• bertie said:
    slacker said:
      tentagel. 

that a camping site ?  :lol: 
    Its a lotion for carpet burns.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AirmilesAirmiles Frets: 50
    It's Only Sausage Roll (But I Like It).

It's on our new set list - I'm keeping to a simple Blues Cheese vamp....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    I hate typing on a smell keyboard. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edited February 13
    Back with the original topic, here's some interesting stuff regarding guitar prices:

The list price price for a 1951 Fender Telecaster was $179.95. The US Dollar exchange rate with Sterling in that same year was £1 being equivalent to $2.80, so it works out at about 65 quid for that Tele in Britain in 1951.

For reference, in 1951, the UK's average monthly wage was 28 quid, so back then it would have cost nearly two and a half month's wages for Joe Blow to buy a Telecaster, assuming no other factors, such as cost of living and the cost of actually getting a Fender Telecaster to the UK. However, this is somewhat misleading because rationing was still in place in the UK and things were pretty austere, especially where luxury goods were concerned; a lot of rationing ended sooner than that, for example, all food had ended rationing by 1954, but rationing didn't completely go away until 1958 when the last item to still be rationed - coal - finally had that control lifted. 

Now if we factor in seventy-odd years of inflation and consider how badly Sterling has done, $179 in 1951 equates to £2,558 for that Telecaster in today's money, but since the average wage in the UK is now £2,331 - gross; the actual take home pay is £1,946 -  it would still be more than a month's wage for Joe Blow to buy that Fender Telecaster these days, but certainly not two and a half times his wage. It's worth noting too, that the list price for a Fender Vintage II 1951 Telecaster on the Fender website, is currently £2079, so technically, the Fender Telecaster has got a bit cheaper to buy over here in Blighty than it would have been in 1951 and is fairly near to being one month's average UK wage.

So in spite of what we tend to think (not forgetting cheaper models and very good copies for very much less money) it's clear that guitars have become way cheaper, way better made, and much more readily available than they were years ago.

On the other hand, the sausage and bacon butties at Greggs have gone up a bit recently.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3692

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 274
    edited February 15
    Case queen I would say
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom