Red or Black... NGD!!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27893
edited February 21 in Guitar
After some chonky flight delays, I owed you lot a GAS thread. Having successfully split opinion in my last thread, I went back on our last morning in Tokyo and played the black one again. This time wearing the closest I had to stage clothes so I could get a proper vibe check… 

A decision didn’t take long - this thing’s awesome

2022 Gibson CS ES-355 in VOS with factory Bigsby and all the mojo in the world. It’s in great condition and setup to perfection. Also barely half the price of a new one from Peach, thanks to a good deal and a low Yen. 

Ultimately it came down to picking the better instrument, combined with wanting more of a blank canvas and not something that would push me to play something specific based on my own preconceptions about what that guitar is “for” (ie Marr, Butler, NG)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 42reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    edited February 21
    First to give a Wow!

p.s. I am glad you picked the black one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12560
    edited February 21
    Looks awesome, and I too would have chosen black one based purely on looks.

All that remains to say is "thank fuck it wasn't a Murphy Labs job" :-)

HNGD!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27893
    Offset said:
    Looks awesome, and I too would have chosen black one based purely on looks.

All it remains to say is "thank fuck it wasn't a Murphy Labs job" :-)

HNGD!
    Yeah. I played this side by side with the ML version and honestly this was simply a better guitar in all respects. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    Never mind - Was banking on red

Seriously though you did the right thing in picking the one that felt better to play - Plus that pic looks better than the original shop pic as you can now see some of the VOS character - The original pic made it look to glossy - Enjoy owning and playing a might fine guitar

Seriously though you did the right thing in picking the one that felt better to play - Plus that pic looks better than the original shop pic as you can now see some of the VOS character - The original pic made it look to glossy - Enjoy owning and playing a might fine guitar
    That's pretty much the conclusion I came to. If I'd known I would have found the red one I'd have taken much better photos of this one at the first attempt! 

I still want to get a bit more “age” on it but that'll come in time - ideally through gigging & sweat!

One thing that is really nice though is the bridge - the top edge is gently chamfered which makes it much nicer under your hand. Not sure if it’s the original bridge but the gold plating is over the top so I assume it is standard like this. I didn’t notice the same on any others though. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A couple of things it does need - better strap buttons, and a Towner hinge plate thingy to make the strap button more accessible. Neither are a big deal :) 

I may also switch to vintage style machineheads as well, partly for looks and partly for lightness, but no hurry there. I doubt I'll change the pickups or wiring unless I have any real problems with feedback through my own gear at gig volume. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3013
    tFB Trader
    Lovely! Well scored.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4404
    The correct answer was of course green!

That's a very nice looking thing.

Enjoy mate. Hope it serves you well.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9727
    Absolutely gorgeous !
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to. If I'd known I would have found the red one I'd have taken much better photos of this one at the first attempt! 

I still want to get a bit more “age” on it but that'll come in time - ideally through gigging & sweat!

One thing that is really nice though is the bridge - the top edge is gently chamfered which makes it much nicer under your hand. Not sure if it’s the original bridge but the gold plating is over the top so I assume it is standard like this. I didn’t notice the same on any others though. 

Interesting and not something I had rarely noticed before - Just checked a couple of VOS/ML guitars I have in stock and yes they are slightly 'rounded' on the edge as per your pic - Whereas the same/similar ABR on a 'regular production' model has more of a 'sharp' edge 

Interesting and not something I had rarely noticed before - Just checked a couple of VOS/ML guitars I have in stock and yes they are slightly 'rounded' on the edge as per your pic - Whereas the same/similar ABR on a 'regular production' model has more of a 'sharp' edge 
    It's quite neat. I didn't notice it on the other ESes I tried, but I didn't notice they weren't rounded either. What is a little odd is that this is effectively trying to replicate 50 years of wear but of course being plated-over doesn't really make sense. Either way it feels nice so it's all good

Must be a relatively recent thing as the VOS 330 I have from the 2018 run has a regular ABR-1.  
  • Welcome to the black ES-3x5 club! :mrgreen: 

My VOS TL has the same softened-edge ABR-1 btw, it’s a nice touch for sure. Just a shame that yours has a bigsby ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 21
    One minor niggle… the case weighs a fecking tonne and I had to carry it through both airports. 

@Wazmeister how are you finding the mono bag? I’m ordering one asap unless anyone gives me a good reason not to! 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24905
    Has the case got a seat on board or are you trusting the baggage monkeys?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

I was flying business so figured I'd be ok. I can now confirm that the stupid heavy case fits in the overhead bins of an A350! I think I'd have got them to ship it to me if I'd been in economy. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9727
    One minor niggle… the case weighs a fecking tonne and I had to carry it through both airports. 

@Wazmeister how are you finding the mono bag? I’m ordering one asap unless anyone gives me a good reason not to! 
    Its superb mate - very robust and beautifully made :)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1217
    Exquisite.

I think a 355 is about as tasty as it gets. Also, black ESs are fairly rare compared to their cherry or sunburst counterparts so extra points for that.

A proper gent's guitar. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24905
    I was flying business so figured I'd be ok. I can now confirm that the stupid heavy case fits in the overhead bins of an A350! I think I'd have got them to ship it to me if I'd been in economy. 
    Nice.

It really is a beauty - it must play amazingly well for you to put up with the visual war crime of having a bigsby on it! :D 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 21
    Nice.

It really is a beauty - it must play amazingly well for you to put up with the visual war crime of having a bigsby on it! D 
    I tell you what, I just restrung it and remembered why I was so keen to put a B3 on the ES-330 and not a B7... 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    Nice. Red guitars are, as everyone knows, frightfully gauche. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."