Red or Black... NGD!!

What's Hot

Comments

• ChoivertChoivert Frets: 66
    It looks real nice. Good choice. The black is super classy. If it were me I prefer the look without the pick guard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Oof that ought to do it. Superb. Nice work
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27892
    Cheers all. 

Gave it a fret polish, board oil and new strings last night and it's settling in very nicely. First rehearsal with it on Saturday. 

My god the bottom strap button is useless though - tiny and recessed inside the bigsby plate. Utterly stupid! 

Also need a good strap. Any suggestions? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    edited February 22

Definitely a  furry one, but I'm not sure whether black, gold, or maybe both in a leopard-print look.

(actually, I am sure, but want you to realise that furry leopard print is the right answer on your own). 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 509
    That's a beauty! I recently bought a second hand black 355, not in as nice condition. I've noticed that on mine I think the bridge is in the wrong place as 3 of the saddles are as far forward as possible and I think it's still not intonating correctly, which is really frustrating. Other than that, they're beautiful guitars and so easy to play. I took the pickguard off mine though as I found it got slightly in the way of the pickup switch. Enjoy!
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You would rock that, and it goes with the guitar beautifully. 
    Sporky said:
    You would rock that, and it goes with the guitar beautifully. 
    To be fair, I definitely would...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4079
    Cheers all. 

Gave it a fret polish, board oil and new strings last night and it's settling in very nicely. First rehearsal with it on Saturday. 

My god the bottom strap button is useless though - tiny and recessed inside the bigsby plate. Utterly stupid! 

Bear Straps for a nice leather strap at a good price, or if you want something a bit high end, Heistercamp.

And congrats, that’s an awesome guitar.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3971
    edited February 22
    Sweet Jesus. I could never justify it but well played, that’s gorgeous.

I’d also not be able to resist playing Heaven knows I’m miserable now on it from the off.
  • Deadman said:
    Sweet Jesus. I could never justify it but well played, that’s gorgeous.

I’d also not be able to resist playing Heaven knows I’m miserable now on it from the off.
    Same here… one of my favourite songs to play 
  • I didn't comment on the original thread, but my choice would have been black, based purely on being the more unusual (and better looking imo) colour.

Congratulations, and HNGD! It looks wicked <3
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Every new guitar should come with a strap-on tbh
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • After some chonky flight delays, I owed you lot a GAS thread. Having successfully split opinion in my last thread, I went back on our last morning in Tokyo and played the black one again. This time wearing the closest I had to stage clothes so I could get a proper vibe check… 

A decision didn’t take long - this thing’s awesome

2022 Gibson CS ES-355 in VOS with factory Bigsby and all the mojo in the world. It’s in great condition and setup to perfection. Also barely half the price of a new one from Peach, thanks to a good deal and a low Yen. 

Ultimately it came down to picking the better instrument, combined with wanting more of a blank canvas and not something that would push me to play something specific based on my own preconceptions about what that guitar is “for” (ie Marr, Butler, NG)

Stage clothes? Are you an Elvis impersonator? That might go down well in Tokyo.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1200
    “You lucky, lucky bastard!” Congratulations, the black one was my pick. 

The Mono Vertigo case is what I use for my 335. I can’t fault it. 
  • PennPenn Frets: 681
    But it’s not red?!? 

I’ll admit it looks great. I love my ES-345. Bit jealous that you’ve got the one that is 10 dollars more expensive than mine. :) 

edited February 23
    Cheers all. It's settling in nicely now. Pickup heights adjusted to fairly close to where I want them. I might want a tremblier neck pickup (thinking P90 or Lollar El Rayo) but not going to do anything about that until I've played it a lot. 

Strapwise I already have a spare Heistercamp but I've never loved it. Whatever I use needs to be super-long which counts out my sparkly Copperpeaces but maybe I can get another sequin Levy's made up  

Domed thumbwheels and a towner hinge adapter are en route already. Need to work outage cheapest/easiest way to get a Mono case now. 

And the only Smiths songs I know how to play are How Soon Is Now and This Charming Man... 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2666
    Lovely guitar - red is just too much of a cliche. I'd never have thought the colour of a guitar would influence what you played though ;)

Having said that, I associate black ES's with Greg Dulli playing an E chord at 7th fret. Hope I haven't planted any invasive creative seeds!