Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New watch

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    All that gubbins in there doesn't leave much space for the battery. ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The rotor on my Seiko is a bit noisy/rattly. Is that normal? It works just fine.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3690
    holnrew said:
    The rotor on my Seiko is a bit noisy/rattly. Is that normal? It works just fine.
    They often are, you are probably hearing the rotor bearing. 

It will be fine.
    Nice one @joneve.

The co-axial escapement is a really interesting development. Originally designed by George Daniels.

A lovely present from your wife. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    holnrew said:
    Try putting some "mood" music on before you have a wank. You probably won't hear it then.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snap said:
    yes it is.That's v nice.

The world of watches is like any other interest: there's a shitload of stuff to know and discover, and too many people half arse their way into it, don't research enough, and buy something too obviuous, and probably not the best value (for their pocket).

This is why so many people buy the Rolex Submariner - cos they want a Rolex, and then go for the obvious. Whereas IMO an Explorer II or a Seadweller is far nicer, and less obvious/common. Something different appeals to me more.

If you get something obvious, it won't hold its value as well, as there's lots of them about. And IMO it requires less thought and imagination in the first place. The hunting down, research etc is for me, the best part of it all.

IWC, they make some of my favourite watches. They did a St Exupery limited edition, my Dad has one. It's lovely. I think he paid about £3500 for it 12 years ago. I was in Lucerne recently, and they had one in a shop  - £9000! Really nice watch.

I also like Panerais. Nice styling.
    Wisdom awarded. 
    The hunting down and research is indeed the best part of all. 
    My favourite thing is to get around flea markets and boot sales to look for old mechanical watches. It is much harder nowadays but occasionally if you have the requisite knowledge you can unearth a gem. 

IWC's are a great old company, I have a couple. 

I too like the Rolex Explorer II especially in the white dial version as it makes a change from the black dialled sports Rolexes.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Anyone seen the new Deep Blue Submariner? Looks very nice.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1488
    @Neil That is, without doubt, the best Rolex I've ever seen. Usually really not my cup of tea, but I really like that.

I would love an IWC, their chrono's are mostly always stunning. 

Panerai's aren't to my taste, but I know my mate yearns after one. 

edited October 2014
    I really like the look of Tag Heuers, but from what I can gather they're not worth the money. If I ever have thousands to spend on a watch, it will be a Breitling Superocean Heritage I think.

My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ooh I like that. Pretty intrigued by the mechanism too.
    My V key is broken