Waste site parochialism

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15786
    TTony said:
    VimFuego said:
    my understanding is there was a recipricol arrangement twixt Bucks and Herts that is no longer in place, hence the Aston Clinton tip charging peeps from Herts. 
    In 200 years time, historians will identify the "Aston Clinton Incident" as the spark that ignited the infamous Bucks / Herts war. 

It ended when the UN peacekeepers stepped in and the natives finally decided to amalgamate into the new county of Bertshire (that name being preferred to Huckshire by an overwhelming 52%/48% referendum majority).

Future history lesson brought to you courtesy of @Sporky 's time machine.
    it's only our shared hatred of those who live in Beds and have an LU postcode that stops us from killing each other.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1944
    The local recycling centre just 500m from my house was closed a week ago, the council saying anything recyclable in household quantities can be done via the kerbside collections. Otherwise drive to the tip.
    I can't see this ending well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 801
    edited February 5
    Sporky said:
    munckee said:

Anyone found to be not from our county is murdered and ends up on the landfill with their car allegedly. 
    Same here, except they strip the car and put each bit in the right section. 
    And then throw it in landfill. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12520
    TTony said:
    VimFuego said:
    my understanding is there was a recipricol arrangement twixt Bucks and Herts that is no longer in place, hence the Aston Clinton tip charging peeps from Herts. 
    In 200 years time, historians will identify the "Aston Clinton Incident" as the spark that ignited the infamous Bucks / Herts war. 

It ended when the UN peacekeepers stepped in and the natives finally decided to amalgamate into the new county of Bertshire (that name being preferred to Huckshire by an overwhelming 52%/48% referendum majority).

Future history lesson brought to you courtesy of @Sporky 's time machine.
    The 48% would never accept it apparently…
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7915

Could you not slip the guy 50p?

That ought to make any council worker's eyes light up.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    No booking here (a remote outpost of Wigan), but you have to show your driving license to prove you're a council tax payer.  The hi-viz folk are pretty helpful, too.

I'm against wasting parochialism anywhere. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3261
    They're really trying their best to address the issue of fly tipping with stupid petty rules like these.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11414
    At my local tip they are like rottweilers.

If you hire a man and van to shift something they consider that to be commercial waste disposal and won't let you in.

One day someone in possession of the local authority's brain cell is going to discover a link between this policy and the amount of fly-tipping that goes on. 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2397
    Luckily fly-tipping is allowed in most places.

There are very few places where there are signs up telling you you can't fly tip there. The inference must be that you can fly-tip where it doesn't tell you that you can't....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9974
    Jobsworth, jobsworth, it's more than my job's worth 
    I don't care, rain or snow,
    Whatever you want...the answer's no
    I could keep you standing for hours in the queue 
    And if you don't like it
    You know what you can do
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4371
    Chalky said:
    How can they tell which county you are from?
    They ask for proof of address.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8089
    Mine local refuse centre is very good. they charge for building rubble, but that’s the only issue.  Cost me a few quid to get rid of an old loo and sink. I feel this encourages fly tipping. 

Other than that, very good. Good people, and nice recycling shop.   
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4867
    The local tip in Christchurch asks people driving in to show photo id with an address on. The reason they restrict access to residents-only is it's the local council tax that pays to run it, so they believe only those who pay for it should get to use it. It's free for domestic users apart from rubble. Commercial users have to pay (no idea how much). I agree with @TheMarlin that it probably results in more fly tipping. 

We're only 2 miles from the Hampshire border and 2 miles from the rest of Dorset (the tip is run by BCP - the unitary council that manages Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole - the rest of Dorset is Dorset CC), who are also not allowed to use it. 

