Waste site parochialism

What's Hot

Comments

• I used to work next door to Chester (so cheshire council) but live just over county border in Merseyside and I had same issue. My 'local' site was 30 min drive, but jobsworth gonna jobsworth
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    CHRISB50 said:
    Chalky said:
    How can they tell which county you are from?
    They ask for proof of address.
    Thanks for the education. Just checked and our tip has just introduced the booking system!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    bertie said:
    Jalapeno said:
    My regular dump is getting really picky - county residents only. I live a couple miles over the county border but have been using that site for decades.

Hi viz jobswoth on the gate said we weren't allowed, so we drove round the loop (emptying our garden waste in the appropriate bin on the way) .... all hell breaks loose with HiViz jobsworths everywhere, say they've taken car reg and reporting it to (their) council
    They weren't busy ... there was only 1 car on the site.

Hey ho ! Hopefully we just get a snotty letter or something, possibly a fixed penalty is the worst they can dream up.

you have to register online here,  if your car reg aint in the system, you dont get in.  End of.
    Makes sense, they've got a proper brick-built kiosk where you could loop around if denied entry, but they allow you in and you only get checked (from a tatty shed) inside the one-way loop.  We had to drive past the garden waste skip and were severly tempted ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited February 6
    Jalapeno said:

Makes sense, they've got a proper brick-built kiosk where you could loop around if denied entry, but they allow you in and you only get checked (from a tatty shed) inside the one-way loop.  We had to drive past the garden waste skip and were severly tempted

our lot have got great big LED display panel with ANPR  and flashes up if you're allowed in or not  - so someone from outside the area could effectively load up my car and use it
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 599
    boogieman said:
    On the plus side our council is soon going to stop charging for dropping off diy waste.
    Ours recently introduced a new system where you can drop off a limited amount of DIY waste for free, but you have to apply online for a permit (one permit per week per household). Which led to Mr W and myself playing a 'fun' game of "would this old laminate flooring fit in a bath tub?" the other week (the bath tub being an approximate measurement of the quantity of waste the council will accept). Arriving at the dump with our QR code permit, hi viz man shrugged and said the system wasn't set up for him to scan the permits yet, but I'm sure it will eventually be the envy of councils nationwide. 
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3351
    edited February 6
    I'm in the sector albeit I take care of a private transfer station just for local council workers to tip at (housing, parks, fly tipped and street cleaning waste)

The rules and regs, paperwork and hoops that have to be jumped through now all enforced by Gov is a nightmare.

One of the latest ones, POPs (persistent organic pollutants) basically sofas, now cannot be reused, recycled or put on landfill and have to be separated and incinerated. It's hammering budgets.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27881
    bertie said:

so someone from outside the area could effectively load up my car and use it
    So you buy a manky old estate (vans being “commercial”) for £250, make sure it’s registered to your home address, and offer a £25/trip service to all those Johnny-foreigners needing access to a dump …
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The booking system is loads better. No more queuing - you're in and out in minutes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I was heading out to our (not very) local recycling centre, with an old fridge and and old freezer in the boot, and this thread came to mind.

I'd not booked.  And I had no proof of residence/address.
    :(

Got there, asked a hi-viz man where I should put the stuff to which he replied ...

"over there in that container please, I'll come over and give you a hand".  Which he did. 

2 mins later, the old appliances are stacked neatly in the container and I'm on my way.

:+1:
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    Jobsworth, jobsworth, it's more than my job's worth 
    I don't care, rain or snow,
    Whatever you want...the answer's no
    I could keep you standing for hours in the queue 
    And if you don't like it
    You know what you can do
    I saw Jeremy Taylor live a fair few years ago. Very, very funny!! 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12077
    Shortly after one Christmas, I took all the cardboard from Amazon to our tip, where they asked me "do you have anything with your address on it?"

I said "yes, it's printed on everything in the back of the car"
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12520
    TTony said:
    I was heading out to our (not very) local recycling centre, with an old fridge and and old freezer in the boot, and this thread came to mind.

Got there, asked a hi-viz man where I should put the stuff to which he replied ...

"over there in that container please, I'll come over and give you a hand".  Which he did. 

2 mins later, the old appliances are stacked neatly in the container and I'm on my way.

Course that's what happened, pull the other one!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11509
    The booking system is loads better. No more queuing - you're in and out in minutes. 

Have to disagree.  It's utter stupidity.

You can't get a slot when you want one, and running the IT system for it is another expense that comes out of our council tax.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    Only fools go to the local tip
     The Smart money goes to  the Local Car Boot sale ..........those savages will buy any old shit for 2p
     No waiting .....they'll be chasing your car as you drive in
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11509
    Dominic said:
     The Smart money goes to  the Local Car Boot sale ..........those savages will buy any old shit for 2p
     No waiting .....they'll be chasing your car as you drive in

It works if you sell it for 2p.  My mother in law tries to get a fiver for it so most of it comes home again, and my wife has to take it to the tip - only we will probably have to unload it from the car because there is no slot available on their stupid system.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22543
    Dominic said:

I think you're confusing 'savages' with the Nottingham Forest transfer policy over the last two seasons. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24624
    Does anyone's tip let you take stuff?  Every time I go to ours, I lust after the contents of the "small electrical appliances" container because it's usually at least half full of perfectly good or repairable items.  Unfortunately, my council has a policy of not allowing anyone to take anything.  They have their own shop and sell anything that still works and passes a PAT test.  They don't attempt to repair AFAIK.  Such a waste of perfectly serviceable gear.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Emp_Fab said:
    Does anyone's tip let you take stuff?  Every time I go to ours, I lust after the contents of the "small electrical appliances" container 
    Just get Hercules out with the cart again, and cut out the middle man.

• ewalewal Frets: 2633
    TTony said:

Thanks for restoring a bit of balance to the thread. I find the people who work in customer facing roles from the council are usually helpful. Obviously they've been given rules to follow and that's fine.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24796
    I haven't been to our local one for years. Out of curiosity I had a look online and discovered they ANPR the number plate and then set restrictions on the number of visits per month for domestic car & waste, with a smaller number of allowed visits for larger vehicles.

No booking system. 

I WANT TO BUY:
    Fairfield "The Accountant" Compressor Pedal.