SG types that do not neck dive?

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
I like the idea of an SG. The compactness, the lightness, the scale length etc etc.
I hate neck dive, and wobbly necks.

So with that in mind I assume that nothing Gibson or Epi will meet those requirements.

What else is out there that is worth looking at?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23760
    I think you might need a headless SG....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27856
    edited February 28
    My SG doesn't dive. You just need to find a good one and use a non-slippy strap. And make sure it doesn't have heavy tuners. 

The old Standard model is a good bet (I think the new ones are back to this spec too) - smaller headstock, vintage tuners, lovely medium neck profile. Specials tend to have fat necks which hurts, and CS reissue stuff usually has the "worse" neck joint (more flappy neck and more prone to dive) plus bigger headstocks. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4221
    My SG Junior doesn't neck dive at all, its as light as a feather too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 28
    There are a few to consider.... Guild S-100, ESP Viper, PRS Mira.  Knaggs Honga if you're feeling spendy.  And maybe Reverend still make an SG type, I'm not sure.

The only one of those I'm familiar with is the Mira, of which I've owned many...  They're still slightly neck-heavy, but much less so than an SG.

I believe the Guild and ESP are both a bit thicker in the body, which helps counteract neck-heaviness, and the slightly different body shapes may balance differently in any case.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7775
    I think if you stray away from the Gibson SG formula too far (and just focus on the looks) then the compactness and lightness will be compromised rapidly.

Might be a case of trying a load in person, somehow. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14821
    Yer typical Gibson SG would balance perfectly on a strap if it sported a lump of steel between the Tune-o-Matic bridge and the lower bout strap button. Namely: a Maestro sideways action Vibrola.

This is not to say that anyone should use the confounded contraption. Just that, by an amazing coincidence, it is exactly the right weight to solve neck dive.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've got an SG Classic which doesn't dive at all, but it's quite heavy for an SG - about 7lb 10oz, if I remember right - and it also has the little white plastic button tuners, so overall the weight's concentrated in the body.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1401
    my greco sg is super light and doesn't dive. it has a few small counterweights in the control cavity and i use a slippy nylon strap. wear it higher than you think looks cool. that helps reduce the neck-heavy balance.
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1120
    Get one with a bigsby! It will balance it out, and you will be cool. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Cool, as in 'deserve to be cold and dead in the ground because they are an abomination against man and god' type cool?

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12548
    Gordon Smith?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My SG doesn't dive. You just need to find a good one and use a non-slippy strap. And make sure it doesn't have heavy tuners. 

The old Standard model is a good bet (I think the new ones are back to this spec too) - smaller headstock, vintage tuners, lovely medium neck profile. Specials tend to have fat necks which hurts, and CS reissue stuff usually has the "worse" neck joint (more flappy neck and more prone to dive) plus bigger headstocks. 

This.

The standard 61’s are regularly discounted to the same price as the ‘modern’ standards. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Well - that Guitar competition page that a few people have won from has just listed an SG as a prize for a ticket of only 50pence.

So, that might be the best £1 I've spent for a long time! :D 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cool, as in 'deserve to be cold and dead in the ground because they are an abomination against man and god' type cool?
    Yep, that type of cool.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6835
    I had a 2009 SG classic (P90s) that didn't neck dive, had a gorgeous neck and was everything any sane person could possibly want in a guitar. I sold it. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Les Paul Special
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    My Gibson SG special doesn't suffer from neck dive, probably due to the bigsby b7 I managed to bodge on it with the help of a vibramate...
    merlin said:
    I had a 2009 SG classic (P90s) that didn't neck dive, had a gorgeous neck and was everything any sane person could possibly want in a guitar. I sold it. 
    I wonder if it's the one I've got?  (Probably not, I don't think it's an '09 and it's not that great.)
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1120

I'll put you down as a maybe for the bigsby. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 642

Yeah, vampires have always been cool.