As many of the people in Christchurch also believe "we should look after our own people first" on so many levels and topics, it's not an unpopular policy. We're "taking back control". Apparently... 
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 331

Similarly I found out recently that 'Pets at Home' are taking part in a recycling initiative that will enable previously non-recyclable metallised plastics that pet food pouches are made of. Great idea.
    https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/promotions/recycle
    I thought you were going to say they recycled old pets…
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    VimFuego said:
    my understanding is there was a recipricol arrangement twixt Bucks and Herts that is no longer in place, hence the Aston Clinton tip charging peeps from Herts. Sucks if you're the wrong side of the border I guess.
    Spot. On.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ALRALR Frets: 134
    A point about the 'Hi-Viz Jobsworths'

As part of my job I'm occasionally required to work on large sporting events to set-up and maintain equipment. On one occasion recently, I entered the stadium about an hour before the event was due to start and the crowd were already filling the seats. As I walked in, one of the stewards checked my accreditation - no big surprise there.

I went to check on something probably about 50 metres away form where the steward was stood, in their full view and once it was done turned around to leave the stadium. As I was leaving, the steward stopped me once more on the way out and said ' I need to check your pass again'.

Of course, this is ridiculous. Not only had it been checked just 60 seconds prior and I'd never left the stewards sight, but I was leaving the stadium and therefore if it had come to light that I shouldn't have been in there, the steward would immediately have had me leave the stadium, which I was doing anyway. Furthermore, a discovery at this stage that my accreditation was invalid by the very person who'd let me into the stadium would have been an indictment on their competence, necessitating the report of a security breach and almost certainly disciplinary action for them. I know it, you know it, the steward knew it.

So why was I not angry at the steward, and why did I just politely let them check me a second time before I left?

The answer is almost certainly that there was some sort of senior steward watching what was happening, either unnoticed a few metres away or possibly on a security camera who has decreed that passes must be checked at all opportunities. Whenever someone passes. It only takes one egocentric misanthrope in a senior position to seize upon an opportunity to punish a minor infraction of the rules, bolstering their own authority and sending a message to the rest of the people on the ground that they too could lose their jobs if instructions are not carried out to the letter. Therefore, the 'Hi-Viz Jobsworths' cannot exercise any kind of discretion in that situation.

Let's not forget that these people - stewards in my case, recycling centre attendants in yours - are often on the very lowest rungs of the employment ladder, likely wouldn't choose to be doing a job like that and are probably just happy they are employed. If faced with he choice of exercising discretion and possible disciplinary action versus carrying out your duties to the letter in the knowledge that no matter how angry you make someone you can tell your line management you were following their rules completely, what would you choose?

tl:dr The people who actually make these rules are not someone you will ever see or meet. They would never deign to talk to you directly. They are sitting in an office miles away, with no connection to the situation you find yourself in. They make their decisions based on their limited experience, supposition. They will never take feedback from the customer facing staff, and the only involvement they will probably have with them is a supporting email to their disciplinary proceedings if the rules haven't been followed exactly. You should not blame or become angry with the poor people who have to do their bidding.
    mhep mhep mhep!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    We all need to make less waste really.

I don't know but I'd guess what is spent on fly tiping is buttons compared to the rest of it. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited February 6
    Jalapeno said:
    My regular dump is getting really picky - county residents only. I live a couple miles over the county border but have been using that site for decades.

Hi viz jobswoth on the gate said we weren't allowed, so we drove round the loop (emptying our garden waste in the appropriate bin on the way) .... all hell breaks loose with HiViz jobsworths everywhere, say they've taken car reg and reporting it to (their) council
    They weren't busy ... there was only 1 car on the site.

Hey ho ! Hopefully we just get a snotty letter or something, possibly a fixed penalty is the worst they can dream up.

you have to be a council tax paying resident in the "local authority" and you have to register online here,  if your car reg aint in the system, you dont get in.  End of.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3598
    There is a cost for land fill and ‘recycling’ carried by the residents. In these days of ultra tight budgets and a shortage of landfill, I would imagine Council’s are keen not to have outsiders contribute to costs. Most county councils in the south east already get income from that London for taking their rubbish to landfill or combust or process. Whey would they reduce that ability by having bloody locals use the facilities.