PRS owning tossers........

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4286

Why is it that when they do a Blacktop finish DGT, they don’t do the plain-edge binding thing and just transition from black to natural? 

I’m pretty sure that’s the thing that would be most likely to push me over the edge… 
    You realise that they’re nitro-finished* right, so easy enough to send across to @lamf68 for a refin ;)

*well, mostly - there was a small run of V12 ones at one point, but otherwise all nitro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 474
    Just never found one that moved me. Sorta like the Honda of the guitar world. Engineering is excellent. All round capable but somehow not as interesting as a Suzuki or a Kawasaki.

Maybe if I try a few dozen more.....
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 440
    I’ve never really liked them not a fan of fancy inlays or wood, but also want a Mira.  My friend a really old one, not sure what it is, but I refer to it as ‘the coffee table’.  
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14945
    tFB Trader
    I've probably been a tosser now for over 34 years - The two that I own and play the most are around 20 years old now - The number one issue for me during all this time, as a tosser, is how well they play - IMO, if it don't feel right and play right it has no/little purpose
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24004
    I’ve never really liked them not a fan of fancy inlays or wood, but also want a Mira.  My friend a really old one, not sure what it is, but I refer to it as ‘the coffee table’.  
    Is it brown?
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it brown?
    My friend’s?  From memory I think it is or burgundy-ish.  I know little about PRS guitars. 

He doesn’t bring out anymore, I’ve not seen it in years.  I think he’s looking to sell at some point.  Most likely, the constant ribbing about french polishing and does he take the classic jaguar car book and photograph of Charles and Diana off the guitar when gigging wore thin. 
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it brown?
    My friend’s?  From memory I think it is or burgundy-ish.  I know little about PRS guitars. 

He doesn’t bring out anymore, I’ve not seen it in years.  I think he’s looking to sell at some point.  Most likely, the constant ribbing about french polishing and does he take the classic jaguar car book and photograph of Charles and Diana off the guitar when gigging wore thin. 
    If he's bothered about a Mira being too blingy then I don't think PRS is for him....  they don't even have maple tops (actually there was a small run of Mira Mapletops, but you rarely see them).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it brown?

If he's bothered about a Mira being too blingy then I don't think PRS is for him....  they don't even have maple tops (actually there was a small run of Mira Mapletops, but you rarely see them).
    Vaguely recall a story when Steve Craddock was working with Paul Weller that PW made him put gaffe tape over the headstock to hide the logo 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7838
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it brown?

Maybe he kept the guitar and changed his friends? 
    Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it brown?

Ah, sorry.  It’s me that has an eye on the Mira.  I’ve never been a big fan of Gibson type guitars.  I had a disastrous encounter with a Les Paul once.  For some reason, the Mira is really eye-catching for me. 
    edited February 5
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it brown?

Vaguely recall a story when Steve Craddock was working with Paul Weller that PW made him put gaffe tape over the headstock to hide the logo 
    Weller's a dick.  Thinking back to that period, he should've put gaffer tape over his own stupid haircut.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, sorry.  It’s me that has an eye on the Mira.  I’ve never been a big fan of Gibson type guitars.  I had a disastrous encounter with a Les Paul once.  For some reason, the Mira is really eye-catching for me. 
    Good choice sir. :)
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it brown?

Weller's a dick.  Thinking back to that period, he should've put gaffer tape over his own stupid haircut.
    Glad you said that and I was thinking it could go over his mouth 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1053
    Why is it that when they do a Blacktop finish DGT, they don’t do the plain-edge binding thing and just transition from black to natural? 

I’m pretty sure that’s the thing that would be most likely to push me over the edge… 
    With you on that - I dont get why all the black top ones get black backed, why cover all that nice wood?

I want that right McC!!! :love: 

Yeah good is it not :) There were only three of those made with that private stock top and Brazilian rosewood necks by Mr Knaggs when he was at PRS. It’s very special guitar all right!

With you on that - I dont get why all the black top ones get black backed, why cover all that nice wood?
    I've got a black McCarty with a black back, but it does have the exposed maple edge "binding".  Or were you saying that's what they also do on the black DGTs?  I do wonder if they use uglier bits of wood for the solid-colour ones, but it's PRS, I'm sure it would still be quality timber.
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 355

You realise that they’re nitro-finished* right, so easy enough to send across to @lamf68 for a refin ;)

*well, mostly - there was a small run of V12 ones at one point, but otherwise all nitro.
    I thought only the early ones were nitro, then it was standard finish from 2011 or so until PRS introduced that CAB finish in 2020 (or whatever it’s called)?
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it brown?

As usual, its a story thats not true, but people tell as they think thats what hes like, when in reality hes places his fair share of monstrosities too.

Steves selling his currently Steve Cradock / Ocean Colour Scene Owned PRS Mira Guitar - Paul Weller-Specials | eBay

TimmyO said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it brown?

Maybe he kept the guitar and changed his friends? 
    Not at all, you should hear what he says about mine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Why is it that when they do a Blacktop finish DGT, they don’t do the plain-edge binding thing and just transition from black to natural? 

So that you can't see the ugly-assed cavity covers!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3082
    I'd fancied a Goldtop DGT for a while, and last year I picked up a DGT SE - I figured I'd be able to flip it without much loss if I didn't like it,.

I can't fault it, but find it a bit soulless. It's competent but not exciting. It's a great guitar for rehearsals as it's very versatile, but I think I'll be taking my LP-295 / SA-2000 / Tele / Strat (dependent on material) to gigs.