1235»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Cool - any thoughts on wobbly necks?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23760
    edited March 1
    I was going to say it's hard to find a really good SG, I've had loads of them and none were brilliant.... but then I thought that's not necessarily SGs, it's just Gibsons in general.
    The above was not a reply to the wobbly neck question...  it's not something that I've ever noticed that much, but I don't do Slash-style neck bending on my guitars.  I'm conscious of the '61 style neck joint being a weak spot, but I've mostly owned SGs with the more modern style which (I think) is sturdier.  Also I try to buy SGs with thicker necks, which I guess helps to defeat the "whippy" factor.  I've never owned a '61 reissue, with the old-style neck joint and a slim-taper neck, I imagine that could be pretty whippy.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 834
    edited March 1
    As I mentioned, mine’s a 61 where the neck join is 2 frets higher, as well as being slim taper. I was very much on the lookout for any signs of bendiness/flimsiness, and was fully prepared to send it back if that were the case. It’s been absolutely fine, and that’s even when swapping straight from other nominally more ‘stable’ guitars in the same session, which would be sure to throw any issues into sharp relief, no pun intended.
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1073
    edited March 1
    Knaggs Honga just feels totally different. 24 fret though if that puts you off.
    superb guitars.
    I put the Gibson in storage since the Knaggs arrived. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23760
    Rob1742 said:
    Knaggs Honga just feels totally different. 24 fret though if that puts you off.
    superb guitars.
    I put the Gibson in storage since the Knaggs arrived. 
    I'm sure Knaggs guitars are great, but none of the models look quite right to me.  The Honga most of all, unfortunately.
  • KevSKevS Frets: 512
    I think the Guild S100 has a long neck tenon..