What's your best price for cash?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• ShipwreckShipwreck Frets: 65
    Danny1969 said:
     Victorious festival when the 4G goes down and all the card machines won't work. (every flipping year!)

This is so wonderfully specific. I'm personally adverse to cash except for takeaways and Victorious festival's rogue internet!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29192
    I once had somebody who agreed a price on the phone - when he arrived he told me he "only had £XXX on him",
    I had someone do that. I said "there are cash machines in town". He then found the rest in another pocket. I refused to sell to him, which was particularly satisfying as he'd driven over an hour to mine.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Kurtis said:

I really don't see why people don't just price things fairly in the first place and people buy it if the want.
    I do, but I think a lot of people build in a bit to cover haggling.

I sold a load of stuff here a few years back - someone got really angry when they offered £3 under the (very reasonable) asking price on something and someone else offered the asking price and got it. The former thought they should have had the opportunity to offer the additional £3; I felt he was an asshat.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 853
    edited March 11
    Sporky said:
    I once had somebody who agreed a price on the phone - when he arrived he told me he "only had £XXX on him",
    I had someone do that. I said "there are cash machines in town". He then found the rest in another pocket. I refused to sell to him, which was particularly satisfying as he'd driven over an hour to mine.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Kurtis said:

I really don't see why people don't just price things fairly in the first place and people buy it if the want.
    Sure, but if everyone just started at the post haggle price we could cut out the Tom wankery 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2280
    I don't have a haggle price. The answer to lowest price is you've already seen it. The answer to best price is 500 more than I'm asking..the answer to I've got little money is don't buy my custom shop guitar you idiot.

I usually write adverts so that people are under no illusion. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 755
    Mostly I only buy and sell stuff on here and I list stuff for the same price I paid for it typically so that always seems like a fair price to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 187
    I once had somebody who agreed a price on the phone - when he arrived he told me he "only had £XXX on him".

"Hold on a moment while I get a saw".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2456
    slacker said:
    I don't have a haggle price. The answer to lowest price is you've already seen it. The answer to best price is 500 more than I'm asking..the answer to I've got little money is don't buy my custom shop guitar you idiot.

That's fine if your price is well placed and realistic, but honestly some of the forum and private reverb prices are more than retail on the pricier stuff.
    I was laughing at a Masterbuilt strat the other day....on ebay it was £6900, on Facebook marketplace £4900 and on Reverb £5400. Clueless, what kind of message does that send out.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4393
    Strat54 said:
    slacker said:

That's fine if your price is well placed and realistic, but honestly some of the forum and private reverb prices are more than retail on the pricier stuff.
    I was laughing at a Masterbuilt strat the other day....on ebay it was £6900, on Facebook marketplace £4900 and on Reverb £5400. Clueless, what kind of message does that send out.
    The price difference between Facebook and Reverb makes perfect sense. Difference between Ebay and Reverb, less so.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14835
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    slacker said:

the same seller/same guitar ?
  • CampbellHCampbellH Frets: 74
    Cash is fine by me at the same price. Although I add, that's what I usually expect as I don't trade in bananas or camels.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29192
    Kurtis said:
    Sporky said:
    Sure, but if everyone just started at the post haggle price we could cut out the Tom wankery 
    Indeed. I tended to price at the lowerish end of completed listings, and say "offers if you can show that my price is wrong". 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    I think people say it because they've heard it said and so think it's a thing you might say to get a discount without understanding why.

I know a few tradesmen who do work for each other either in kind which keeps it off the books full stop, or pay each other in cash and thus keep it off the books.
    I've had quite a few older tradesmen who grumble if you don't want to settle up in cash, don't like providing receipts etc. They are the people who would have a cash price (with no paper trail) and a properly invoiced through the bank price. 
    Obviously doing it all above board is your best option.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4309
    Cash is still King  to some of us. I don’t mind PayPal for buying though as it means I can get it on credit 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4309
    BillDL said:
    I could imagine that asking for a cash payment rather than electronic payment would be beneficial to a seller that's claiming government benefits or similar and doesn't want extra income to show up in a bank account, but I don't really see the benefit of a buyer asking the seller to accept cash except if the buyer was claiming benefits and didn't want a record of outgoings on non-essential purchases showing up in a bank statement.  Similarly some guy that's accrued some cash and wants to hide purchases from a spouse would obviously prefer to buy using cash.

The last time I went to the bank to deposit more than £2,500 in cash was after my elderly mother had been in hospital and housebound and she insisted on me taking money from the ATM with her card to reimburse me for all the shopping I had been doing for her.  I wasn't familair with the machine inside where you shove your money and card into and it counts the notes, so I went to the counter to deposit it.  I was really annoyed when the cashier asked about the source of the cash with some excuse about having to be vigilant about money laundering or some nonsense, but obviously my explanation was acceptable and I told her that I strongly objected to being asked about my financial affairs.
    You think that’s bad . I used different envelopes to manage my bills , gas,electric food,water  phone/internet . I was in Santander and asked if I could change a 20 for four fives  as it made it easier for me to manage my bills  & she said you’ll have to pay it in first  due to money laundering 
    something or another .  It’s not like I’d turned up with £150k in an aluminium briefcase wearing  Price Suit  fresh from Miami , I just wanted a few fivers to apportion out my debts better
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16296
    Swapping a £20 note for 4x£5 isn't exactly  Pablo Escobar but the Hippo on the other end of a lead could have been a dead giveaway