Waste site parochialism

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12491
    Emp_Fab said:
    Does anyone's tip let you take stuff?  Every time I go to ours, I lust after the contents of the "small electrical appliances" container because it's usually at least half full of perfectly good or repairable items.  Unfortunately, my council has a policy of not allowing anyone to take anything.  They have their own shop and sell anything that still works and passes a PAT test.  They don't attempt to repair AFAIK.  Such a waste of perfectly serviceable gear.
    Not allowed at ours. I presume it’s a legal obligation on the council’s part, so punters don’t just take untested things, plug them in and kill themselves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7673
    edited June 14
    The booking system is loads better. No more queuing - you're in and out in minutes. 
    There apparently is a booking system at my local one where they let three cars in at a time with a 15 minute time slot.  The problem is that they don't have a sign up that's visible to the drivers of cars queuing to tell them they should have booked, and they don't have a member of staff walking up and down the queue telling people.  The only sign they have is on the gates and when they are opened inwards you only see them AS you are driving in.  The cars end up queued back for about a quarter of a mile at weekends causing an obstruction to other motorists.  They wait until the cars are inside the gate before checking the booking and asking them to leave.  It's the chaos inside while people try to turn their cars around and leave, and the lengthy delays are causing those that have booked to miss their booking slot.  It's a really well oiled and streamlined operation and whoever runs it should be promoted immediately for doing such a fantastic job.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 630
    edited June 14
    Yeah if they just let people take things they will be leaving themselves open to legal action when the inevitable happens.

Yes, Customer Facing roles, the least well paid and worst treated of anyone in any organisation but these are the ones who are left dealing with the ire of the customer. The CEO won't be giving a monkeys about your "experience". And yes the rules are to be followed as if they are not then disciplinaries follow and you become the scapegoat avoiding any blame heading up the chain.

I see it a lot where the public expect so much from the front line employees but, hey ho.