SG types that do not neck dive?

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    My Gibson SG doesn't neck dive. Its not for sale, though so that doesn't help you.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1660
    merlin said:
    I had a 2009 SG classic (P90s) that didn't neck dive, had a gorgeous neck and was everything any sane person could possibly want in a guitar. I sold it. 
    That deserves so much more than a normal wiz/lol thingy .. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23760
    This one won't dive.

Video 1993 Gibson Headless SG Standard Red Reverb 43 OFF
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2592
    The strings just dive off the saddles instead
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1010
    Move the strap pin to the top horn where it always should have been.

Works for me and for Mr Iommi.

Don't listen to the twaddle about breakage (unless you use it to chop firewood!)
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1424
    edited February 28
    I had a Guild Polara. It didn't neck dive, but there was more "body" to it compared to a Gibson. Also had an ESP Ltd Viper years ago. No neck dive either, 24 frets, but not as cool looking. Very good guitar though.
    Curious to hear about the Gordon Smiths. These look like really cool options in that you can spec it out yourself beforehand.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited February 28
    Try the Guild Polara, I had an old reissue and there was no neck dive with that at all because it weighed a tonne! The new ones look incredible and hopefully they've found a middle ground weight wise.

https://guildguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/newark-st-collection/#solid-body
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    @Creed_Clicks I really should read all the posts before adding my own! =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Philly_Q said:
    This one won't dive.

Video 1993 Gibson Headless SG Standard Red Reverb 43 OFF
    I know you are joking but at the same time....

I love that the headstock veneer has been used for the tuners. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Try the Guild Polara, I had an old reissue and there was no neck dive with that at all because it weighed a tonne! The new ones look incredible and hopefully they've found a middle ground weight wise.

https://guildguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/newark-st-collection/#solid-body
    Yeah, mine wasn't light, not heavy either, but heavy enough to defeat the purpose of wanting an SG!
    h aha hhahahahahahahahahaha!

I like absurd ideas, but those are just bad!

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    You have to try SGs in person ... I've handled identical models where one dives and the other doesn't. The balancing act is so fine that a particularly dense neck or a particularly light body will bugger things up good and proper. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2973
    Offset said:
    Gordon Smith?
    Definitely worth looking at since they changed their body carve, I now prefer it to the typical Gibson carve:

I have one, but mine is really a Tele with an SG body. And, FWIW, I prefer it to any of the Gibson SGs I've owned.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • floeighty2floeighty2 Frets: 161
    You have to try SGs in person ... I've handled identical models where one dives and the other doesn't. The balancing act is so fine that a particularly dense neck or a particularly light body will bugger things up good and proper. 
    Exactly this. I tried 4 identical models in the shop and they all varied in terms of weight, sound, feel and just that something when you know it’s right.  
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 988
    My SG doesn't dive. You just need to find a good one and use a non-slippy strap. And make sure it doesn't have heavy tuners. 

This....

I had a standard that suffered from neck dive so I bought a wide leather strap and it cured it completely.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    Ive just got a 2005 a Gibson SG Special faded , it doesn’t dive
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    I have a 2008 Standard and it doesn't dive even with a slippy strap (Couch Racer X). It weighs 7lbs-something so heavy ish for an SG. Feels great on a strap and the rounded neck profile is nice, though I'm finding it feels a bit big for me recently - though possibly just because I'm not playing loads at the minute so I'm using it as an excuse :) 
    relic245 said:
    My SG doesn't dive. You just need to find a good one and use a non-slippy strap. And make sure it doesn't have heavy tuners. 

This....

I had a standard that suffered from neck dive so I bought a wide leather strap and it cured it completely.
    I don’t find that comfy. The weight still pulls on the strap in the direction of the dive. I prefer a properly balanced thing in the first place.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7775
    relic245 said:

This....

I don’t find that comfy. The weight still pulls on the strap in the direction of the dive. I prefer a properly balanced thing in the first place.
    Nobody put a pea under his mattress… :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom