£8500 for a telecaster? REALLY?

What's Hot

Comments

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2973

People buy what they want to buy and you won't persuade them otherwise.

So what is it you want to persuade them to do: Not buy things they want to buy, or buy things they don't want to buy?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah ok I understand now that it’s ‘a weird denial of market forces’ thanks PQ.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23841
    edited February 26
    Ah ok I understand now that it’s ‘a weird denial of market forces’ thanks PQ.
    I was pointing you to the thread, not my own comments.  But your opening post did say "Discuss".  You can go on as much as you like about how mad it is, but if people are prepared to pay that price, let 'em pay it.  Meanwhile, you can buy a Telecaster for less than £400 if you want to, the choice is yours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27893
    Between the likes of Danocaster, K-line, MB, etc I haven’t a clue why you’d spend that sort of coin for any CS Fender (beyond bragging rights, I guess?)

Equally my MJT Tele is the best Telecaster I’ve ever played and genuinely dicks on anything I’ve ever played from Fender to the extent I don’t even GAS over them at all these days. I’ve changed!!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3694
    edited February 26
    So, a 'master builder' takes a load of parts off a shelf, assembles them, makes them look old and thats somehow 'master built' compared to none 'master built'?

Ok,. Thats an expensive skill , turning a screw driver.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9641
    Way way less stupid than vintage prices. 
    CBS tele for 15k? https://www.atbguitars.com/1968-fender-telecaster-candy-apple-red-ohsc
    Or how about approaching 50k? 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    edited February 26 tFB Trader
    Bigsby said:

So what is it you want to persuade them to do: Not buy things they want to buy, or buy things they don't want to buy?
    No I'm not persuading anyone because you can't,  it doesn't matter what me or anybody else thinks, it's irrelevant, they buy what they want regardless of the cost, I don't think they're worth it and that's just an opinion.

Same as a 30k watch etc, even if I had the money I wouldn't buy them.

I never understood masterbuilt anyway because they just screw the stuff together, it's mass made same as the other stuff.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Fender obviously realise that there are people daft enough to pay it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    chris78 said:
    Way way less stupid than vintage prices. 
    CBS tele for 15k? https://www.atbguitars.com/1968-fender-telecaster-candy-apple-red-ohsc
    Or how about approaching 50k? 
    I know which one I’d rather buy though. 

Walk out of ATB with a 1968 tele and it’ll still be worth £15k, more so a year down the line.

Walk out of another shop with a Fender MB at £9k which is worth about £5-6k by the time you get home that same day. 

Live and let live, consumers have never had it so good. Don’t like the look of a £9k tele? Plenty of other options from a few hundred quid up. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PennPenn Frets: 681
    At these prices I’m sort of surprised no one has started to reproduce exact replicas… only a matter of time I’m sure. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11153
    tFB Trader
    I'd never pay eight and a half grand for a Tele, but then I'd never pay eight and a half grand for any guitar - I'm a cheapskate.
    Teles have always been to me the ultimate working musician's guitar: Enough to do what you need and no more. Modular, easily customised, but essentially a high quality, mass produced workman's tool. To produce a luxury Telecaster is to me like producing a gold plated, diamond encrusted spanner - utterly pointless  :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27893
    Bigsby said:

No I'm not persuading anyone because you can't,  it doesn't matter what me or anybody else thinks, it's irrelevant, they buy what they want regardless of the cost, I don't think they're worth it and that's just an opinion.

I never understood masterbuilt anyway because they just screw the stuff together, it's mass made same as the other stuff.

Yep. And high end cars, stupid ugly sneakers and ludicrous handbags - a certain category of wealthy idiots people have actually been shown to want to spend money on something even more when the price goes up. 

It's called the Veblen Effect - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good ;

And boy do I see it a lot living in Abu Dhabi...!!  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    Masterbuilt by the masterbuilders team more like,  yet still you guys think you are buying a guitar 'built' by one guy. 
    I have written proof by an ex senior masterbuilder that a run of 150 guitars sold as masterbuilt by him were in fact not. He told me that he only built the first five or six. Its just marketing nonsense to up the price. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    I don’t think anyone is under the illusion that MB fenders are built by one person, in the world of mass manufacturing (which is what fender do) it’s a ridiculous notion. There are videos on YouTube showing that these MBs involve other people too. 

But I’ve said it before, if you’re willing to pay £4k plus on top of CS prices for a good £80 setup and name on the headstock then fair play to you.

Each to their own, plenty of choice out there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3126
    I think we’re just going to have to accept that anything new coming out is going to cost far more than we’re willing to shell out. Don’t get excited for anything new anymore and just keep what we have. The market needs a correction
  • I'd never pay eight and a half grand for a Tele, but then I'd never pay eight and a half grand for any guitar - I'm a cheapskate.
    Teles have always been to me the ultimate working musician's guitar: Enough to do what you need and no more. Modular, easily customised, but essentially a high quality, mass produced workman's tool. To produce a luxury Telecaster is to me like producing a gold plated, diamond encrusted spanner - utterly pointless  :-)
    Some say cheapskate, some say sensible!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    A fool and his money...
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 317
    I personally can’t see how my elite model could be bettered. It cost me £1300 which stung at the time. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10406
    ditchboy said:
    I personally can’t see how my elite model could be bettered. It cost me £1300 which stung at the time. 
    I've had one of those Elites. I don't like the neck profile, too flat, the edges weren't rolled, the pickups were noiseless and I'm not a fan of them, I prefer the look of the button style tuners, it was heavy. Admittedly a lot of those are subjective so this is just my opinion, but I have a CS and it's much lighter, the neck profile is a 60's C which I prefet and the finish is much nicer. So for me, it would be better in pretty much every way to an Elite/Ultra. 
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2973
    Bigsby said:

As someone who builds and sells guitars, perhaps you can expand on that comment a bit? I've never really understood this as an argument, despite hearing it repeated a lot: Aren't all guitars either screwed together or glued together, including all mass produced ones? So should we dismiss all expensive guitars as just bits of wood screwed or glued together, and simply refuse to buy anything that costs more than a Harley Benton? I don't believe that, but it seems to be where the argument takes you.

As for Masterbuilt - and I'm sure you know this already - it provides customers with the opportunity to have more options for their guitar, and a conversation about the build with the guy who is building it. It's so popular that some builders occasionally close their waiting lists as they're too long. The bit that I don't fully understand (and perhaps this is what you meant?) is why dealers are ordering masterbuilt for their stock, as the two most important factors no longer apply (choice and personal involvement). My best guess is customers of these guitars are under a misapprehension regarding what they're buying, or perhaps it's just bragging rights. But I don't think the blame for that lies with Fender, who are simply providing a highly demanded service, (and to me, they seem to be very honest about what's on offer).