Waste site parochialism

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
My regular dump is getting really picky - county residents only. I live a couple miles over the county border but have been using that site for decades.

Hi viz jobswoth on the gate said we weren't allowed, so we drove round the loop (emptying our garden waste in the appropriate bin on the way) .... all hell breaks loose with HiViz jobsworths everywhere, say they've taken car reg and reporting it to (their) council :/
They weren't busy ... there was only 1 car on the site.

Hey ho ! Hopefully we just get a snotty letter or something, possibly a fixed penalty is the worst they can dream up.
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31905
    I thought the thread title was a new prog metal band...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    How can they tell which county you are from?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3447
    If there are fixed penalty notices for going to the wrong tip this country really is finished! :)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12491
    We have to book an appointment in advance to use ours, you can’t just turn up. Where we used to live they’d want to see physical ID/proof of address before they’d let you in. 

On the plus side our council is soon going to stop charging for dropping off diy waste. The penny has finally dropped that people were flytipping it instead and it was costing the council a lot to clear it up every time. I still don’t understand why nobody ever considered this would happen, it’s not exactly genius-level thinking. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    edited February 5
    Chalky said:
    How can they tell which county you are from?
    Accent. 
    Be careful if they wish you, "Good luck."
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19321
    You said it all. HiViz jobsworths & gatekeepers.
    Having said that, I have tried to have grown up conversations with similar individuals many times, but to little avail.
    Change the uniform & leave the "I was only obeying orders" defence & we haven't 
    really grown as human beings very much.

Similarly I found out recently that 'Pets at Home' are taking part in a recycling initiative that will enable previously non-recyclable metallised plastics that pet food pouches are made of. Great idea.
    https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/promotions/recycle
    I fully anticipate an encounter with a helpful jobsworth gatekeeper to stop me doing the right thing for some reason to do with 'the wrong plastic' like they are materials scientists & not working in a pet shop (nothing wrong with that as a job at all).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvansDrDEvansDrD Frets: 109
    I love the phrase ‘hi viz jobsworth’ 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29056
    Our local community recycling centre is for locals only . I think it started in the pandemic when other counties' closed theirs, and ours was overrun with dirty incomers.

They're jolly friendly and helpful though, and appointments are easily booked. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2846
    Our hi viz waste chaps are really helpful

its cos each council has a different waste strategy and how much money they spend on it.  They don’t want argumentative people who pay their council tax elsewhere to be using their expensive paid for waste streams ;)
     except it’s true!  
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15785
    my understanding is there was a recipricol arrangement twixt Bucks and Herts that is no longer in place, hence the Aston Clinton tip charging peeps from Herts. Sucks if you're the wrong side of the border I guess.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16339
    The recycling centre three miles from my house is in another county and I don’t have a permit to use it. The one I have to use is eight miles away, so not great for the green credentials of calling it a recycling centre maybe. 

I have to book a slot, a system brought in after covid. I’m fairly sure you could cheat the system, put in any valid address in the borough when you book (I can’t imagine that there’s a great amount of this occurring). Although  occasionally inconvenient to have to book  it does mean there are no longer queues of thirty cars on a Sunday afternoon so I think it’s fine. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12520
    I love the booking system, used to have to queue for over an hour for the tip.  

Anyone found to be not from our county is murdered and ends up on the landfill with their car allegedly. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:

Anyone found to be not from our county is murdered and ends up on the landfill with their car allegedly. 
    Same here, except they strip the car and put each bit in the right section. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19321
    edited February 5

Are you local  Stickers by Ommik  Redbubble
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12520
    Sporky said:
    munckee said:

Same here, except they strip the car and put each bit in the right section. 
    That’s because you’re in Surrey!
    How very dare you! It's those demmed Surreyites who flooded our fine recycling centres.

I moved to Hampshire two years ago. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    The stupidity of making responsible waste disposal difficult and then having to pay large amounts of money to clear up the patently obvious result of fly-tipping - now being done by organised criminals as well as individuals - really does take some difficulty believing, but it's the case almost everywhere now.

The jobsworths at mine aren't too bad, although I did have a run-in with one for putting an amp transformer in the metal skip... "That goes in electricals" he said. I explained politely that a transformer is at least 90% steel and copper, proportionately about the same metal content as a bicycle, of which there were several in the container already. "No, it's got wires, it's electrical." So next time I simply clipped all visible wires off as close to the transformer body as possible, and he was happy :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27881
    VimFuego said:
    my understanding is there was a recipricol arrangement twixt Bucks and Herts that is no longer in place, hence the Aston Clinton tip charging peeps from Herts. 
    In 200 years time, historians will identify the "Aston Clinton Incident" as the spark that ignited the infamous Bucks / Herts war. 

It ended when the UN peacekeepers stepped in and the natives finally decided to amalgamate into the new county of Bertshire (that name being preferred to Huckshire by an overwhelming 52%/48% referendum majority).

Future history lesson brought to you courtesy of @Sporky 's time machine.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dang it - now I know I have to finish the blasted thing. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27881
    Sporky said:
    Dang it - now I know I have to finish the blasted thing. 
    You finished it in 2 years time.

But v2 was much more reliable.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.