 866
    edited February 4
    I played Les Pauls for years, had a custom shop 56, 57, 58 and 59 but keeping them in tune just pissed me off so much I bought a PRS core Singlecut. It stayed in tune and played amazingly but I found it just lacked something for me. I stupidly sold it. It was a blackburst. I’ve never seen another since. If I had known what the problem was back then I’d still have it. I find the pickups uninspiring. Twenty years later. I own 9 PRS guitars at the moment which include core and SE models. I have gigged all but three of them. Only two have the original pickups. One because I’ve just recently snagged it and the other coz it’s an acoustic which I have left alone. The third is another story in its entirety! I don’t really care how they look, the most important thing for me is how they play then I can change out the pickups to make it sound how I want it to. If I can’t, I’ll sell it on. The build quality is superb, ‘SE range too’ they are consistent as regards neck and profile and they stay in tune. Birds, no birds I don’t care. As quite a few people have said- you don’t see them when you are playing them and I don’t worry what other people think about the snobbery attached to them. Crikey if birds are too shouty then gawd knows what people think about the explorers and V’s I’ve gigged over the years! Lol! Life is too short to worry about that kinda stuff!
    I do agree with Lewy’s post above though, hence the LOL!
    Oh and I’ve not tried a DGT…….yet!
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    Dunno why people bag on PRS’ to be fair. Have never understood it. They’re generally great guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
    I may disagree with business practices, attitudes, pricing… whatever it is, it’s never the guitars’ fault. 

I’ll play whatever falls in my hands. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    I have absolutely no time for overly flamey and ornate PRSs in garish colours.
    This one has been well gigged, despite reputations for PRS guitars staying on walls.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rhfre1cdxf5lvzuoancv7/A1BEA268-7AE6-45E8-AAF1-8460F25ED523.jpeg?rlkey=qssb7lfbe0e6hccl6mkconatd&raw=1
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1072
    Guilty - I dont really get all the hate if I'm on a stage I'm kinda there to be noticed, that is after all the whole point FFS! McCarty's and 594's in the main:

If its got a rosewood neck so much the better!
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 1018
    edited February 4
    I had 2 guitars, both PRS. Thought I needed some variety so sold one and have since tried half a dozen other manufacturers. The latest, a Cream T Aurora, is the best of the alternatives.....And has just been traded for another PRS. 
    Don't think I could ever sell the McRosie....
    https://i.imgur.com/CDTwHzh.jpg
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Welcome to the PRS Owning Tossers' Club.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1065
    I’ve never owned a PRS, but really like the look of the DGT, McCarty 594, 594 & Studio models. 

The S2 McCarty 594 & Studio versions of these look really good, but I’m not drawn to many of the standard colour options. They just seem a bit bland.

I know I’m in the minority but I don’t mind the birds tbh.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    Why is it that when they do a Blacktop finish DGT, they don’t do the plain-edge binding thing and just transition from black to natural? 

I’m pretty sure that’s the thing that would be most likely to push me over the edge… 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    Guilty - I dont really get all the hate if I'm on a stage I'm kinda there to be noticed, that is after all the whole point FFS! McCarty's and 594's in the main:

If its got a rosewood neck so much the better!
    I want that right McC!!! :love: