What's your best price for cash?

What's Hot
nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
I really don't get why this question is an expectation on getting something cheaper?

I've a couple of guitars on ebay and had a guy firstly ask..where are you? I've replied, then informs me "You'll have to meet me halfway, i'm in Dagenham". So I've replied, ok, I'm happy to meet you at J24 on the A12.

Then pops up the question " What's the best price for cash"

Well, cash is an inconvenience these days, firstly I've got to count it, I've got to trust that it's real cash, I've then got to deposit the cash into the bank so in reality, I should be charging a premium for the inconvenience.

Do you expect discount for "Cash"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 513
    Only if an alternative payment scheme involved installments, which I assume a private sale wouldn't
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • trevAtrevA Frets: 42
    I always thought that "cash" in this sense was just a euphemism for "off the books". Electronic transfer would still be viable.. but you have to wait for it to appear in your account before driving away.

I think if I had driven to buy something and wasn't going via PayPal then I'd be looking to pay less than the original price due to the lack of buyer protection. Item could be fake or I could get mugged would be my main risks of worry.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3332
    If he is making you work for your money it’s best to walk away. A simple ‘would you be willing to meet part way’, is so much better than ‘you’ll have to’ and usually helps you to weed out the tyre kickers and dealers. As you say, cash is inconvenient, so I’d be blunt: ‘you’ve got my best price and are costing me fuel and time, so cash will carry an administration surcharge’ see how the door handle responds to that. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7054
    Cash is more hassle than bank transfers, so I’d put the price up to cover my time to go to the bank to pay it in.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5114
    edited March 9
    I don’t expect a discount for cash. I frequently get asked ‘what’s your best price’ which is fine and I may well ask the same question if I’m interested in buying something.

The last time I took a significant amount of cash for a guitar, £2k, I counted it twice and it was £100 short. The buyer counted it and said, innocently, ‘you’re right, oh gosh I’ve no idea how that happened, no worries I’m sure I’ve got another £100 in cash on me.’ And sure enough he did have the other £100 in cash in his wallet ready and waiting. I can’t prove he was trying to pull a fast one but…

I agree with you that cash can be a pain to handle and bank transfer is my preference, or maybe PayPal if it’s a member on here who I know very well.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    All i replied with after that was, I'd rather deal through Ebay, please feel free to use the best offer option, Went silent from there.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4883
    No surprise there, then. If someone wants to pay cash and asks you to drive somewhere, it's a recipe for a no show and no sale.

Good luck with getting a reliable buyer sometime soon! 
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 103
    Who wants cash nowadays anyway?  Bank transfer / paypal / tap n’ go - just so easy now. 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
    Cash to me includes direct funds transfer. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1029
    Cash is often preferable if you’re self employed. 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3685
    Haggling isn't a bad thing, something is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay. I would trust cash more than an electronic payment, 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 297
    There’s also less chance of the buyer trying to reverse the transaction if you’ve accepted cash.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    edited March 9
    Cash is often preferable if you’re self employed. 
    A lot of banks charge businesses for depositing cash, so again that can be a hindrance. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 331
    edited March 9
    I don’t care about cash for gear, because I tend to treat it as a float. I mean the money I make from this sale is normally earmarked  for something else I have my eye on. At the moment, I’ve got a Paul on gumtree, and I’ve had some messages with no other content than “what is your lowest price?” Which I feel is quite abrupt when they can’t even even be bothered to type the word Hello

I think I have the guitar listed for a fair price based on exact same models sold recently, and obviously via gumtree there are no fees to consider. 

if I list something for £350 for example, I would normally be willing to knock as much as £50 off, but only if the buyer seems polite enough to “deserve it” you know what I mean? if they are clearly interested in playing, or have spent time asking questions about it specifically before arranging a meet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 235
    I do wonder these days if the question about 'cash' actually means 'how much would you take if we did the deal outside of 'ebay, reverb, etc'. 

It is a strange one that I've had a bit of experience with lately, because these days I'm guessing we all take advantage of the e-bay fee discounts etc, and I've actually had people get annoyed at me for saying 'actually mate, I'd rather pay Ebay £25 on this £1000 transaction' as whilst I don't trust them all that much, I'm happy to pay to know I've got something to fall back on.

Best one I had was a message on Facebook "I'll have the X-guitar you have on ebay, I've worked out the fee's are going to be £x amount, therefore I'll come and collect it, I'll give you (price minus fee's excl delivery) then you save on the fee's and I get the guitar cheaper" To which they were very upset when I replied and suggesting that I'm not sure how that was any benefit to me at all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 267
    Cash to me includes direct funds transfer. 
    Same, so it always makes me think... what is the other option? I don't have a credit facility
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    PLOP said:
    I don’t care about cash for gear, because I tend to treat it as a float. I mean the money I make from this sale is normally earmarked  for something else I have my eye on. At the moment, I’ve got a Paul on gumtree, and I’ve had some messages with no other content than “what is your lowest price?” Which I feel is quite abrupt when they can’t even even be bothered to type the word Hello

I think I have the guitar listed for a fair price based on exact same models sold recently, and obviously via gumtree there are no fees to consider. 

if I list something for £350 for example, I would normally be willing to knock as much as £50 off, but only if the buyer seems polite enough to “deserve it” you know what I mean? if they are clearly interested in playing, or have spent time asking questions about it specifically before arranging a meet. 
    £300 for the Paul?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    notsopro said:
    I do wonder these days if the question about 'cash' actually means 'how much would you take if we did the deal outside of 'ebay, reverb, etc'. 

It is a strange one that I've had a bit of experience with lately, because these days I'm guessing we all take advantage of the e-bay fee discounts etc, and I've actually had people get annoyed at me for saying 'actually mate, I'd rather pay Ebay £25 on this £1000 transaction' as whilst I don't trust them all that much, I'm happy to pay to know I've got something to fall back on.

Best one I had was a message on Facebook "I'll have the X-guitar you have on ebay, I've worked out the fee's are going to be £x amount, therefore I'll come and collect it, I'll give you (price minus fee's excl delivery) then you save on the fee's and I get the guitar cheaper" To which they were very upset when I replied and suggesting that I'm not sure how that was any benefit to me at all.
    I'm presuming it was an invitation to deal outside of ebay, as you say it is listed on an 80% FVF "discount" i'd rather pay ebay the fee, hand over face to face and be done, I don't mind meeting halfway within reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10398
    I'd just say there's no difference and go from there. 

You can't be surprised that people will use every excuse to get money off. 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2456
    How much for cash is just an old school dealing term likely now somewhat outdated. I come from a couple of generations in the retail motor trade, It was a question heard numerous times daily. The self employed like cash...fact. The move to make us all use card payments is a way for the powers that be to end the black economy which is still HUGE. If you aren't or have never been self employed then you cannot imagine the scale of this. The rise of card payments is linked to the rise in prices to compensate for the now unavoidable declared income and thus tax paid. This has not yet reached my local asian takeaways who still refuse cards, don't have a till register or indeed a till roll lol. I swear if we abandoned cash these places would close. Cash is for now still king as the old saying goes....but the net is closing in, the party is ending. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom