Gibson and Jimmy Page announcement

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12559
    Having played a bandmate's CSL copy of the 1275 back in the 1970s, I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to own one.  It got used for two songs, and two songs only.  The first is obvious and the second was Genesis' 'Your Own Special Way'.  It was never used for anything else and whilst I liked to think I looked as cool as feck playing it, it was a bloody uncomfortable albatross.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    If you hang it on a wall bracket do you a ) need 2 brackets b ) hang it off the 12 string neck or c ) hang it off the 6 string neck
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4404
    timmypix said:
    If Gibson made a more affordable Les Paul Standard Page signature, or even an Epiphone one, you’d think they’d sell a load. Have there been such Page signatures in the past? 
    Gibson USA in the 90s, various custom shop versions in the early 00s.

I reckon we can expect this to follow the Adam Jones / Slash / Greeny template: a Jimmy Page collection of models (ie not just the niche double neck), start with ridiculous "collectors edition" Custom Shop models, then regular Custom shop, then USA production derivative, then premium Epiphone. All over the next 2-3 years.
    Peter Cooks had a 2nd hand, signed (and played) CS one of those for sale. This was back in the early 00’s. 

It fascinated me as it was 25k! 

I’m not sure they ever sold it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Either the lighting is very strange in that video or the back of the guitar is yellow... watch carefully.

TBH, thats a shit teaser video. It tells you nothing except JP likes miming to the Rumble with a TV aerial (copyright J. Page) around his neck
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

If you hang it on a wall bracket do you a ) need 2 brackets b ) hang it off the 12 string neck or c ) hang it off the 6 string neck
    I'd hang it from the neck I used least :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    Literally a Boat Anchor of a guitar 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5523
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4079
    It would be nice to see an Epiphone Page Number 1 Les Paul. Or the Custom… 
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 333
    Why do people want snot green plastic tuners? After being so upset about PRS using plastic tuners, how come Gibson get away with much a more egregious colour and design? 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4824
    edited February 22
    I've played an Epi version of the SG twin neck - so awkward and uncomfortable to play, and not exactly light.  I think it's a great solution if you genuinely are playing stuff live that needs a 6-12 string change, but I honestly don't recommend a twin-neck (Gibson or Epiphone) as just a guitar to 'have'.  The case is big and heavy too!  I liked the idea of one before I played it, and it was a very different playing experience, but as soon as I did I knew it just wasn't for me. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • edited February 22
    Why get angry? If there wasnt masses of people buying these things, they wouldnt make them 
    I'm not angry, that's my opinion. It seems with every passing move, Gibson gets more and more irrelevant to musicians and is content to stop innovating in that arena. It used to be a company which pushed forward (if you go back far enough), first archtop guitar, the tune-o-matic bridge (in more than one iteration), one of the first really usable electric rock guitars, made cheaper versions of the Les Paul for students (on more than one occasion), outsourced production and was prepared to alter its iconic guitars for streamlining and improving production, one of the first companies to really push the development of humbuckers by using it on a large-scale production guitar, and so on. These days it doesn't do any of that kind of thing, it's not much more than a company for old farts and collectors.

And in regard to the double neck guitar, given its limited usability, even if in a Zep tribute band, I'd just get one of the copies which can be had for about three hundred quid - which would be ironically quite fitting given the amount of stuf Jimmy 'Plage' copied - because I'd only be using it on pretty much one maybe two tracks, and even then it'd be more of a nod to the appearance than the actual sounds coming from the thing.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5012
    Voxman said:
    Could have been more original. Used the same Link Wray 'Runble'  riff in one of the car insurance ads! lol

But Jimmy clearly loves the riff!  And loves air guitar too (I think it was his air 59 LP he used in this one)

I met Jimmy Page at a record fair a few years back: I was browsing a stand and asked some bloke if he'd mind moving his things so I could look in the next box; I had a bit of a chat with him.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3329
    At least it seems in tune unlike when it was used in Live Aid I guess.  Childishness aside i met him about 15 years ago. He was a proper gent. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23840
    Offset said:
    Having played a bandmate's CSL copy of the 1275 back in the 1970s, I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would want to own one.  It got used for two songs, and two songs only.  The first is obvious and the second was Genesis' 'Your Own Special Way'.  It was never used for anything else and whilst I liked to think I looked as cool as feck playing it, it was a bloody uncomfortable albatross.
    Something I learned recently is that before Pino Palladino was a bass player(!) he played an Ibanez doubleneck in a Cardiff band called Trapper.  I think it was his only guitar at the time.

No photo description available
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They should make a doubleneck version of the new 24-fret SGs...now that would be awesome.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    The song will be over if it needs tuning whilst mid flow, they can't keep a 6 string in tune so 18 is asking a bit much imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Why get angry? If there wasnt masses of people buying these things, they wouldnt make them 
    I'm not angry, that's my opinion. It seems with every passing move, Gibson gets more and more irrelevant to musicians and is content to stop innovating in that arena. It used to be a company which pushed forward (if you go back far enough), first archtop guitar, the tune-o-matic bridge (in more than one iteration), one of the first really usable electric rock guitars, made cheaper versions of the Les Paul for students (on more than one occasion), outsourced production and was prepared to alter its iconic guitars for streamlining and improving production, one of the first companies to really push the development of humbuckers by using it on a large-scale production guitar, and so on. These days it doesn't do any of that kind of thing, it's not much more than a company for old farts and collectors.

And in regard to the double neck guitar, given its limited usability, even if in a Zep tribute band, I'd just get one of the copies which can be had for about three hundred quid - which would be ironically quite fitting given the amount of stuf Jimmy 'Plage' copied - because I'd only be using it on pretty much one maybe two tracks, and even then it'd be more of a nod to the appearance than the actual sounds coming from the thing.
    They are a lifestyle brands, with queues of customers. You wouldnt go and race the TT on a harley, but they are the same (although have closed a big few dealerships recently, so not the best example) 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    Seems like they'll be making a version of this black Les Paul Custom as well.
    prowla said:

I met Jimmy Page at a record fair a few years back: I was browsing a stand and asked some bloke if he'd mind moving his things so I could look in the next box; I had a bit of a chat with him.
    You can't just leave it there!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Presumably aimed at wealthy middle-aged males who want to hang this on a prominent wall.  It really says nothing to a younger breed of gigging guitarists, who don't seem to be interested in Gibsons anyway.

It does make one wonder... how relevant are Gibson these days to the 'average' guitarist who wants to make music and play it to an audience?  Does their real interest simply lie in making lifestyle conversation pieces for the well-heeled?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom