PRS owning tossers........

What's Hot

Comments

• Why is it that when they do a Blacktop finish DGT, they don’t do the plain-edge binding thing and just transition from black to natural? 

I’m pretty sure that’s the thing that would be most likely to push me over the edge… 
    With you on that - I dont get why all the black top ones get black backed, why cover all that nice wood?
    So that you can't see the ugly-assed cavity covers!
    I should add that I do have a black-backed DGT (not just having a snipe) ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 908
    edited February 5
    I've always had a thing for the old standard satin singlecut since seeing one on the front of a guitar mag when I was younger. 

I don't know anything about prs or they're models, think that's what they're called. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14024
    I think the favorite PRS I have owned has been the Modern Eagle 1 I bitterly regret selling, plus a single-cut satin soapbar was really nice sounding

• Why is it that when they do a Blacktop finish DGT, they don’t do the plain-edge binding thing and just transition from black to natural? 

I’m pretty sure that’s the thing that would be most likely to push me over the edge… 
    You realise that they’re nitro-finished* right, so easy enough to send across to @lamf68 for a refin ;)

*well, mostly - there was a small run of V12 ones at one point, but otherwise all nitro.
    I thought only the early ones were nitro, then it was standard finish from 2011 or so until PRS introduced that CAB finish in 2020 (or whatever it’s called)?
    Yup, that’s correct! Not sure if the early ones are full nitro either, the tag they came with said special nitro topcoat iirc.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14945
    tFB Trader
    Kurtis said:
    I've always had a thing for the old standard satin singlecut since seeing one on the front of a guitar mag when I was younger. 

I don't know anything about prs or they're models, think that's what they're called. 
    That is about it - PRS Singlecut Standard Satin - thin nitro finish - all mahogany - no trimmings (think they had bird inlays) but the same build quality etc so not a 'cheap man's PRS' - Just a stripped down basic version - ie no colour coded wing mirrors or bumpers, no alloy wheels and no go faster strips 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 908
    edited February 5
    Kurtis said:

That is about it - PRS Singlecut Standard Satin - thin nitro finish - all mahogany - no trimmings (think they had bird inlays) but the same build quality etc so not a 'cheap man's PRS' - Just a stripped down basic version - ie no colour coded wing mirrors or bumpers, no alloy wheels and no go faster strips 
    Ta.

I think the birds look good on it because it's so stripped back.

P90 might be nice too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24004
    Kurtis said:

I had one for a while, but it turned up with some scratches, so I got in a strop and returned it.  I should've just negotiated a discount.  One thing which was cool about those, they had a single volume and tone, not 2V, 2T like most Singlecuts.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73359
    Philly_Q said:

One thing which was cool about those, they had a single volume and tone, not 2V, 2T like most Singlecuts.
    This is one of the things I like most about most PRS guitars - one volume, one tone, one switch.

FWIW I seem to be one of the few PRS fans who doesn't like the DGT, exactly for that reason (and the thicker body) - the third knob gets in the way, complicates the functionality and looks wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

One thing which was cool about those, they had a single volume and tone, not 2V, 2T like most Singlecuts.
    This is one of the things I like most about most PRS guitars - one volume, one tone, one switch.

FWIW I seem to be one of the few PRS fans who doesn't like the DGT, exactly for that reason (and the thicker body) - the third knob gets in the way, complicates the functionality and looks wrong.
    I've never tried a DGT.  The thicker body wouldn't bother me, the McCarty has that and I barely notice the difference, but I wouldn't want the second volume and I've always thought it looks a bit odd with the three knobs.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 850
    snowblind said:
    Just never found one that moved me. Sorta like the Honda of the guitar world. Engineering is excellent. All round capable but somehow not as interesting as a Suzuki or a Kawasaki.

Maybe if I try a few dozen more.....
    Wrong! Suzuki or a Kawasaki or a Yamaha. :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17997
    edited February 5 tFB Trader
    I've said this many times. 

I bought a gold top DGT about ten years ago and I've pretty much had no interest in anything else since. 
    It was bought as a working guitar has been gigged and bashed hundreds of times and I can't think of a better tool for that purpose.

I've flipped 2-3 guitars since then just for LOLs, but GAS has essentially been dead from that point onward.

I would say they are one of the brands which like Ibanez are completely committed to reliability and excellence of playability and sound quality which is probably why they are uncool unlike Gibson who seem almost entirely focussed on rehashing the past at greater and greater cost.

I'm more interested in a brand which try and learn from the past to push the game forward rather than assuming guitars peaked in 1958 and all we can hope for is ever more slavish reproductions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

If he's bothered about a Mira being too blingy then I don't think PRS is for him....  they don't even have maple tops (actually there was a small run of Mira Mapletops, but you rarely see them).
    I have a Mira with a maple top. Very nice too! :)
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9670
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Nope, don’t like DGTs either.
    Dont think the coil splits are as good as others (like on the Paul’s) and the pickups are too dark sounding for me. It’s not as good as a 594
    I have a 594 that I don’t like :(
    edited February 5

If he's bothered about a Mira being too blingy then I don't think PRS is for him....  they don't even have maple tops (actually there was a small run of Mira Mapletops, but you rarely see them).
    I have a Mira with a maple top. Very nice too!
    Cool.  I've owned most versions of the Mira, but never a Mapletop, or the 25th Anniversary model with P-90s.
    edited February 5
    Philly_Q said:

I have a Mira with a maple top. Very nice too!
    Cool.  I've owned most versions of the Mira, but never a Mapletop, or the 25th Anniversary model with P-90s.
    I had a burgundy Core a good few years ago and was sorry that I sold it so I was happy to snag this one very recently on here actually.
    Not my photo- my camera phone can’t seem to get he colour right! (Thanks to Dr C!)
    https://i.imgur.com/i9189Bz.jpeg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1053
    Why is it that when they do a Blacktop finish DGT, they don’t do the plain-edge binding thing and just transition from black to natural? 

With you on that - I dont get why all the black top ones get black backed, why cover all that nice wood?
    lol that might be it! :) Shame, waste of nice wood under that black paint (I'm assuming!).

chris78 said:
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Nope, don’t like DGTs either.
    Dont think the coil splits are as good as others (like on the Paul’s) and the pickups are too dark sounding for me. It’s not as good as a 594
    Yeah, not a fan of the DGT either - dont like trems - love the 594 and McCarty - DGT just didnt do it for me!
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 237
    @rockmonster

So nice!

had a burgundy Core a good few years ago and was sorry that I sold it so I was happy to snag this one very recently on here actually.
    Not my photo- my camera phone can’t seem to get he colour right! (Thanks to Dr C!)
    @rockmonster

So nice!

had a burgundy Core a good few years ago and was sorry that I sold it so I was happy to snag this one very recently on here actually.
    Fanku!

lol that might be it! :) Shame, waste of nice wood under that black paint (I'm assuming!).
    It shall remain a mystery like the question of how many pieces my 2012 R9 fingerboard is made from ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom