£8500 for a telecaster? REALLY?

What's Hot
rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 850
edited February 25 in Guitar
Just had a look at the GG website. Fender relic masterbuilt telecaster £8.5K. Has the world gone totally mad?
Discuss…………..

I think I should add that I really like Telecasters and I’m not having a go at the instrument per se!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Expensive chopboard  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 260
    Just had a look at the GG website. Fender relic masterbuilt telecaster £8.5K. Has the world gone totally mad?
    Discuss………….. :)
    Considering how terrible some of them look yes. The very lightly aged ones can look great but some of them…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 235
    edited February 25
    I recently had some dental work done privately as the pain was too much to handle… got a price for root canal and crown... over a grand!!!!!

this in comparison looks rather cheap. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I know that Ms Ybarra has retired and it costs billions to create a convincing AI to replicate her work but really? :)
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2598
    Not as mad as an 8.5k John Cruz Guitar
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notsopro said:
    I recently had some dental work done privately as the pain was too much to bear, got a price for root canal and crown... over a grand!!!!!

this in comparison looks rather cheap.  ;)
    Bit harsh to compare root canal work and telecasters in the same sentence:) but I get what you mean! I think……… :)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5943
    Doesn’t really matter if anyone buys it for that. Just the list price helps to reinforce that these guitars are highest value. It’s definitely not what the tele was designed to be though 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It's true the Telecaster was never a cheap guitar; its price was aking to approximately one month's wages way back when it first showed up, but eight and half grand is never what Leo Fender intended it to be.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 850
    edited February 25
    Expensive chopboard 
    Expensive to me is Starbucks charging £8.40 for 2 coffees! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6190
    dazzajl said:
    Doesn’t really matter if anyone buys it for that. Just the list price helps to reinforce that these guitars are highest value. It’s definitely not what the tele was designed to be though 
    You are right. In fact the idea of a 'masterbuilt' Telecaster verges on the oxymoronic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 235
    notsopro said:
    I recently had some dental work done privately as the pain was too much to bear, got a price for root canal and crown... over a grand!!!!!

this in comparison looks rather cheap.  ;)
    Bit harsh to compare root canal work and telecasters in the same sentence:) but I get what you mean! I think……… :)
    Yeah quite the opposite, just saying everything at the min is just really expensive, and I’d much rather pay 8 grand for something I want that’s fun, than over a grand for someone to make me miserable.

but yeah, I actually think the point that was made about the guitar not actually being something that’s expecting to sell quickly. You see it in the car industry a lot, manufactures making models that no one will buy (in any real numbers) because you might got into a dealers to look at a super car you can’t afford but end up buying the hatchback.

personally wouldn’t buy that at that price, would I judge someone who did, nah, if they have the money and buy it because it’s what they want.. good luck to them. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73214
    JezWynd said:

You are right. In fact the idea of a 'masterbuilt' Telecaster verges on the oxymoronic.
    It doesn’t just verge on it - the whole concept of a ‘masterbuilt’ Fender crosses the line in my opinion. They were designed from the outset to be mass produced, for all the right reasons.

This isn’t the reason why I’ve always preferred the ‘team built’ CS Fenders to the ‘masterbuilt’ ones I’ve played, but it may partly explain it. That was before I saw the thread about the one with QC faults too…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12630
    The Harley Benton ones for 130 quid are really surprisingly good...

£8500... that is a lot of money for a guitar...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5208
    I kinda like them being so far out of my league….not even on my radar, so it makes things nice and easy for me…
  • The Harley Benton ones for 130 quid are really surprisingly good...

£8500... that is a lot of money for a guitar...
    I think so.
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 473
    8.5K for a stonewash tele. 

BTW I also have some nice gold high tops I want to sell you........

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Twice in one day on here fender have taken a bashing (pardon the pun). Did Fender not pay their Fretboard protection payment this month?? :D 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    Considering my thinline compares to a masterbuilt at a fraction of the price it won't matter because it's what the headstock says.

People buy what they want to buy and you won't persuade them otherwise.

I think it's nuts but what do I know.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom