Gibson and Jimmy Page announcement

What's Hot

Comments

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2000
    I bought one of those MIM Dragon Telecasters when they first came out. The signature on it looks nothing like that signature in the ad incidentally. It's not bad to be fair but not sure it was worth the just over £1k it cost at the time. I don't hang guitars on walls so it's become a bit of a case queen. I remember at the time the US made Dragoncasters were personally signed and he did a bit of paintwork on each one which racked the price up to ~£25k I think. I think Jimmy has made several times more money post Zeppelin than he ever did during their heyday. Fair play to him. Probably needs that money to pay for his court case against the yob he lives next door to. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoundwoundRoundwound Frets: 285
    edited February 23
    I’ve yet to meet this often referenced younger breed of gigging, guitar music based musicians who has zero interest in Gibson guitars. Playing a squire in a bar band doesn’t exclude one from interest in Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12559
    I’ve yet to meet this often referenced younger breed of gigging, guitar music based musicians who has zero interest in Gibson guitars. Playing a squire in a bar band doesn’t exclude one from interest in Gibson.
    I'm not sure - that's why I asked the question :-)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    Case Candy - Nice bit of Black Tar Heroin, a selection of underage girls' phone numbers in a little sticky black book, and a well-thumbed Aleister Crowley book?

What else could they include to bump up that price? 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ Ouch!!!
  • stonevibe said:
    Case Candy - Nice bit of Black Tar Heroin, a selection of underage girls' phone numbers in a little sticky black book, and a well-thumbed Aleister Crowley book?

What else could they include to bump up that price? 
    A selection of other people's riffs for the owner to be 'inspired' by?
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4787
    Offset said:
    prowla said:

I met Jimmy Page at a record fair a few years back: I was browsing a stand and asked some bloke if he'd mind moving his things so I could look in the next box; I had a bit of a chat with him.
    You can't just leave it there!

He gets everywhere.  I met him on the stairs at the RFH at a Roy Harper gig.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • PLOP said:
    Why do people want snot green plastic tuners? After being so upset about PRS using plastic tuners, how come Gibson get away with much a more egregious colour and design? 
    One of the things I love about my 70s Saxon SG copy is that it has snot green tuners, and a Chigsby.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    It seems both Jimmy and Gibson should be added to the Chappers list. Any time either of them do anything we descend into the same old stuff. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • edited February 23
    PLOP said:
    Why do people want snot green plastic tuners? After being so upset about PRS using plastic tuners, how come Gibson get away with much a more egregious colour and design? 
    Actually they get away with more than that, they also have the white ones on Melody Makers, which look like they are off a 15 quid Spanish guitar bought whilst on holiday in 1975. But I think the point of that re PRS claims being laughed at, was Gibson have never claimed their green tuners featured 'tone-snot'.

To be fair though, I do actually quite like the green ones and have them on one or two of my Gibsons. I'm less in love with the white ones on my Melody Makers, but I've kept those on them because it is part of the MM 'look', i.e. a supposedly cheaper guitar; not that you'd know it from how much they cost these days.
  • It seems both Jimmy and Gibson should be added to the Chappers list. Any time either of them do anything we descend into the same old stuff. 
    Nah, we can forgive JP a lot for having been a musical inspiration, and we can even do that (a bit) for Gibson too, but Chappers has no redeeming qualities.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • So is most of it going to be done via a CNC machine if they're using 3D scanning? 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23840
    So is most of it going to be done via a CNC machine if they're using 3D scanning? 
    Would that be a bad thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    So is most of it going to be done via a CNC machine if they're using 3D scanning? 
    For Gibson, sort of, because all those Korean and Indonesian LP and SG copies are made that way too and cost three hundred quid, so sticking a 15 grand price tag on it is definitely gonna take some 'splainin'; however, I'm sure the Gibson marketing depatrment will be up for the challenge given they can put two PAFs in a box and call it a grand's worth.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    They use Authentic CNC Tone Machines 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibe said:
    They use Authentic CNC Tone Machines 
    Yup, and don't forget that tone logo and tone headstock, both of which automatically make it sound better than an Epiphone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 23
    Philly_Q said:
    For Gibson, sort of, because all those Korean and Indonesian LP and SG copies are made that way too and cost three hundred quid, so sticking a 15 grand price tag on it is definitely gonna take some 'splainin'; however, I'm sure the Gibson marketing depatrment will be up for the challenge given they can put two PAFs in a box and call it a grand's worth.
    All CNC will do is cut the wooden parts accurately, I've no problem with that.  I'd rather have something accurately CNC-machined, then neatly assembled, than a guitar with an overly-steep neck angle put together by a semi-concentrating, underpaid "traditional craftsman" armed with a couple of old chisels and a pot of hot hide glue.

Not that I'll be buying the bloody things anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

...a guitar with an overly-steep neck angle put together by a semi-concentrating, underpaid "traditional craftsman" armed with a couple of old chisels and a pot of hot hide glue.

You can head up to Norwich if that's your bag  ;)
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:

...a guitar with an overly-steep neck angle put together by a semi-concentrating, underpaid "traditional craftsman" armed with a couple of old chisels and a pot of hot hide glue.

You can head up to Norwich if that's your bag  ;)
    He's probably missed his calling.  Gibson could use those skillz.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2355
    I've met a fair few of them due to playing plenty of gigs in Yorkshire in the punk/alt scene. 

They all seem to be into ESP/Fender offsets/Teles/Schecter.

A lot of them even playing heavier music gravitated towards Fender shapes.